1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Charisma and diplomacy

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by MagicPot, Aug 11, 2009.

1. MagicPot Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

QUESTION! To anyone so kind to answer.

Is charisma used for anything other than casting and store prices? I tested a handful of characters with different char and diplo scores when you first encounter those soldiers in Targos. High and low char doesn't seem to make you any more or less likable in Targos (in BG, for example, give your character low char and everyone treats you like a barbaric idiot). Anyways, back to the beginning test, with 18 char you can ask for the extra equipment. With 5 char plus 4 diplo you get the same options. Now, since your party talker is going to have diplo anyways, is charisma necessary? I only have this one test to go on, so I'm asking people who obviously have much more experience than me with the game. I'm guessing from my limited experience that high diplo is the same as high charisma.

2. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

Ok, just to be clear your diplomacy score (and bluff and intimidate, they work exactly the same) is your diplomacy skill points + your charisma modifier (if negative then this brings it down obviously). So yes they are the same thing in that your overall score is the two added together.

The dialogue skills aren't used in the vast majority of talking you do during the game. Occassionally you'll be given a response option which clearly falls under one of the three categories. For the response to work your overall diplomacy score will need to be at least as high as the difficulty score assigned to that response (you will not be told what this is). It's not 100% necessary to use the dialogues, you'll always be able to fight your way through but occassionally you'll get better items or some such from using the talk option.

Most people will designate one character that they'll use to do all of their 'talking.' He should have at least a decent Int (so he can spare skill points in the dialogue skills) and a decent Cha (the modifier is worth the same as a lot of skill points, especially when you consider it affects all three skills). A really high skilled character could of course still do the job with a bad Cha but as it's only Cha that affects store prices and not the skills I'd be reluctant to go down that route.

Bards and Sorcerers are obviously the best choice for the talker if you have one. Cha is their most important stat anyway. Paladin's use Cha but refuse some quest awards so can be a bit dodgy to use (and will probably want to dump Int so no skills). Rogues and Wizards should have the Int to get a lot of skill points. They've no use for Cha themselves unless they're the designated talker but they can probably get away with crimping back on some of the physical stats as they're not front line fighters.

3. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] You won't get access to certain dialogue options unless you meet a minimum CHA requirement, but these are only a few, so it isn't crucial for gameplay. There are also a few WIS and INT requirements in the game, for dialogue options.

4. JT Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    That's how it is supposed to work in 3E, though its certainly possible that there might be a few dialogues/quests that only look at CHA.

It's nice to have the party talker be a bard/sorc so you can save on skill points, but regardless, you don't want to be raising CHA above 3 for any other class.

5. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

Paladins also get to add it to their saving throw scores so it's important to them too. As Int is the only attribute they don't use though it's not easy to maximise it.

While most disagree I find the turn undead ability very handy for clerics. Undead are fairly rare in the game but turn undead is awesome against them and is affected by Cha. Still, I wouldn't go overboard on this, you'll only get to use it the odd time. 10 - 12 Cha at most and I certainly wouldn't take any of the feats. If you're not planning on your cleric being a frontliner it's nice to be able to use it. If you think your cleric is going to be spending most of his time in melee stick to the physical stats (a melee oriented cleric is generally considered the most powerful character in the game by the way).

6. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Technically, paladins do need some skillpoints, so in a way they even require INT... So, to summarize:

They need STRength, for combat
    They need DEXterity, average DEX anyway, for their Armour Class, Reflexes, and ranged attack.
    They need CONstitution, for staying power in melee, Fortitude, and Concentration.
    They need INTelligence, to aquire skillpoints, for skills obviously.
    They need WISdom, for willpower and spellcasting. And
    They need CHArisma, for saving throw bonuses and conversation skills (which are poor anyway, since it can't accept rewards).

So there are no dumpstats for min-maxing. No wonder I hate paladins - they're a powergamer's nightmare!:aaa:

7. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

And for evil priests, it would be useful for controlling the undead. Priests of Bane get some bonuses to, I believe, Bluff and Intimidate. Having some Charisma for him would be beneficial, he could be your party speaker, if you take the evil path that is....

8. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

You should be able to turn undead quite well even with only 1 cha since the maximum turnable undead level roll doesn't check for the charisma modifier.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.