1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Chapter one monsters too powerful?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by fyernine, Jan 11, 2003.

1. fyernine Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] I've been reading all these posts about single class or multiclass, and which is better. But I can't seem to find any comment on the problem that's been bugging me at the end of every quest in chapter 1.

I played the prison quest first. No problem. Really enjoyed it. A good story line. A dungeon of just the right length and a monster that didn't go down too easily at the end.

But the rest of them have been impossible. In the docks I had to rest after every fight. Worse came when I cornered the pirate second in command(can't remember his name). Absolutely no chance of defeating him. Switched henchman, took the half orc fighter, still no chance. (i was playing a ranger/mage by the way).

I thought it was because I was at too low a level. So I went on the zombie quest, the one that finishes in the catacombs and the thirteenth level cleric. Wait, thirteenth!!!???. Again I get stuffed.

I don't understand. The inconguity of the difficulty against my characters level seems ridiculous. Surely I'm making some mistake....??

HOw has everyone else defeated these fiends????? Sure, you can whack at them until you're half dead, teleport out, rest and heal, then teleport back - but that's not the way I was bought up to play the game. Seems alot like cheating to me.

I've thought about starting again with a tougher character and playing single class. But somehow, that doesn't seem like the point. I really liked the 3rd edition d and d rules, the way it makes multi-classing more flexible and interesting. I had high hopes for the game.

Suggestions and other peoples experiences would be interesting to read....

2. Mortensen Banned

[​IMG] I had problems too, like everyone else , and that flaming intellect devourer took about 12 times to kill. My advice is keep trying! You'll get them eventually.

(Barbarian / Bard was my character)

3. fyernine Gems: 4/31

Intellect devourer wasn't a problem. Took time but I didn't have to teleport out to defeat him.

Doesn't the difficulty level remain this high in chapters 2, 3, and 4? Or is it just a querk of these quests?

4. Mortensen Banned

[​IMG] I'm only in chapter 2, but none of the monsters have been particularly hard, except the ones that are supposed to be, like main characters ( Desther etc )

5. Observer Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] It probably depends on which order you do the various areas on. I've finished the first chapter about 5 times (never can stick with one character for very long), and I've found that it easiest if you go:

1. Peninsula (Escaped Prisoners Quest)
    2. Beggar's Nest (Zombies and other undead)
    3. Blacklake District (Plague Thugs and then the Sorcerer's Manor)
    4. Docks District (Muggers, Thugs and whatnot)

Its best if you do the docks last whatever your other choices because this maximise's the amount of Smugglers Coins you can collect. On a side note though you may be playing the game at a higher difficulty than recommended.

Oh well, hope that helped. :)

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I don't get it... I played a mage with Daelan as my henchman and it was a walk in the part for most of the game. Daelan alone can deal with practically all monsters in the early part of the game.

As a mage you can also summon a familiar or another creature, and you should even have an animal companion if you're a ranger. Are you sure you're using all you've got here? Going against anything with Daelan and another creature like the panther familiar should be quite easy.

Are you levelling up Daelan in conversation when you go up a level?

And if all else fails, you can still drop the difficulty level in the game options...

[ January 11, 2003, 21:58: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

7. fyernine Gems: 4/31

I don't get it either. Yep, I've been using all the summoned creatures I can, plus Daelan.

I don't know about levelling him up in a conversation though...? I just levelled up and assumed that he would too automatically (the handbook says something like, NPC's level up when the main character levels up. I didn't find a mention of having to click a button for it). He never talked to me about it. I never tried to talk to him about it or to look into his character settings.

Maybe that's the problem.

Then again, maybe one of my work colleagues has switched the difficulty setting while I'm out. I'll just check that. And if they have, won't I look stupid.

I actually didn't have too big a prolem with the monsters in the dungeons. Just the final ones. And with those I had absolutely no chance.

Thanks for the feedback anyway

8. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] The final ones, and the 'mini-bosses' throughout the game are meant to be a challenge though. I didn't have too much of a problem in Chapter one except right at the start. I decided to solo the zoo because I didn't go into the trade of blades and hence didn't know that the other henchmen available for hire were there. :doh:
    Still about the only problems I think you'll have through the game (ie: tough fights) are bosses/mini bosses, and large groups of enemies who wear you down.

9. fyernine Gems: 4/31

Hmmm.

Daelan has 56HP so I guess that makes him fourth level for my fifth.

Difficulty set to normal.

Just went back and tried to take on Loxar again. . and still it's a wipe out. Daelan manages to make a few swipes before getting nobbled. My character shoots off a couple of spells. Loxar's injured but only needs one swipe with the two headed axe and my character's dog meat. (and yes, I was using a familiar, summoned creature etc).

I must be doing something wrong.

10. Observer Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Yeah, I had big problems with Loxar too. I saved him and those swords in Hauleth Never's Tomb as the last thing I did in Chapter One (I was eighth level by that stage). With that kinda battle you gotta pull any trick you can, potions, wands, advanced spell scrolls? Potion of Speed is good (extra spell per round for wizards, extra attack per round everybody else), Barkskin not bad either. Don't hesitate to give Daelan some potions either.

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well, stock up on healing potions then... You should have enough money if you explore areas thoroughly. You can also give healing potions to your henchman in the middle of the battle (drag it from your inventory to his/her portrait).

12. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I just restarted the game after I got my new computer and lost my save-games.
    I'm playing a cleric (as allways) and in this game they seem really powerfull! I have to admit I sleep quite a lot to memorize my spells so I can boost my char. I'm in the frst chapter (Ftr2/Clr3) and don't have a henchman yet.
    There are more then enough healing potions and healing kits to be found and the undeads in the beggars nest are too easy with sun-domain.
    Until now I didn't have any problems, only thing is that I want to rest a litle less. (and I carry too much stuff around so I can't run every now and then.)

Is the cleric really that powerful or do you think I should get a henchman soon?

13. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I think probably a fighter/cleric or fighter/druid should be able to do most fights as long as you play your cards right(Barbarian/Druids are the best however). However, that rogue henchman might be a good idea as long as you keep him out of the fights.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.