1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Chapter 2 - Battlesquares level reached

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by kingsgambit, Sep 10, 2002.

1. kingsgambit Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I haven't posted @ sorcerers.net for a while, but with the release of IWDII, I've drifted back. Hope all are well and enjoying the game as I am. It may not be BGII, but then nothing else is. Still it's a great game, and I love the 3rd Ed. Rules implemented into the infinity engine.
    Anyway, just wondered, did anyone else try to get through that battlesquares challenge in the ice palace in Chapter 2? I managed as far as level 5, and had to use improved invisibility for levels 4 & 5 for the most part.
    Has anyone done level 10? How if I may ask? And what items did you get?

2. Amarande Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Well, I haven't got past level 4 yet personally, so I don't know what level 10 (or total mastery) offers you, but I can tell you a few things:

* It doesn't seem that hard. At least, I haven't had to use Improved Invisibility yet. The only things I really have trouble with so far are the Greater Werewolf, the Red Abishai, and the Glabrezu. The first seems to be basically luck, since both my dwarf fighter and it hit most of the time, and hit HARD, so it's basically a matter of who's lucky enough to still be standing at the end. As for the Red Abishai and the Glabrezu, my main issue seems to be that I just can't seem to do enough damage to these things. I have a +1 keen greataxe which normally does 15-26 damage, or 45-78 on a crit, but the blasted things keep taking 10 damage off the top of all my hits, so even though they don't kill me often, I just can't take enough HP away from them to beat them in the allotted time limit.

* There is no time limit when you are not in a battle (i.e., when you are being asked to select your next square). Therefore, a nice way to heal is to don a regenerative item and wait between battles.

* I wish I knew what rewards are due on the later levels, though ...

3. Ryb'a Gems: 1/31

Hi
    I split my party before start, i left my healers outside the game room, even during fight i go to them and they heal me, but dont try attack monsters with any other unit !!! golem wiil lock them

4. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    *** Battle Square Mastery Attained *** SPOILER

I've done all ten levels, first all describe how I did it, then I'll describe briefly the rewards.

The first five to six levels, a juiced up Monk (protection from evil, barkskin, Champion's skin) is just what you need to stun and waste the monsters with a minimum of healing potions expended.

The reward for finishing the sixth rank is a Club of Disruption +3. This is absolutely essential for the remaining ranks.

Now instead of the monk, I rely upon the juiced up Paladin with the Club of Disruption, and of course the Quick-Load feature, to try and quickly kill the demons and elementals in ranks 7 to 10.

Completing the Battle Square challenge is well worth the pain, suffering, and constant reloading. Not all of the rewards are anything to write home about. I'll describe the more notable ones. A Throwing Axe that is +5 for purposes of what it can damage and also inflicts electrical damage. Boots of Grounding. A Spear of Ice +4 that can also cast Ice Lance once a day.

Drumroll ... The perk for completing the challenge, a Short Sword of Brilliance +5 that bypasses a target's Armor and Shield bonuses. Truly a great item for a Rogue, any multi-classing character, use of the Expertise Feat, and dual-wielding characters like Rangers.

5. HeartOfDarkness Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I finished the battlethingy today though I returned from ahead to do that. My half-orc fighter barbarian (who did this whole thing) was 13th level, I used the tips beren said and they worked great. Also apart from casting spells between combat you can also summon monsters and they don't disappear (I tried it four times and it only disappeared once) and they work pretty good as cannon fodders. Also spells like haste and stoneskin helped a lot but the mace of disruption did most of the job

6. gundbear Gems: 1/31

I have discovered an easy way to win this challenge. I have placed my extra characters in the far end of the hallway just out of sight from the ice golem that guards the door. I lure the enemy outside and down the hallway where my whole team hammers them. I have my paladin in the arena and all other members hitting with bows. Makes short work out of any enemy that will follow. If you get a giant just go to the doorway and stand out of reach from the giant. Using my greataxe i can hit the large creatures but they can not hit me- only problem is for those remorraz. So far no problem. Hope this helps

7. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] I'm working on these right now and all I have to say is "whew".

Ok, I was wondering. Can you come back to the ice temple? At what part of the game does it become impossible to go back to the ice temple? Because it would be great if I could save some of these ranks for when I am more experienced.

8. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] You can come back from as far as the end of Chapter 4. However, just like you can't go to Targos from the Ice Wall, you will not be able to go to the Ice Temple once you arrive to Kuldahar (Chapter 5).

9. {LDU}stealth Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I have a problem with the battle square...

I am just up to it now and acoording to everyone you only need to get three in a row to win the battle square at rank one yet when I do that I only get Oria's key, an perl and a little gold.

I think I should get more and according to Modjahed's solution (apparently a reflex save belt).

Thanks
    {LDU}stealth

10. Grey Ghost Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Stealth, you have to win fights where you complete 3 squares (rank 1), 4 squares (rank 2), 5 squares (rank 3), 6 squares (rank 4), and finally 7 squares (rank 5). You have to complete all five ranks in order to master each level and get the prize mentioned in the walkthrough. So, basically at 10 levels (the 10 levers) and 5 fights per lever, there are 50 fights in the BattleSquares game.

You only have to win one round to get the key, but after that each fight will give you gold, items, gems, or xp. When you master each level (or lever) you get an item.

There are other posts that detail how to win each rank (remember as soon as you get 3 squares in a row the fight is over, so plan accordingly) and what items you get from each level you master so search them out and then go an win levels 6 and 10... After that it is all up to you.

11. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Do you have to complete each level successively, ie. 1,2,3,4, etc...? Or can you do them in any order you want?

12. Grey Ghost Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

You can do them in any order. This goes for the level (1-10) and the ranks within each level (1-5). If you are not doing them in successive order I would suggest that you take a piece of paper and note which ranks you have completed for each level, as it can get confusing and you do not get gold, xp, items, etc... for beating a rank or level a second time....

I would suggest, if your characters are powerful enough, that you beat level 1 or 2 to get a feel for BSquares then beat level 6 to get the Club of Disruption +3. With the club, beat level 10 to get the short sword of Brilliance +5. With those 2 weapons you should be able to take out anything the game throws at you in BSquares.

13. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] Another HoF SPOILER

The items you get for beating the Battle Square do not get better in HoF ....

So no use to do the damned 250 battles all over again to get the second +5 Short Sword if you have one already...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.