1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Changing from 2e to 3e

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Compulsive Dementia, Apr 27, 2003.

1. Compulsive Dementia Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

For my birthday a few years back, I got like the complete set of 2e books (from the player's hand book, dungeons master's guide, and monstrous manual to the player's option) and I just realized how almost utterly superior 3e is. So, since I'm gonna switch, I don't know what I'm gonna do with my 2e stuff. Should I sell it, try and trade it, keep it for optional rules, or what? And should I wait to get 3.5 or bye it know? Any suggestions would be appretiated.

2. Bulges Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I would hang on to the 2E stuff unless you are strapped for cash. Some collecotr somewhere will buy it at top dollar in a few years or so.

I would also wait until July to get the revised PHB, DMG and MM. Why? Because everything made afterwards (and even some of the stuff now) will be using the revised rules. If you want the extra added challenge of deciphering between the two, then get them now. But I feel it would be best to wait. But that is just my opinion.

3. Nick The Friendly Goth Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

From what i've heard 3.5 is just Clarifications ...and as the price for 3e will drop like mad when 3.5 comes out I would just get them now but keep all your old stuff.

4. Bulges Gems: 2/31

The price for 3E will not drop as they will not produce them anymore.

I will agree that from what I have heard, the bulk of 3.5 will be clarifications. But there is also to be new rules added or changed. Monster advancement is a good example. Monsters did not follow the same standard races did when it came to getting feats and skill points. Now it will be standardized. This will be especially helpful as a DM so that you will be able to properly guage the power level (CR) of a monster when you add character classes to it.

There will also be more Prestige Classes, some new, some culled from the various class books. I have heard/read , but I can't say for certain, that there will be air and water movement and combat rules revised/added to make the whole thing clearer. Plus all of the errata will be included too.

5. Nick The Friendly Goth Gems: 5/31

"The price for 3E will not drop as they will not produce them anymore."

Ever heard of a place called e-bay? Or amazon?

6. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

On keeping 2E for house rules, I'd go against that. Searching around on the net will produce some good (and a lot of bad) ones. DMG also has a few nifty ones as well. Heck, if you want to keep them as objects of sentimental value, go ahead. But I don't think 2E products will really increase in value. That is, unless Wizards makes something like 4E.7.3.

I'm fairly sure that E-bay or Amazon does not produce Wizards of the Coast products. Trade them, most likely. Produce them, that probably won't happen after July rolls around.

3.5E is certainly not clarfications. That is, unless you consider revamping of a few spells, reworking of various monsters, modifying on how skills/feats are received by creatures, and changing the ranger (and sorcerer, I think), clarifications.

On a side note, has anyone gotten Fiend Folio? If so, has anyone worked out how many skills and feats monsters are supposed to get in 3.5?

[ April 28, 2003, 02:45: Message edited by: C'Jakob ]

7. Nick The Friendly Goth Gems: 5/31

I know that E-bay and Amazon don't prodcue them but that doesn't mean they don't have them... I can still get 1st edition D&D books off E-bay.

Even if 3.5 changes quite a bit I wouldn't buy it since I could get regular 3e for half the price.

8. Bulges Gems: 2/31

Ok smarty, don't get it. It still doesn't change the fact that all material is going to be produced for 3.5 and not 3E.

I don't have the Fiend Folio (yet), but according to Savage Species, monsters get a feat for every three hit die, just as characters do. One at the first, another a third, sixth, and so on. Of course, some monsters get bonus feats such a humans with their free feat, or elves with starting weapon proficiencies.
    Skill points work the same way. A set number based on monster type plus INT mod for each hit die.

9. Nick The Friendly Goth Gems: 5/31

"Ok smarty, don't get it. It still doesn't change the fact that all material is going to be produced for 3.5 and not 3E."

Did I ever say that it would change that?

NO

I just don't see why I should buy 90$ more worth of books right now. And if you don't have 3e, 3.5 may be the way to go, however consider this...

3e PHB 15$
    3e DMG 15$
    3e Monster Manual 15 $

Grand Total 45$

3.5 PHB 30$
    3.5 DMG 30$
    3.5 Monster Manual 30 $

Grand Total

90$

So you have to decide if the extra stuff in 3.5 is really worth 45$...

10. Oaz Gems: 29/31

If you really want to save money, you can always consult the SRD. Drab, perhaps, but it's free and incorporates the errata. Sheesh.

And to tell you the truth, there is no reason why it should be released for free or for a smaller price. Thirty grand or so a year is a nice salary for a guy who works for Wizards (or so says Sean K. Reynolds), and Wizards really needs all the money it can get, otherwise it may very well go out of business, like TSR did until Wizards saved its butt.

11. Nick The Friendly Goth Gems: 5/31

I know that they need money but still you have to be frugal with your money at times. If you have the cash to get 3.5 why not? But if you want to spend less or don't have that much then what’s wrong with plain old 3e? Plus with the money you save you could get something else...

12. Oaz Gems: 29/31

Right then. I think I'll say it again.

The SRD is just a website - opengamingfoundation.org. It's free. If you don't want to spend the money, then don't.

And by being a cheapo ( ;) :p ) and not getting the 3.5E books, you can always get the splatbooks like Fiend Folio or Savage Species. Which happen to be in line with 3.5E. And which also happent to be purchasable on SP (I think).

13. Nick The Friendly Goth Gems: 5/31

Do I detect a bit of sarcasm in that post?

And I’m not being cheap ok? I don't have plentiful amounts of cash to throw around. ;)

14. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  15. Compulsive Dementia Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

*slaps himself on forhead*
    of course!!!!
    I forgot I could buy it on sorcerer's.
    But um, will you have the 3.5 stuff as soon as it comes out?

16. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yes, probably a week or two in advance.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.