1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Changing classes with Shadowkeeper

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Firic, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Firic Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I apologize for starting another Shadowkeeper thread, but I couldn't find an answer in any of the others I searched through.

Anyhow, I've been using SK to change my NPC's classes in order to get the party I want without resorting to multiplayer. So far my main is a dual classed Fighter/Wild Mage, Aerie is an archer, Mazzy a Cleric/Mage, and I'm attempting to make Minsc into a monk.

Everything seems to be going well, except for Minsc. At level 12 his THAC0 is 4. I'm not exactly an expert on this game, but that seems rather high, especially since I adjusted his dex to 18. I took his levels down to 0 and changed his kit before leveling him up in game, is there anything else you need to do for monks, or is his THAC0 totally normal?

On a similar note, I'm loving my fighter/wild mage but I don't seem to be getting the +1 spell per spell level that being a wild mage should get me. It's not a big deal, but is there any way to fix that?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    When you modify Minsc in SK, he has all his stats already set at (I believe) level 6. This means that his hitpoints, saves, and thac0 are all progressed to that of a level 6 ranger. You probably just forgot to bring his thac0 back down to 20 before leveling him up from level 1.

I've done the same thing myself, creating a Paladin Jahiera who's level 8 thac0 was something like -6, which I didn't notice until the DeArnise hold (I just thought she was having a rather pleasant run of good luck). I'd adjusted her HP, but forgotten about thac0 and saves; the result is I'd accidently made a super character, when all I wanted was a favorite NPC with a new class.

So the easiest fix would probably be to just edit him in SK and bring his thac0 down to that of a fighter of the same level (you can download a monk thac0 table to be dead-on accurate, but I think the difference is negligable). You could go as far as taking Minsc back down to 1 and starting over with his leveling if you wanted.

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    From a previous post (modified for you)....

Open Shadowkeeper and open the game you want to adjust.

Note the experience points, you'll need them later.

Do the following:
    Set hp (max and current) to 1.
    Set level to 0 / 0 / 0.
    Set experience to 1.
    Erase all proficiencies.
    Erase all spells (and inate abilities).
    Set class to monk.
    Set all the thieving skills to 0.
    Also set the 'to hit' to 20 (just to be sure -- I don't think you need to though).

Save the file and quit.

Restart SoA and choose the edited game. Minsc will need to level up. Follow the level up as normal and Minsc should a level 1 monk.

Save the game under a new name and quit.

Go back into shadowkeeper and adjust the experience points back to whatever they were (or cheat and give him more). Save and quit.

Go BACK into SoA. You should get another level up indicator. Bingo! You have your Butt Kicking For Goodness Monk at the level appropriate to your experience.

The only thing left is to use SK once again to adjust your hit points to what you feel is appropriate.

I did this not long ago to make Barbarian Minsc and Avenger Jaheira. They work just fine.

DR: The monk uses the cleric's THAC0 table (it should be the fighter's table). At level 12 the monk should have an unmodified THAC0 of 14.

4. Firic Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Thanks for the help. As it turns out I think everything was fine, I was just expecting lower THAC0 for some reason. I tried leveling up in a variety of ways, and they all worked the same, so I guess the game knows what it's doing. I think I was just being greedy :)

5. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

No, the monk uses the warrior table. Believe me, I've got a couple going right now.

THAC0 and saves are taken directly from a table, as are spell slots (but not the spell BOOK or innate spells/slots), so those do not need adjustment beforehand.

6. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hmmm.... the 3da file I was looking at has them using the cleric to hit table -- I agree, unarmed should be using the fighter's table while the cleric table should be used for weapon combat (at least that was the way they were originally written). My monk appeared to be using the cleric table last time I looked.

On the fighter's table, the unmodified THAC0 should be 9 for 12th level. Dex does not modify to hit for melee, only missile attacks. Minsc has a +2 modifier to hit from strength -- that's still only a 7. Not sure where you'd get the other +3 from.

7. Felinoid

Nope. THAC0.2DA shows a fighter progression. Even the clean copy I keep on another computer (without even EoU) shows the same. You must have some funky mod, T2, or else a non-ToB and/or non-patched install.

And I should hope Firic knows where to look in the character record screen for the base THAC0.

8. T2Bruno

Media:
    I'm fully patched and only have the Baldurdash fix pack, along with portions of unfinished business and a couple of components fo ease of use -- perhaps its the 'unnerfed THAC0 tables'.... Might have to remove that one.

9. Felinoid

That would be it. In PnP, the Fighting-Monk used the cleric THAC0 progression table. (He also still had priest spells, though, so I consider the trade-off more than fair. :rolleyes: )

10. Chelsea Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

This is a great idea, I have always fancied making Viconia a Mage or Minsc an Archer.

I was considering making Cernd a Ranger/Cleric to stop him being such a wimpy waste-of-space. However I am worried that it will mess up the Trademeet/Druid. A worry.

11. T2Bruno

Media:
    If you want Cernd powerful, just load up shapeshifter rebalancing. The greater werewolf form of Cernd is absolutely brutal. I even think he could stand toe-to-toe against the slayer.

Jaheira can do the trademeet/druid's grove quest.

Minsc makes a great barbarian.

Viconia is outstanding as a cleric/thief (complete with backstabs -- fitting for her personality).

12. Die_Bad_Guys Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

the shapeshifter rebalancing is imbalanced second only to the druidic sorcerer, but without the horrendous amounts of bugs

13. Chelsea Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Yeah I have read a lot on the web that the shapeshifter mod is OTT.

Have been playing a few days in a party with Viconia as a Cleric/Mage. With her inate MR etc she is just the mistress of Evil Magic. Highly recommended.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.