1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Changeling in Eberron

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Laiwethel, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

A friend of mine has started an Eberron campaign, and I decided to create a CG Changeling Rogue who is more of a con artist than a trap detector or sneak attack character.

I'm planning on multiclassing her to Sorc on her first level up, but I'm trying to figure out how would be the best way to RP this? She's fascinated by magic, but as a changeling she's got more doppelganger heritage in her than she would draconic (sorc).

Any suggestions on the best way to RP or explain this?

2. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Don't take my word for it, as my knowledge of AD+D isn't absolute, but there are more means to being a sorcerer then strickly draconic blood. For instance such as Yuan-Ti Sorcerers, who in Toril (sp?) are decended from the creator race, are very unlikely to carry the blood of dragons because of the history their ancestors and dragons have (however the blood of the creator races seems to provide a conduit for such arcane pratice). The way I've always read the sorcerer to be in that way back in the sorcerer's bloodline there is the blood of SOMETHING powerful, what that something is is up to the RPer to say. Your charater could be the decendant of godspawn or such.

3. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31

Eberron isn't AD+D, its 3.5, iirc, so the ruleset is different.

I guess I could just say that along with her doppelganger heritage she has a small touch of draconic in her blood as well. Would make for an interesting character later on.

I'm hoping that we get to high enough levels to be able to take Prestige Classes :angel: . I'm thinking that a Changeling Rogue/Sorc/Dragon Diciple would be quite the odd build. :evil:

4. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I know almost zero about 3.5 ed... I haven't heard much good said about it aside from bringing the ranger back closer to it's original design and making it easier then 3.0 for a bard to be a jack of all trades so I don't really know if I should look into it.

For good or bad, I take it the roots of a sorcerer has really been nailed down in 3.5.

5. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Sorcerer does not specify that you have dragon blood. It hints that you "may" have been touched along the family lines of such. Also note that you could also take a level of Bard and still become a Dragon disciple (meeh i hate prestige classes!), So ... every bard in the world is a kid of a dragon ? are they taking over the world by changing our perceion of history ? or perhaps all Bard colleges has this weird rite that mixes them with the blood of a song Dragon ?

Or perhaps its just wash.

You could just be a person with a natural bend for magic. There surelly has been enough of them through the years of fantasy books (Elminster for example).

6. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31

*shrug* True enough.

It's going to be an interesting character nonetheless. But I definately don't want to take a Bard level. I much prefer sorcerers.

7. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

The magic in a changeling sorcerer may well be coming from the doppelganger heritage. While Eberron is very dragon heavy, sources of magic can be everywhere.

I see no problem. A changeling sorcerer who concentrates on morphing magic sounds quite nice.

8. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31

I'm not sure if she'll be focusing on morphing magic, seeing as she's a bit of a pyro, but she's definately going to be a fun character.

I'm looking forward to seeing how she develops.

9. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I wonder - could you bring the sorcerer class in from a magical object? Talk with the DM and work out such a thing (probably making sure it can't be seperated from the character) and have the character get ahold of it - and hoorah, no need for sudden changes in your bloodline :)

10. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31

I dunno. It's possible. Then again, the DM may not even care about changeling multi to sorceress. He's not enforcing multiclass penalties so I don't need to worry about that.

He hasn't said anything about wanting a vaild reason why she'd be a sorceress. I'll find out tonight, most likely, as that's when we're playing again.

11. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Little though I understand it, the idea is that on some level you have connection with the fluxes of magic. It might be heritage, it might be something else - or it might simply be chance, a mutation of sorts ;) I am currently playing a sorcerer, and in my back story I have the hints of a ritual the char's mother performed before his birth that left him with an aptitude towards magic, particularly light and darkness magic (don't tell my PnP group that, though - it's just a hint that me and the DM may develop into a prestige class at some point). I got this idea from the bio of a Heroes 4 character, and it sounded nice. So if your friend's character is a changeling, there's no problem for her to be a sorceress. Perhaps illusionary magic may come more easily to her, but it may simply be that her mixed genes have left her susceptible towards magic in general, and her character determines the direction in which her gift (to the extent a sorcerer's powers are a gift - and it can be really fun to roleplay them as a danger as well) would develop. Heck, it may be simply that a high-level spell or a contact with a very powerful magic item (artefact) has permanently made her body more attuned to magic. She's got doppelganger blood, so it's only natural that she should be susceptible to such transformations.

[ February 08, 2006, 14:50: Message edited by: The Shaman ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.