1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Change the Future

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 3' started by IwantmyBaldurs3, Oct 13, 2004.

1. IwantmyBaldurs3 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I've been reading all the posts and thinking about all the different ideas that people have brought to all the Baldur's Gate 3 Forums. It's very difficult to make all of us happy, and the company that finally makes the game will be as loved as hated.

We only "officialy" know that their intention is to make a prequel. Everybody has his owns ideas of what the history would have to be and the only think that we are almost agree is... What the hell are they gona do with a prequel? Every single NPC that we haved come to know, loved or hated in the 2 games of the series... where they will be? How will they fix the feeling of the game just to make us think taht we are indeed playing a Baldur's Gate game?

Think about this, it's a prequel..... when you start the game you must create a new character, and YOU CAN LOAD YOUR SAVED GAME FROM BALDUR'S GATE 2. Yes, load it but you play with the new character. The saved game is the future of Faerum. The game now knows how will be the character and his party of heroes that in the future will defeat Sarebok and Irenicus. The things he will do, with who did he did them... the class he was, etc... Imagine to play a game with a new character in the past trying to change the future that you did when you played Baldur's 1 & 2!

What do youi think?

P.D. Sorry for my English :)

2. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

To be perfectly honest, that has to be the coolest idea I've heard so far about BG3.

Unfortunately, I doubt the company will care much about the Baldur's Gate legacy, as I'm assuming this game is BG3 in name only, much like Fallout 3 is turning out. And if BG3 indeed is going to console, as I suspect it might, that idea won't be feasible.

3. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

This assumes that every player has played the previous BG games and I don't think their marketing people will find the idea too feasible, also what would be the point in trying to change the future? Ideally, at the end of the last BG game, you either ascended to Godhood or retired from adventuring practically God-like.

4. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

None can stand in my way! For I have the almighty power of reloads!

5. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Well, you don't HAVE to load a previous save game, you can play as you would like to if you want.

6. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

The fact remains that there wouldn't be much sense in trying to change the future because, as I said, at the end of the last BG game/expansion you either ascended into Godhood or retired practically God-like. Somebody posted a similar story to this one a few months back. IIRC that person's story said that for some reason, there was going to be a threat to your existence while you were younger (or not even born yet) and that while in Irenicus' dungeon you'd go into a portal into the past to make sure this didn't happen therefore ensuring the future as we/you know it. This is no less complicated than the proposed plot here but imo there's more sense to it.

7. Tiberius Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

kind of like terminator meets BG3

8. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Except that it's John Connor that goes back, I guess that's it in a nutshell :D

9. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

The idea of a prequel RPG is rather stupid. You can end up affecting the main storyline in a way that you shouldn't be able to. The developers will have to prevent the player from directly interacting with the main characters of Baldur's Gate I and II, otherwise there will be inconsistencies. I could take Gorion as an NPC, what if he dies? Game over?

I'll say it again, they should leave the Bhaal saga alone. We don't need to know the history. Make it about Baldur's Gate but don't mention the Bhaal saga at all. WotC don't consider Baldur's Gate I and II to have actually happened in the Forgotten Realms.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.