1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Challenge Ratings and Levels

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Compulsive Dementia, Aug 10, 2003.

1. Compulsive Dementia Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

My player's and I have decided to skip some levels, and begin the game at around level 11 as liches, vampires, half-dragons, etc. The problem that I have though is the level to start them at. I had planned to do it at level 13, so they could have 13 levels of a class as a standard race, or 11 levels of a class and a template like vampire or half dragon, or 9 levels of a race, a template, and a non-standard race like drow. But it looks like the challenge ratings don't "exactly" corospond to character levels, so even though a lich is challenge rating +2 base creature, doesn't mean that it modify's the ECL by two, right? I got this because an ogre is CR 2, but a PC orgre is ECL +5. This is because CR's are based on fighting 4 PC's, right? And how can I figure out what the level adjustment would be for a template? Or should I jsut play it by ear?

2. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

CR has absolutely nothing to do with ECL. Once that's settled, you can find a lot of monster races in Savage Species along full explanation for how and why some are set high and others low.

If you can't get to savage species or dont want to buy another product, there's soldarin's ECL guide which is a bloody excellent guide :)

Beware of vampire pc's, extremely powerful and yet extremely vulnerable.

http://soldarin.tripod.com/rpgpages/id5.html

3. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I believe that the Lich level adjustment is +4, and the half-dragon level adjustment is +3 (should be +5 with wings). Vampire level adjustment, as you might find, is just going to be weird. Dominate Person, Spider Climb, and Gaseous Form at will? Yikes. Not to mention the coffin thing.

But I'm sure Lokken can give you all the necessary info on being a Lich. ;)

4. Compulsive Dementia Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I tried that today....using the 3.5 monster manual tha thas ECL already done (though that guesser was very helpful, and I'm starting to wonder if it is closer than the 3.5), and giving out 20 levels. The party consisted of a level 12 fighter vampire (apparently based of the Soul Reaver console games), a level 5 rogue/10 assassian gargoyle, and a level 16 sorcerer lich. We played one encounter- 8 frost worms. The sorcerer easily dropped them to around seventeen hit points with a maximized fire ball, which allowed the vampire with great cleave to finish them off. But their death throes distroyed the lich and the vampire, and the garoygole survived with evasion. But both of those undead respawn, and hte whole thing was over in two rounds, and it was really stupid and boring. So, time to restart the campain...again...

But would it be better to start every body as standard races level one, or any race/template at level 1, or give out several levels(say, five)?

5. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

the key to fighting high level characters is draining their skills and abilities, something that cannot be done in a single encounter.

If you want them to be powerful, you could start them off as level 6 (giving those willing the possibility of a prestige class in their bio or a particular race or template for others). Level 6 is a good level, if you want it to be a game of some spectacle and yet, able to throw something really powerful at them without them ending in 2 rounds ;)

Starting at level 1-2 can severely cripple any template playing character (and outrule most).

6. Nick The Friendly Goth Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Problem with starting at level 6... No Vampire! :( or Lich...

7. Chevalier Mal Fet Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Well, if you're so set on lich let them start at 6 as a standard race and work towards lich. Could be a continuing quest for the player.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.