1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

CD/DVD drive issue

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by TrueBlueAussie, Oct 11, 2007.

1. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Okay, this is a bit of a pain in the ass and I dont have the faintest of clues as to what may have caused it. Anyways, the problem is that whenever I put a CD or DVD in the drive, the compuer crashes. No error messages or anything, it just dies. It will also only start up again if i take the CD out of the drive. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Wow...never heard that one before. :bad:

So let's start with a few questions:
    • What type crash was it? (i.e. total loss of power, or the blue screen of death)
    • What's the wattage of your PSU...and what are the specs of your computer?
    • Have you checked the power and IDE cables to see if any are loose?
    • Have you ever had any problems of this kind before?
    There are a few things I think might be causing your problem...but I can't really be sure at this point. :rolling:

3. starfox64 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Sounds like a power issue to me.

Another question to help out with an answer; is it always the same CD that causes the issue?

4. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Nah, Ive tried different CDs so its not that. Its not a total loss of power as the PC is still running, but I dont get bluescreened either

There are a few others that I am thinking it could be now though. Im thinking its a graphics card issue as it chucked a spak when I loaded something else but the screen kinda came back after playing around with the monitor output in the back of the PC. Kinda meaning it was frozen when it came back so I had to restart anyways.

It also stalled halfway while booting up before.

Im thinking one of the 3 storms that we have had in the last 3 days has screwed something over royally :bad:

Edit: the graphics card is also fairly old and didnt come with this machine but it has been working well since I put it in about a month ago.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.