1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Casting Glows and other graphical enchantments

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Silverstar, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Tweaks mod allowed for the IWD casting glows to be used in BG2, which were better in aesthetics, IMHO, but they bugged me that they were 'too big' to obscure the character casting the spell completely, and they did not look quite fluid and transparent.

I like this game a lot and I also like seeing nice bright images, so I found SpellPack mod, which added tons of new spell animations and spells to the game. However, it is not very compatible with other mods and I preferred the 'Spell Revisions' mod (excellent mod, BTW, totally a must to have!) I discovered that one does not need to install the SpellPack mod, the casting glow files were only one file per school of magic, and directly copying CGABJURA. and other spell school files from the mod into my override folder did the trick for changing the casting glows into ones used in SpellPack mod. They are same as IWD's, but better edited, smaller and does not obscure the caster, looks better and more translucent and fluid, like: 'Oooh, shiny!'

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here is my BGT party, Imoen casting an alteration spell, Jaheira an evocation, and my character an abjuration. Evocation was heavily edited, its pattern is same as IWD's but color changed to red and made more subtle. More appropriate for explosive spells. Alteration and abjuration are slightly smaller than tweaks, and more translucent fluid, a real treat to watch. You can see Imoen having unarmored hooded thief avatar, that little red thing is her ioun stone swirling on her head. Notice Khalid's flaming sword. All these nice graphics are thanks to 1PP, and item revisions and tweak mods. With SpellPack mod's CG files, you can choose by your taste. I did not put the necromancy file to my override, cos I prefer the original transparent, star in circle necromancy casting glow, for instance. So try each and see which you like and keep it. :)

Today, the modding community is still running strong and with so many tweaks/enchantments you can customize BG to your playing AND aesthetic tastes. We owe this to numerous mod developers. A big thank you to all of them for making this allready brilliant game an immortal masterpiece!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.