1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Cantrips per day

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Master of Nuhn, May 14, 2010.

1. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Bud is a level 20 sorcerer with a whopping charisma of 44. He became a father last year and loves nothing more than spending time with his son and make the little boy laugh. So he casts Open/Close on the jack-in-the-box 2 times and creates some juggling lights and tinkling sounds, using Prestidigitation 3 times. Then Bud realizes he should go to work. He casts Ray of Frost on his sandwiches so they will still be fresh when he's having them for lunch later that day.

Bud comes home after a long day at work. He trapped a soul in a gem, dominated a gold dragon, let time stand still for about half a minute and shot some meteors from out of his hand.
    He could travel to the Ethereal Plane with six friends and do it all over again.

What he can't do, however, is spicen up that bland food his gnome wife has been cooking for him. He has no cantrips left for the day.

Okay, enough nonsense.
    Anybody an idea why you get bonus spells from 1st to 9th level if you have high enough cha/int/wis, but you don't get any more cantrips/orisons to cast that day?

2. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    What does visiting the bathroom have to do with casting spells?

3. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Splunge, as a fifty-year-old, you have to remember you are the only one who needs bathroom breaks when eating or immediately after eating spicy food.:D

Splunge likes this.
  4. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    :lol: Good point... :D

5. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Actually, I'm lying. Mexican makes me wish I could cast a minor Gust of Wind Cantrip myself. So does, Chinese, India, Thai, Red Suace, Broccoli, etc.... hmmm.... I'm seeing a common denominator. But then it probably wouldn't matter as I would only be limited in how many I could cast and trust me, I would need more than 4 or 5 a day!:D

6. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Eh? Is this some language dependent joke that I don't get? Is Spicen Up slang for taking a dump?

Uhh, and here I thought my English was quite okay... :D

7. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    No, but "Can" is slang for "Restroom", so "Cantrips per day" can also mean "Daily number of trips to the can". :D

Blades of Vanatar likes this.
  8. Blades of Vanatar

Spicey food usually runs right thru the older crowd. Which, as Splunge has just turned 50, will allow the rest of us to dust off our elderly jokes.:D

9. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I just had a thought. Because of their general low power and impact, how unbalancing would it be to change the number of cantrips per day to number per hour? Obviously the regular spells would still be per day, but since you don't get bonus cantrips the way you do for spells, why not make it spells per hour?

That can also make spellcasters more fun, since they can be a bit more liberal with their magic. They can cast minor cantrips all the time instead of hording them, but have more limited number of "real" spells.

10. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

The nice thing about D&D is that it's such a house rules sort of game. It would make sense to me to have cantrips become infinite casting for a later on wizard bonus feat or something.

11. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Just looking at the other core feats available, I would argue that infinite cantrips wouldn't even be worth a feat. I'd probably just grant an extra cantrip per level, and I wouldn't require that they be prepared in advance, either. Even at level one, this wouldn't damage game balance.

12. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Play Pathfinder. Cantrips are at-will abilities there :D .

Last edited: May 10, 2011
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.