1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Can't figure out how to take screenshots (HP/Vista)

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by pokeyloki, Oct 1, 2008.

1. pokeyloki Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Caradhras sent me here. I've got a feeling the solution is going to result in me knowing way more about Windows Vista than I really wanted to, but it's the same when I have to fix my car too.

I'm on an HP Pavillion dv6700 laptop, with Vista. I want to take a screenshot and cant figure it out.
    "prt sc" is on the lower half of the second farthest right button on the top row (below "insert'). I try pressing it alone, with shift,alt,fn, but nothing apparent happens. Thinking perhaps it did take a screenshot without any indication, I searched everywhere I could think of without finding anything that could be it (though I found lots of other stuff I didn't know I had). I don't even know if a screenshot file would be a .bmp extension.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    pokeyloki

2. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    IIRC, that only saves the image to the clipboard, you still have to paste it in a program like M$ Paint. :rolling:

3. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Kitrax is right. Open MS Paint or another picture editor and press CTRL+V to paste the screenshot.

By the way, the Prt Sc key copies the entire screen to the clipboard. If you only want the active window/dialog box, press ALT+Prt Sc.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  4. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Some (vital) information that is missing: pokeyloki was trying to take screenshots in BG1 (link).

I already suggested looking for compatibility files btw.

Hope that helps.

5. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Ah - I only know how to do in BG2 and Planescape: Torment.

I have taken screenshots in PS:T in the same way: press Prt Sc, then press Alt+Tab to go to the desktop, and then open MS Paint to paste the screenshot. This is necessary if for example I want a screenshot in dialog mode. It might work in BG1 as well.

6. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Ctrl+Print Screen takes a screen shot. Print Screen if you are connected to a printer will print a page of the screen.

7. Caradhras

Media:
    I used Print Screen a lot to take screenshots when playing BG2 (even with Vista). I don't remember how it works with BG1 though.

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  9. Caradhras

Media:
    Well Tal, I already posted the link in the other thread. Still I had a look at it and it seems BG1 and BG2 should be similar in that respect.

As far as submitting screenshots it says: "1. The games you can send us screenshots from are all of the games we cover on SP." So I have an off topic question, does Fallout qualify?

10. pokeyloki Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Tried ctrl+prt sc, then paste into paint. Nothing. searched for "clipboard", no item found, as in I dont have clipboard?

Thanks to everyone for your ideas, just no luck...yet

- - - - - - -

Found it! in virtual store. I knew when I figured it ou, I'd be slapping my forehead. Now I get to figure out how to upload it. The fun never stops!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  11. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Try here :). It's easy, just press the browse button, select the image, type in your email and click host it!

12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Caradhras, it's the same in all Infinity Engine games. Print Screen takes a bmp screenshot into the install directory. Only with Torment, that doesn't work in dialogue mode for some reason, so if you want to capture dialogues, you need an external program as described on that page. But it works for everything in all the other IE games.

We don't really cover Fallout much (no separate site section for it), but you can send it in anyway and I'll decide what to do with it.

13. Caradhras

Media:
    Ok. Thanks for the precisions, I'll see if I can think of something that would make a good screenshot.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.