1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Cane and Able: #7 Try to look normal, Dear.

Discussion in 'BoM Blogs' started by 8people, Nov 14, 2010.

1. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm trying to track down an article I was made aware of recently, all I know is that it was published in the North of England and was on the subject that if disabled people wanted to fit into society then they should try and look like normal people.

Over several decades there have been localised laws (I am most aware of ones made in America, but there have been similar ones in england and european countries) where people with visible disfigurements were banned from being on the streets, usually between certain hours and forbidden from displaying their deformity in public. Very 'out of sight, out of mind'

Now I can't address the article directly - but HOW is hiding going to help disabled people? What about when we need help that a person who has normal ability would not need? Do we shut up about it? Struggle and possible injure ourselves or simply live as hermits for the rest of our shortened lives? Does this also exclude alternative culture? Should someone who is made disabled be made to give up their subcultural identity for the sake of adopting a mode of dress or appearance more in line with the societal norm?

Maybe I'm just seeing this from a completely different angle. I've been on crutches since I was seven and worn collars, cuffs and alternative jewellery and clothing since I was able to get my own clothes and get out in public properly. Something my grandma has always found fascinating, she loves the contacts I wear and even compliments my jewellery. So do people with EDS I've met in person and online. I go out in public with corsets and collars and I get compliments, I get people approach me asking what hair colour I use just as often as I get people asking me about my problems or the bumper sticker on my wheelchair. I get people - disabled and non - who say they wish they had the confidence to wear what I wear and to be open about what I like.

Why is this a bad thing? I am not a confident person, what I am is fairly brisk and someone who doesn't leave the house often - so when I do I will wear something I'm perfectly happy with. Something that makes me feel good before thinking if it's something the average susan would wear. I spent years 'fitting in' which did absolutely nothing for me. By doing what makes me happy I have found more acceptance and confidence than being a model of normality ever could.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.