1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Can You Go Back?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Mathetais, Apr 25, 2003.

1. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Okay, I've never played more than 5 hours of Baldur's Gate, and then moved on to other games. My question is, after 3E Rules in IWD2 or NWN, is this still going to be fun?

2. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

i dont know, but i have real problems getting into BG2 after BG and IWD. I've never even got to the planar sphere, but started two or three times.

3. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

That will rather depend upon your tastes. Personally, I have no problem with playing older games even if they use previous rule sets and have dated graphics. To me the rules are just part of the framework that supports the gameplay. If the game's story is good and/or the gameplay is fun then I don't care if it is 3E, 2E or some set of rules made specifically for that game.

I would have no problem playing Bard's Tale (from the 80s I believe) again if I could actually find my disks. Actually that wouldn't do me any good as I don't have a 5.25" floppy drive anymore. :lol:

4. Gaius Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

The hardest thing about going back to BG after IWD2 is the interface and rather severe race and class combination restrictions.
    The interface not being customisable as in IWD2 is highly aggrivating, particularly if you want a Mage/Thief or Cleric/Thief character since only one weapon slot is open (meaning you have to access inventory to switch weapons, and in BG the game unpauses when you access inventory in combat).
    The multi-class combinations are horribly limited and for one seasoned in D&D, the basics put a damper on things. Also, the race/class restrictions are even more glaringly stupid than before, now that we can play whatever we want in IWD2 and NWN.
    That said, I did recently start a new game of BG and I'm really enjoying it. It does take a while to get used to some things, but once the game gets going the initial disappointments disappear.

5. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Concidering I haven't got used to the 3e edition rules it's not so hard for me. So the question for me is, can I play IWD2 after BG1 and BG2. I manage but just barely.

After all these years I actually find Thac0 to be great :rolleyes:

6. Dorion Blackstar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Indeed you can.I am just getting ready to finish Baldurs Gate for the first time.I had already played Shadows of Amn several times and Throne of Bhaal twice.

IMHO Baldurs Gate was the best of the series.I highly recommend playing it.

7. Keihdra Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I like BG1+2 better than I NWN and IWD2. I still find new things each time through the Baldur's Gate games. I love the NPC's, they make the stories worth any of the rule changes of 3rd edition.

8. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

I've just gone back to BG1 from SoA. Best thing that has happened to me in a long time :D

9. dshadow Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

3E rules might be better than 2E but there's more to games like BG 1 & 2 than the rules so yes, you could go back to it no problems.

Oh, and you can find the disks for Bard's Tale here.

10. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

BGs have complicated story and world.

IWD2: Just kill everything and move to next area. Don't think about the plot if you want to enjoy it at least a bit.

11. Kenixkil Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

I've moved back to original BG.
    In TotSC, many classes were edited to have at least 2 QW Slots(noteably, wizard and cleric/mage)
    The only thing that's aggravating is the fact that it's so slow....(BG2's walking speed is 1.5x faster than BG)
    Any ideas?(I'm seriously considering getting boots of speed through the console, so someone give me advice before I commit that unthinkable act!)

12. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Baldur's gate was great game, and some day I'll start playing it again, maybe with DotSC mod. Baldur's Gate 1 is definitely worth playing. After plating a while, you won't even notice bad resolution anymore. ;)

ywpark89, raise frame rate around 45 in config program. It really helps.

[ April 29, 2003, 15:53: Message edited by: Harkle ]

13. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

I'm gonna do it! With my new commute and new (soon to arrive) lap-top battery, I have an hour and 20 minutes each way to work on the train. That's more gaming time than I've had in a long, long time.

So this morning I created a character and am on my way out of Candledeep.

Wish me luck. I sure hope my dad doesn't die, he seems cool! (just kidding)

14. Gaius Gems: 4/31

Good luck!
    It may take a bit to really get into the game, but once you do it's really great fun. There are a couple of areas early on that I find hideously tedious, so if you get bogged down, don't despair, it gets better.
    What character did you make, by the way?

15. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

I made a paladin, but am planning on DC-ing him to cleric at level 4 or so. (Thanks to 3E rules, I'm addicted to clerics who use swords, axes and such ;) )

You're right about getting bogged down. I recently ran into a pack of wolves, and after reloading twenty times, descided to go around them. How humiliating! :wail:

16. Kenixkil Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Thanks, Harkle. Now it's much more bearable.
    Another question : how come all the NPCs have higher levels than me? I'm a 1/1 cleric/mage, while they are all in their level 2s. Not fair!
    Also, Imoen seems to use her potions when I didn't even click on the potion. I don't remember anything like that.
    Also, I heard something about a 'gem replication trick' somewhere. They said that you 'use' a gem twice to bring it's quanity up to max(65565?). How do you do that?

17. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Mat - I don't believe you can DC a Paladin to anything in BG, and even if you could I think Cleric dual classes are still restricted to Cleric weapons.

18. Gaius Gems: 4/31

No dual-classing Paladins (and Clerics are limited to blunt weapons).

19. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

See! I am spoiled by IWD2 & NWN :(

So what do I do? Keep my paladin and wait for the Holy Avenger in BG2, go Fighter/Cleric, or be a Ranger...descisions, descisions. Any suggestions?

20. Gaius Gems: 4/31

Out of those three options, I'd go with either the Fighter/Cleric or Ranger. Rangers are absolutely lethal in BG1, and the kits in BG2 are appealing. The Fighter/Cleric (and Ranger/Cleric for that matter) are widely recognized to be a very powerful multiclass combination, and either is a nice fit for BG1 given your choices of NPCs.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.