1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Can you complete the game as a Paladin?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Evil Dad, Jun 27, 2004.

1. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

The reason for asking this, is because you need the thieves help to use their tunnels at the end of the game.

Now, when you get to Baldur's Gate, they require your help to get some items. If you refuse (which you should do as a Paladin), you risk having a huge fight and kill all the thieves.

I suppose my question is, if you kill all the thieves will you still be able to gain access to the tunnels? I don't want to kill them all and then find I can't complete the game.

2. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Yes you can still get into the tunnels.

I've never played the game as a Paladin but once when I went on a killing spree and massacred all the thieves, the tunnels were still open to me.

3. Ancient Galatan Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I always helped them, and i always am a paladin.
    But i don't think it does matter if you are a Paladin when helping them, never got into trouble with the law-enforcements.

4. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31

You can get away with that sort of stuff in BG, but from a role-playing perspective you wouldn't help the thieves if you were a Paladin.

5. Drizzt the Drow Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Yes you can. I killed all the thieves and I can still access the tunnels.

6. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    Yes you can cos I was a paladin when I first completed the game! :D

7. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31

That's good to hear. That means I can happily kill off all the thieves guild as this is the only moral choice for the Paladin.

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    You have a strange set of morals. Yes, a paladin would never willingly HELP thieves, but I don't think he'd walk into a thieves guild and start a blood bath either. I think he would look for law beyond the tip of his sword as a solution.

9. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31

I'm thinking more along the lines of ... I walk into the thieves guild as they've asked to see me and I forget the password so they start attacking me. It is then my duty to defend myself and lay rest to these infidels.

10. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Paladins are Lawful Good and not Lawful Evil :rolleyes:

11. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31

Yes, but if they are not following the righteous path and start attacking you, it is your right to defend yourself. If they happen to die in the process, surely this is still a just act. As long as you didn't actually start the fight.

12. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

IMHO, visiting the Thieves Guild being a paladin is like that scene in Die Hard with a Vengeance, when Willis goes to Harlem with that "I hate N....." plaque. It's just asking for trouble.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.