1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Can somebody suggest a BG2 SoA in-game store guide?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by SlickRCBD, Mar 13, 2009.

1. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Dan Simpson's FAQ for Baldur's Gate ONE includes a section that lists all the stores, where they are, and what is sold at each one and the relative prices at each store.

He didn't do so for his BG2 FAQ. Has anybody else somewhere compiled this information into a convenient F.A.Q.? Especially one that mentions all the merchants that only show up at certain times of the day?

Please tell me where I can find this info.

2. starfox64 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

I don't know where to find this info at sorcerers.net but Mike's RPG Center's Baldur's Gate II page has an extensive list of items and where you can find/purchase them.

3. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    [​IMG]
    That doesn't list store-by-store. I don't mind if you make an off-site link. If such a thing doesn't exist, perhaps on my next play through I'll try to make one. I'm planning on getting around to installing one of the Naila romance mods, but hopefully that won't make a significant change to the shopping. I did install the mod that puts ammo belts and potion cases in the regular game, so I'll just omit them from the lists.

4. Acrux Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Rather than going through store by store in-game, it might be easier to look at the .sto files in Infinity Engine or somesuch.

5. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    [​IMG]
    The problem is figuring out where in-game the stores those .sto files are and WHEN you can go to them. A lot of them are just "Merchant" which doesn't help much.

6. starfox64 Gems: 12/31

Veteran

All the merchants that appear during the day/night all sell the same basic things anyway.

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I expect Simpson didn't make a separate guide because he's covered all that in his massive BG2 walkthrough... I don't think anyone's made a guide that would focus solely on the stores though. You could basically make one just by going over Simpson's solution and extracting all the store and item info. Still, that only goes for the more worthy items, he doesn't list all the mundane ones that you can buy at every store.

8. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I think you are confusing his BG1 guide with the BG2 guide. The BG1 guide has such a section, but it is lacking in the bg2 guide. He mentions a few stores, but not all of them.

I even downloaded a fresh copy from SP to verify that my version wasn't simply out of date. I'm just looking for a reference of where all the stores are and when I can goto them. Mostly because my thief is out of invisibility potions and I've cleaned out most of the shops except for Trademeet, which is the last quest I have before going to rescue Imoen. I'll have to restock as the rings tend to take too long to cast.

If there's a F.A.Q. that includes a section on shops the way Simpson's BG1 guide did, I'd appreciate somebody pointing me in right direction. Even if the info isn't all in the same place but is organized by area, I could use cut & paste to compile my own guide.

Oh, that, and I'd like to steal all the enchanted missile weapons I can before heading off to rescue Imoen. While I've got all the +1 bullets I could ever want thanks to Maheer and all the fire arrows I could want thanks to Captain Arat, things with other enchantments are in limited supply. Especially magic darts. While I could actually BUY them from the Adventurer's Mart, it goes against my thief's principals to never buy what he could steal.

That, and I'm kinda roll playing a kleptomaniac whose ripping off the catch-line from Pokemon. I did CLUA in a (bottomless) bag of holding early because it made it more fun. Gotta steal 'em all...

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Simpson lists pretty much all of the items worth noting (and where to get them) as he goes along with the solution. Unless you mean you want a guide only for stores that ignores all the items outside of stores. But such a guide would really have few practical uses, expect in cases such as you list. Given the huge number of stores and available items in BG2, putting together such a guide would be quite an undertaking...

10. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I know. It's just that such a guide is common in F.A.Q.s for various games. There's one for BG1, and most of the Final Fantasy games 1-8. It is usually part of a larger F.A.Q.

I was hoping that somebody had included in their F.A.Q. something like that, or even something that might be like
    Docks
    Treasures to be had
    list stuff like Short Sword of Backstabbing,
    Quests
    list quests like Renal Bloodscalp's thief stronghold quest.
    Stores
    Thief guild hall, Grooch in Mae'Var's storefront, that guy near the temple of Oghma that sells you the locket for Jaheria, the temple, and the guy near the Harper hold.
    Possibly include the two taverns as well.

Sorry, if the above is a bit sloppy, It's 5am and I can't sleep.

11. hannibal555 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Media:
    there are only a handful of worthwile shops, imho:

a) Ribald's at waukeens promenade (+ the bonus merchant there),
    b) that guy in the docks district tavern (and the bonus merchant there) and
    c) the shopkeeper in trademeet that sells you the blackblood clup among other good equipment after you clear the main quest there.

These are the early accessible shops to get good equipment from.
    From then on the best equipment is to be found anyway.

edit:
    If a complete and quick overview of all available items is important to you and where to get them,
    I found the BG2 item-section of gamebanshee.com to be pretty good.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  12. starfox64 Gems: 12/31

Veteran

Perhaps a change of tactics is needed instead of a list of stores.

13. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    [​IMG]
    Well, in all honesty I'm a bit rusty at using the rings of invisibility instead of potions. I keep getting disrupted when I try to disappear, forcing me to quaff a potion. I'd probably have around a dozen more potions if I didn't keep getting interrupted when I try to use the two rings of invisibility and the ring of air control.

I haven't given my thief any points in stealth. Instead, I'm using The Night's Gift, Mercykiller ring, and boots of stealth to compensate. Just as I'm using the ring of danger sense to have a lower find trap rating (when needed) and the gloves of pick pocketing to boost my normal pick pocket rating over 100% without spending extra points.

Do you think I should spend some points on stealth on next level up and replace the boots of stealth with the boots of speed? I am NOT soloing, and the boots are being used by other party members.

14. starfox64 Gems: 12/31

Veteran

Well, with the boots of speed, you could run away from the enemies faster, get some distance on them and then use the rings of invisibility. You wouldn't get disrupted so much.

15. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31

Veteran

Mike's RPG Center's links down

I'm upping this thread just to mention that Mike's RPG Center's BG2 (and other games) guide are dead links, and just as I was about to give the game another shot :(

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  16. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Everything you could find on Mike's can be found elsewhere.

17. Taluntain

Media:
    I expect he'll bounce back eventually... he's been pretty determined not to let go of his site the last time I checked. Anyway, what are you looking for that you can't find here on SP?

18. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31

Veteran

well you know, it could be anything, but more specifically the interesting items to collect with their icons, descriptions and location, this sort of stuff, I often used to quit the game and check his site very quickly before the links were broken

some of the closest guides I can think of is at Gamebanshee, but it's somewhat less intuitive and exhaustive

Last edited: May 3, 2010
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.