1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Calling All Computer Nerds

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Gonzago, May 28, 2002.

1. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

So: All the games I play, I play at work. E-mail, at work. Internet, at work. (I'm a writer, so home is where the 'real' work gets done...I've eliminated all games, including minesweeper and free cell and solitaire, from my home pc)

My problem is this. The pc on which I play, although loaded to the teeth with goodies, can't run any new games. Why? Windows NT. The problem, I think, is DirectX. (Or rather, the problem is NT.) So although I can play BG2, I cannot play pretty much anything that requires any more sophisticated graphics. So no Arcanum, NWN, Medal of Honor (that game is unassailably cool), etc.

Is there any way around this without pestering my administrator to hood us up to Windows 2000? He's already sick of me.

2. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

NT is the most powerful version of win if you ask me - 2K is a version for those who must drool over something but can't find a proper thing to use.

The problem with NT is Microsoft's lame policy on not implementing DirectX greater than version 5.0. That's why your games won't work.

Don't pester the admin. He definetly has a good reasons on not to switch to win2K. Or even greater blasphemy - winXP. Besides, all Infinity Engine games work on NT, what do you want more? ;)

3. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Extremist is right, your administrator probably won't change the OS. My advise: become really good friends with him/her, then try to convince him/her to swich to Win2K Advanced Server. (thats what I have running at the two companies I'm a adim. for)
    Humor: On the Win2k Start Up screen it says:'Built on NT Technology' the funny thing is that 'NT' stands for "New Technology" so in essence it says: Built on New Technology Technology...Anyways, everyone in my old Networking class thought it was funny. :rolling:

4. the god Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] new scientist readers (like me) will be able to inform you that such phrases are known as 'Redundant Acronym Syndrome'.

5. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

Oh yeah, RAS syndrome...

6. Bateluer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Having worked with WinNT, win2k, and WinXP, I must say that win2k is the best. NT is a b*tch to administer, mainly because it lacks Active Directory, among other things.

Your administrator will be forced to upgrade to 2k eventually, MS cuts off support to older products.

XP just plain sucks tho, pretty fisher price GUI, memory hog.

Regardless, the infinity engine games run fine on NT, so you are okay for now.

Next question: Playing games at work? Where do you work, and does your boss know? :p

7. TheBlackRose Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Just play BG2. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.