1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Buying a new power supply

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Ofelix, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Ok, so I was thinking my bloody sound problem link comes from the power supply since the thing is 5 years old, and when I unpluged one of the cards in a PCI slot, the sound was tuned down a little bit (but still annoying). So my question is; how the hell can I determine the Voltage and Amperage I need without frying the bloody computer but without having the sound problem?

2. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    There are calculators on the net but for an average gaming pc whit a medium GPU and a one or two pci slots used a 380/450 is enough in most cases. Whit high end GPU you go to 500 whit crossfire or sli to 600 or higher. Always go for one whit a 80 plus label. Some of the next gen ones even have 80plus bronze, silver or gold labels.

I do not get the voltages and amperes question. A Powers supply unit gives out several different currents beside the 12 volt. Cheaper ones have more power on the less used voltages making them less powerfull at the vital 12 volt lines but cheaper to make. That or a fault might be the reason of the sound it makes.

Top brands: Seasonic, Zalman, Antec, Coolermaster, Be quit, Tagan.

3. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Corsairs are good too, and OCZ aren't bad, either. If you're buying only the PSU, I recommend skipping a round of beer or a cinema trip and putting that money in getting a one notch higher wattage PSU or a better brand of the same wattage. But I wouldn't be quick to blame stuff on the PSU unless it's really low power for your PC.

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I agree, use one of the web calculators.

As for brands, I am sympathetic towards OCZ. Generally, take care your power supply is of the plug-in type. Iirc OCZ's PSUs do have that. The idea is that it allows you to plug in the cables as needed. Make sure it that has enough connectors for all the devices you want to run (graphics cards in particular). This type of PSU is also easier to mount in your case, and you won't have the traditional 'cable salad'.

I am happy with my PSU, a Thermaltake Toughpower 700W. It does not have this feature, but it is quiet (140mm fan) and efficient (iirc 85%). The reason I wrote the above is that I bought it with the thought in mind to, at some later time, run two ATI 4870s in it. Well, I don't have enough power connectors for that, so this ain't gonna happen with this PSU. Well, worse things have happened.

5. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Another thing to consider are the voltage rails. A 500W PSU divides that 500W between several different rails....so if you have *everything* connected to a single rail, you're going to overload that rail while the others are wasted. This severely reduces the lifespan of a PSU. Always remember to give each power hungry component (like a high end GPU) its own rail (i.e. don't plug in 2 Molex to 6-pin PCIe connectors on the same rail). :thumb:

Also, PSUs get hot and need to breathe...if the internal heatsinks, coils, caps, etc. are chocked with dust, the fan inside isn't going to help much, so take a bottle of "caned air" to it regularly.

6. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Even a vacuum cleaner goes a long way. :lol:

BTW, thanks for the tip about the rails. Didn't think of that. Most of the new PSU's have a 6-pin rail right there without needing a converter, but this isn't true about the old ones. I may have one such in the house.

7. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

As far as brands go - FSP Group, Nexus, Antec. Get 80plus.

500w/450w should suffice - list your components and we have plenty more of knowledge. Or use one of them web-based calculators.

8. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

If you live state side and their is an Office Max in your area you can pick up a 500W Antec Basiq for around $50; this is a good buy because it typically sells for $65 online.

9. Kitrax

Media:
    Wow...Office Max had a deal? Never thought I'd see thet day. Felix lives in Canada though, so that's not much help to him...

10. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Yeah I was surprised too. He may want to review newegg or tigerdirect. Hopefully one of them can ship locally to him.

11. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    I'll pretend to know what a " rail " is or " Molex 6-pin". Seriously, what?

12. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    A "rail" is a particular power output from the power supply. Each "rail" will output a certain voltage and will be capable of sourcing some maximum current. Typical higher-powered supplies break up the same-voltage sources (e.g. the 12 volt sources) into several separate outputs each supplying some maximum current. So what you don't want to do is hook up all your high-power devices to the same power output and leave the other outputs underutilized.

The power supply manual should indicate what connectors are supplied by which "rails".

Molex is just a type of connector.

13. Kitrax

Media:
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.