1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Buying a new Laptop

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Ofelix, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    It seems this forum will yet again hold a laptop topic :p

Anyhow, currently I'm in the market for a laptop computer. I've searched the web for some times, but I'd like some consumer's input into the product. What I'm looking for is a light device, nothing too heavy since its primary use will be for university. No need for fancy games and fancy GPU.

I also will use Linux, so I'm pretty sure I can save up some bucks since I won't have to buy a bloody win vista licence.

Obviously a good wi-fi card is needed, this computer has to be portable and ready to logg-in to the intertube (Home, Uni, Work etc.)

So, I guess I'm looking for a budget-friendly machine, light and portable.

Any guess?

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Over here, you could get a machine like that for £400 max. £350 if you shop around. But that's here, I've no idea how much they are in Ofelixland.

I also want a laptop, but I want one that I can play games on as well. That'll cost me the best part of £750. I want a Sony Vaio or a Macbook though.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Why not get one of those Asus Eee PCs? Small, light, Linux installed, $300-$500 depending on model.

Small 7" screen and small storage (2-8GB SSD depending on model) however.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yea, those are very popular around here. Enough for basic use and web surfing, but not much beyond that.

5. Barmy Army

Media:
    That sounds absolutely dire.

6. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Unless getting a Linux laptop like BTA mentioned, I'm afraid you will not be able to get a laptop without a Winblows license. I tried, went to store after store, and none of them would move - no Winblows license, no laptop.

That small Linux laptop does sound interesting... swap Linux for FreeBSD, of course.

7. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I put my vote in for the Asus Eee PC as well. If all you need is a web surfing, word processing, music playing, linux running laptop, the Eee PC is perfect.

However, for something that can do everything listed above, along with some light gaming, and more advanced applications, I highly recomend the HP dv6700t. Its starting price is less than $650. :D :rolling:

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The only real advantage that Eee has over regular laptops is higher portability and lower price. But unless you want the smallest possible laptop, investing a bit more and getting a regular low-end laptop will probably be a better buy in the long run as you'll be able to do much more with it.

9. Disciple of The Watch

Hmm, maybe it's just me, but I could swear I heard Flix say NO WINBLOWS LICENSE. Forget about HP or Dell, or any big manufacturer, for that matter, they WILL NOT sell a laptop without Winblows!

10. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    As much as it pains me to buy a windows license, I can actually just delete the windows partition and install linux. What matters most to me is what I would call a "university laptop" - you know, word processing, internet, spread sheets, presentation, music - that kind of stuff.

Kit; it seems to me this laptop compares in specs term to Dell's inspiron line doesn't it? I doubt I'll be needing all this software they bundle it with seeing I'll be using open source software anyway. Also the Inspirion has got a S-video output, which is kinda nice.

How would an Intel integrated gpu fare if I decide to do some video editing? I know this particular task requires more RAM than anything else, but surely if the gpu has to do something in the process no?

11. Kitrax

Media:
    Yeah....but unless you upgrade the OS options, you're going to get a version of Vista (probably Home Basic) that's pre-installed which is included in the price...so big deal.
    If you don't want it...reformat. :rolling:

12. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Then the Eee PC is great for that as long as you don't mind the small screen and keyboard. FireFox and OpenOffice are included.

If you want to do video editing, you can forget a budget laptop. That requires horsepower in every component, especially the processor.

13. Drugar

Drugar And now... we wait! Veteran

Media:
    Today, I read a article about Zepto Computers who are releasing a laptop for about $400 which include 15,4” screen, 2,0Ghz Celeron M550 processor, 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD, CD-burner, DVD-reader, 3in1 cardreader and SiS® Mirage vidcard.

No idea if or when they release it in the US, but maybe it's a thing to look out for.

14. Barmy Army

Media:
    I'd want at LEAST 2.4ghz, 17" screen, 2GB RAM, 250GB CPU.. at least. I can't see the point in getting one unless you're going to get one that can actually do something. Just pay a bit more and get a good unit that might last a few years.

15. Taluntain

Media:
    That depends entirely on your local market conditions. Getting a computer or a laptop with a blank hard drive is as easy as asking here.

16. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    It depends on what you will be using it for. Ofelix indicated he wanted a machine to do university work that was budget-friendly, light and portable. If he wants to haul around a monster of a laptop he could get what you suggest. If he really wants light, portable and capable of doing what he indicated he wanted, he could get something far lighter, more portable and cheaper.

17. Disciple of The Watch

Then you're a lucky fella, Tal, because try as I might, up here selling a OS-free laptop/PC is a big no-no. Something to do with M$ freaking out that selling me an OS-free box automatically means I want to use a pirated version of Winblows. And bringing my pack of Linux/BSD CDs didn't worked either.

18. Taluntain

Media:
    I believe that, but I guess the restrictions here aren't that harsh. It likely depends on the store too though. It's in their interest to enforce a policy of OS pre-installation since they get to sell them at a higher price.

19. Disciple of The Watch

I understand it's in their interest, but it still burns me off that to buy a laptop, I have to shell out $150 for a damn Winblows license I won't even use.

And even if I NEEDED a Winblows license, I have a retail XP Pro AND Vista Buisness, thanks to an arrangement my former school had with M$.

But back to the subject. I had to buy my laptop used to be able to get it Winblows free. I'll be custom building my next one, you can be sure.

Bottom line is, I understand M$ has a dominion on the PC market, even if I don't like it. What I do NOT accept, however, is getting Winblows forced down my throat.

20. Kitrax

Media:
    Ummm...what exactly is a 250GB CPU? :p :shake:

Anyway, back on topic....have you ever had a 17" laptop? They're large and heavy...not light and portable - which is something Ofie wants. :rolling:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.