1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Bush's Ultimatum: War Begins on 3/19/03?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Mathetais, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Fox News Reports

President Bush addressed our nation and with passion and determination gave Saddam Hussein his final chance to avoid war. The text is below.

I know that many of you have already stood up and said you were against action. But the inspectors have left, the troops are mobalizing ... the die is cast.

Voice your opinions here and in other acceptable formats. Also, pray for our troops and support them. Whether or not you agree with their Commander-in-Chief, agree that they are humans who are putting themselves in harms way on our behalf and deserve our heartfelt support.

2. Charlie Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] This is not the way I wanted to celebrate my birthday. I'm commemorating my birth on a day when people will start dying. :(

I'm very much against the war but as you said it doesn't matter anymore. I pray that the deaths and suffering are minimized although any loss is to be grieved. I pray that the effects on the economies of all countries are not affected too much. It is very frustrating to endure economic hardships brought upon by forces most people have no influence over. I pray that the US, UK, etc don't leave Iraq victorious and expect the Iraqi people and everyone else to clean up after them. I pray that retaliatory terrorist attacks do not follow.

I think I will go and hug my son now. I know some children may never see their father alive again after this war.

3. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] Like Bush or hate Bush, it was a great speech. G.W. isn't an incompetant like his father.

4. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Did anyone else notice any differences between the speech today and his last one? His last speech was just dreadful, tripping over words, stuff like that. Today's speech was flawless in my opinion. (note, I am talking about presentation and poise, not content)

As to my reaction? Its about fricken time! To quote a soldier, "It's showtime!"

5. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Fighting a war for a country or another person is always stupid. Then, I don't know the inside information involved in this so I cannot say wether the purpose for this war is something honourable or not. But I'm willing to bet the most obvious, being cash and fame, really is all that's needed. Maybe the US is actually doing a favor to everyone else and nobody knows it. Maybe they're all a bunch of freedomfries-eating idiots dumber than Bush himself who've just picked someone else to blame and compensate for their own problems. Whatever the case, a soldier need not have my respect. He's there because of his own choice. Wether it was stupidity or strong emotional feelings that made him go there makes no difference. All I can offer is pity, not for the individual, but for mankind in whole. War will truly be eternal within this race.

6. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Bush is right, but there is not only the will to free people, he wants to control the oil as well. But still, go and do it.

My 1/2 cents.

7. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    What really scares me is Bush II blind faith or rather him using the black and white scenario. The involvment of god leaves a sour taste in my mouth, it reminds me too much of the foaming mullahs in the middle east. His mention of homeland security is also something all of you that lives in America should be wary about, that is something that can very easily be abused, even the KGB was founded on good intentions, beware your goverment control over you minds.

As has been said so has the die been cast, all there is to hope for now is that all my suspicouns and fears about the US are wrong and false and that they really have good intentions, however much I doubt it. They are on a very dangerous path right now, look what one country could do to the world when it came under the power of a totalitarian regime during the middle of the last century. That was but one powerful nation among many equally powerful nations, what will happen today when one nation is so extremely more powerful than all the others and have already declared their disdain for cooperation and conviction that they are the champions of good and sole keepers of the truth? Bush II may not be evil and insane but he is creating a world and a nation ripe for the taking by a madman and he shatters all control that could be put on such a man if he gets near power. And whatever is said there are alot of very dangerous men with very strange ideas that are very close to the power in Washington.

8. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    My opinion on the war : Why bother protesting and discussing it? Whatever we say the governemnt will do what they want anyway Since when have they ever listened to us?

9. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

@joacqin

Fear not. For all the fortune and fancy technology of the US, there's a long way to go still before they can risk a nuclear war. The balance of power still exists today just as it did after the second great war. There's no way the US can do anything overly serious without getting wiped out themselves. It will be centuries before you can defend yourself against a couple of hundred thousand nuclear weapons.

Then again, who ever said the US would take arms to fend the rest of the world. They've already shown their power in trading. It is in their hands to practically force any country to their will, as was seen with the airline security regulations. As was seen with the latest desicion to banish the Iraqi ambassadors from even such a small country as Finland just now. This potential madman of yours can possibly push the world to who knows how far before anyone will actually take the risk of going into war with the US. As war with the US inevitably means that the destruction of this planet will come before any victory you might ever get.

But that's a worst case scenario. And I believe when many countries enough have suffered from the US oppression and trade manipulation, it will come to the point where europe and asia will form their own economy (though difficult this may be) and US will simply be left outside. Still, this would be detrimental to the US, effectively meaning they would have to intervene or their country would get destroyed from inside. Conclusion is therefore quite obvious.

The US will extend their power and rights for now. But eventually, for their own good, they will back down. With somewhat better resources to provide for the recovery from the war, and a few more extra forgotten problems of their own. The europe and asia will whine and wonder, but do nothing as is their due. Eventually, things will again fade to normal. History will remember this as a time of restlessness, and a warning of how even a great and "stable" country can sometimes go a bit haywire. But that's it.

Or, we will actually get a WWIII out of this :)

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I particularly enjoyed the oh-so-clear point and instructions to the people of Iraq:

Don't destroy the oil wells. Don't use weapons of mass destruction against us.

Indeed, those are the most important things of all... Especially leaving the oil wells intact! Seriously, how desperate do you think the people who wrote Bush's speech have to be for the oil there to push it even into his final declaration of war speech?

Might as well sum it up Trek-style. "Resistance is futile. Your distinctiveness will be added to our own." :borg:

11. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I also like how it makes it illegal for the Iraqi soldiers to defend themselves when they are under attack. Soldiers are expected to follow orders as long as it isnt clearly illegal orders such as rape her and torture him. But we already knew that anyone that didnt bow down and did exactly as Bush II wants is eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil and deserves to die...

12. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Good luck and best wishes to everyone involved, combatants and civilians alike. I hope it ends quickly and with minimum bloodshed. To our American and British friends here with friends in the military, I hope your personal losses are minimal.

13. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Bush is an attention starved idiot! Who cares about Iraq! (No offense meant to the Iraqi people) Oooh, I don't like you, or your family, so unless your all gone, I'm going to bomb the crap out of you! Give me a break.

14. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Hhehe remember Somalia, remember that almost every Iraqi civilian in Baghdad has a AK-47 or RPG.
    And that American troops arent really top-notch when it comes to urban warfare....

15. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] This is quite possible the saddest day I can remember. I've lived through a few wars and have family and friends who've been involved in a few. While the motives have been questionable on a few, this is the first I can think of where a supposedly civilised world power has willingly (and it seems with relish) gone to war against another country where the other country has not attacked someone else first. Call me a sad idealist but I would really rather hope that no democratic country can start a war without a clear and direct threat that has been openly proved unless the people of that democracy have been allowed to vote. It would also be nice to think that the UN had some real power but it seems it is like having a police force but the citezens are free to commit whatever crimes they please as long as they think of themselves as vigilantes.

I do however hope that everyone involved in this (especailly the innocent children) fares as well as possible (I said I was a sad idealist and hoping that people can be ok is another sign of it) and that it is all over quickly. I fera this may be a dragged out much longer than expected though. Someone previously mentioned they had nothing but 'pity' for soldiers but I think that many soldiers do sign up for the right reasons - to defend their homeland and loved ones. As such they deserve our respect whoever they may fight for.

Sadly I expect that our muppet of a 'leader' will now drag us into this too. The only consulation is that it seems that there are still some politicians with morals, judging by the ministers resigning and talking of resigning from the Government in protest. Perhaps the pro-war politicians could also earn my respect by showing their true devotion to conflict and joining the frontlines.

Oh well, I can't be bothered to write anymore, it's all just too depressing.

PS if anyone knows a way of leaving the Human race please let me know.

16. aegron Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] A few questions:

1. What is the link between Iraq and terrorism? nothing! Of course Sadam is a bad guy who should be gone, but don't mix up terrorism and saddism (no pun intended)

2. tomorrow Bush decides that Balkenendes (our prime minister) haircut isn't his style. So he declares it is certain we have mass destructions weapons and comes to the netherlands and starts killing people to bring down our goverment. But hey it's for your own good!

3. Does bush realizes that the wild wild west does not excist anymore? I know he's from Texas but come on!

4. Isn't there a saying that men with big gun have to compensate for something? Poor mrs Bush!

17. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    What prime minister?? we donĀ“t have one, nor we have a government :spin:

18. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

[​IMG] I am sorry to be a nitpick, but the war began in Jan 18th, 1991. Per the terms of the cease-fire on Feb 28, 1991, this is just a continuation of that conflict. The cease-fire was conditional on Iraq's consent to disarm. As Iraq has broken the terms of the cease-fire, hostilities will renew.

This is an important distinction. Even the US press is missing the point on this one and calling it the first time the US has acted preemptively to remove a threat. Iraq, by not fulfilling the agreements of the ceasefire, has brought this action on themselves. American is not technically launching a preemptive strike; we are just completing a war that had a time out called in 12 years ago.

aegron,

This is a juvinile statement unworthy of being placed in a conversation as serious as this. I have already had my hand slapped for insulting someone on this forum or I would tell you exactly what this statement tells about you.

And finally a great quote for this situation

The World is not dangerous because of those who do harm but because of those who look at it without doing anything.
    -Albert Einstien

[ March 18, 2003, 16:51: Message edited by: Darkwolf ]

19. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Check THIS out.

When we take Saddam out of power, the troops will be greeted as Liberators. The 25 year nightmare for the Iraqi people will be finally over.

20. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Actually, that IS very important. What does firing the oil wells accomplish besides environmental disaster, and lengthening Iraq's economic recovery? Remember, Iraq's wealth is in oil; if you destroy the well heads, it will just take that much longer for them to recover.

It says nothing about legalities. It says let us come in peacefully and you won't die, and asks whether they feel Saddam's regime is worth dying for.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.