1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Bush Sworn in for a 2nd term...

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Kitrax, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Well, the Bush bashing is going to start sooner or later on this subject, so I figured I'd get it started now, so it can be finished sooner.

So Pres. Bush gets sworn in for his second term...have at him. :doh: :rolling:

2. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

Yeah, because we need YET ANOTHER post devoted solely to George Bush.

Please.

A great, big waste of topic space, if you ask me.

3. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Oh joy. :rolleyes: Kitrax, you just couldn't resist, could you? (bleh)

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    What kinda surprises me is that there doesnt seem to be all that much of demonstrations and protests. IIRC there were quite a lot on his last coronation. Have all the USaians accepted Bush II as their sovereign now?

5. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

On the contrary -- there was quite a bit of protest. Reports came in of some of the crowds charging the barricades at 14th St., during the parade, getting a face full of teargas or pepper spray for their efforts. There were also times when the motorcade had to speed up to get past the rows of protesters. I saw some of them presenting their backs to the motorcade, holding up small black and white signs over the backs of their heads, stating "Liar".

6. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

AoDA Masochism Rule #1: :doh: :doh: + :bang: :bang: = :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

7. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Ooh! Ooh! I'll bite! Can I play?

Ok! Ok! Here's mine!

Bush Starts New Term, Seeks End to Tyranny

End to Tyranny? That's easy! All he has to do is retire!

[snare drum!]brata TA![/snare drum!]

Thank you! Thank you! I'll be here all week. Be sure to tip your waitress on the way out!

8. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Nice, ArtE.

The voters have spoken, and you have to accept that. It doesn't mean you have to be happy about it, but there is little else that can be done without resorting to lawlessness. Same story in Australia, although at least John Howard's government isn't capable of the same level of action as Dubya Inc., and federal Labor is even more of a shambles than the US Democrats (and the Aussie ones, for that matter).

Making sure that the administration is held accountable will require the other members of Congress and the Senate to force the Republicans to answer difficult questions. IMHO, the hardest part of this will be convincing the Democrats to do so. The shock of 9/11 should have worn off by now for policy-makers - especially given the results of the invasion of Iraq and the WMD "intelligence". A majority of the people clearly do not want these questions answered badly enough, but I would like to think that there are enough intact spinal columns somewhere in Congress to press the issue.

I'm not sure about the impeachment process, but considering the fact that Nixon and Clinton both got impeached for lying with non-fatal consequences, the recent end to the search for WMDs should prompt a few more questions, given that it was the principal reason cited for the Iraq war. It will probably go nowhere and be defeated by a party-line vote, but it's worth a look.

Happy, Kitrax?

9. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I don't see how Bush being sworn in is such a big deal. Bush being voted in was the big event, this is just a 'congratulations' to whoever wins the election in my opinion.

10. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    It's only a big deal if you're bitter, and incapable of moving on :p

11. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Well the only thing I found special about him swearing in for a 2nd term that you could actually buy tickets to the event. 50-300 dollars per ticket if I don't remember it all wrong. Why take the boy to a baseball match when you could just take him to see Bush swear his oath! :D

12. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    No protests of any scale have been reported here and our commie slanted leftist media would probably have jumped on it. I have seen some articles but that has been about smaller protests, nothing big. However, whether you like him or not he did win quite comfortable this time around and there was not the controversy which surrounded the last election so trying to disturb the coronation seems rather pointless and unescessary.

13. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] ... well, that was sort of predictable for everyone who followed the news the last months methinks ... ;) :p

14. Cernak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

As Jon Stewart noted on the Daily Show, 49% of us were swearing too. (I trust that's a true figure.)

15. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Actually I like Bush, I voted for him...and if he could run for 3 terms, I'd probably vote for him again. And personally I really don't like all this 'Bush Bashing'...I just kenw it was going to happen. The Non-USA SPers here just can't wait to jump down the poor guy's throat and slander my country...and now there is even an entire forum dedicated to house all the Bush/USA bashing. :grr: :bang:

I have only two things left to say:

#1: If you're a non-USA SPer, and you hate Bush/USA, just be glad you don't live in the USA...so you have no real say on him/my country...unless your country was recently liberated by the USA.

#2: If you are an American SPer, and you hate Bush, then by all means, move to another country! Mexico and Canada could use the extra population, and that'll give the 50% + of the US population who DID vote for him a little more room to strech...and less traffic. :rolleyes: :rolling:

16. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Kitrax,
    you have a peculiar perception of how to deal with of dissent and the function of public discussion in a democratic republic.

Having been elected doesn't, or shouldn't, immunize against critique, or critical congressional oversight for that instance. In principle, I take it, you don't pay congress for being court claqeurs to nod and applaude to everything dear Leader sais.
    Amen. I hope, seriously hope, that's not what you mean. That would be a strangely outdated mindset, proven wrong by history.

Does loving our country require unquestioning support for President Bush, as many of his most devoted followers insist, I too wonder ...

17. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I resent Kitrax's comments.
    The United States of America was founded on the principal that citizens have the right to protest. I have ancestors who fought for that right. I consider remarks such as Kitrax's to come from only an uneducated mentality. He has the right to his opinion and I have the right to mine. When we loose that right we cease to be the USA that was founded in 1776.

Yes, Kitrax has the right to feel that way and even to state it but he will not be suprised that 49% of us will object. I hope many of the 50% who voted for Bush will also protest statements such as Kitrax's.

18. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Okay, fine. You aren't the same USA that was founded in 1776.

Frankly, it might be 49% of the USA swearing.. But worldwide, I'd guess at approximately 80%.

19. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

Eh? I thought only about 60% of the elligible voters (not population) voted in the election full stop? And of those Bush got about half - ie 30% of the electorate?

You don't think they should stay and voice their dissent whenever possible?

20. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Dumbass.

If you are an American SPer, and you are Kitrax, by all means move to another forum, and that'll give the 99% + of us who can actually think for ourselves a little less spam to read... and more bandwidth.

[ January 23, 2005, 15:57: Message edited by: ArtEChoke ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.