1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Build Question

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by DrEm314, Oct 24, 2007.

1. DrEm314 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I recently got classic Neverwinter Nights from a friend, and was wondering if the Icewind Dale II, high AC builds were viable in Neverwinter Nights. The 72 AC spellswords were pretty fun in HoF mode. I'm guessing for NWN, it would be a Human, 1 Monk/1 Ranger/x Sorc build? (Monk for AC, Ranger for DualWield Finesser, and Sorc for nuking?)

Or if there were any better spell sword combos that worked well? From what I've read, it seems for classic NWN, pure builds seem to be best with the lvl 20 cap, but I would like to see if some multi-class spellswords were viable.

I'll probably only be playing the original campaign in NWN.

Thanks!

2. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    In NWN you can only pick three classes, reading your post I think you'd better get hold of the expansions. The OC is not the best module by far. Expansions allow you to play prestige classes (classes that are only available if you meet their requirements during the game and these classes don't count for XP penalty, these classes can also be taken in the OC) and they allow you to download some great modules on the net. Plus HotU is very good (especially if you like higher level games, the XP cap is raised to level 40).

Nevertheless regarding your build I'd say that you might have to spread out your stats a lot (the Monk AC bonus from WIS for instance won't be that good and it shouldn't be the main reason to pick this class; finesse means that you'll be using Cat's Grace a lot to boost your DEX because if you want to max out CHA at creation -and you should do that for a Sorcerer- you won't have so many ability points left). In the end the two levels which may look like a good idea will hinder your spellcasting.

Remember that in NWN stats over 14 at character creation cost more points. Moreover in the OC itself you can find many items that duplicate some classes abilities making them redundant (some items give evasion or ambidexterity, some give hefty stat bonuses but you'll have to choose which one to equip).

I'd rather go with a Monk/Paladin/Sorcerer instead. Monk for evasion, saves and Monk only items, Paladin for combat feats, CHA bonus to saves (which will certainly be higher than the WIS AC bonus) and Sorcerer for offensive spells. Still, the Monk level might be a waste if the only advantage you get from it is evasion (which sooner or later you will be able to get with a ring or some other item).

3. DrEm314 Gems: 2/31

Thanks! I didn't realize the stats would be alot more scarce in NWN. I can't min-max without a party, and the increasing costs threw me for a bit of a loop.

Oh, and I was actually a bit surprised, my friend gave me the discs for Neverwinter Nights Platinum, so I DO have the expansions. I'll probably go dig through the NWN wiki and see if I can find a build I like.

I had another question about spellcaster epic and prestigue classes. Do sorcerers and wizards beyong lvl 20 just stop getting more spells? If so um... what's the point of going beyond 20? epic feats? Seems a bit of a waste.

Do the prestigue "caster" classes get any traditional spells? or are all the new abilities feat based?

Thanks again.

4. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    You don't get any extra spells for going beyond lvl 20 in a caster class. Now, I usually don't play caster classes, so I could be wrong, but I think the only benefit of going beyond lvl 20 is increasing spell DCs. There are some epic spell feats, which are only accessable if you're an epic caster. Someone else will be able to tell you if they're worth it or not, I've never played any spellcaster to such a high level.

5. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    You won't reach the level cap in HotU. Some builds are very effective at higher levels but are a real pain to begin the game with. If you start in HotU your character is levelled up to level 15 so it's not so bad.
    My advice would be to experiment various builds and see what you like best. The best thing in this game is character development and the different strategies you can elaborate. Check the NWN grimoire (it's somewhere in the NWN section on SP) you'll get all the information you need about classes, epic feats, spells and the like.

6. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

http://web1.vattnet.com/staffan/nwn1/builds/search/index.php

its the nwn character build search
    also has a link to the nwn2 character buil search

you have to login to the bioware forum to view the builds. i urge anyone with the time to look up the builds by grizzled_dwarflord as more than half have a great story to explain the character. just check out the professional & the iron archer for great examples. oh also the hearth guard for a very nice take on a dwarven defender!

7. DrEm314 Gems: 2/31

Thanks for all the great info!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.