1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Build a new PC, or get a Steam Box?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Death Rabbit, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Curious what people think here.

I'm saving up now to build a new gaming PC. New case, CPU, GPU, Ram, the whole nine. I've got the parts picked out and am waiting a few months to put the scratch together to purchase. It's been a while since I've built a rig from the ground up, so I'm excited.

However - I'm seeing a lot of chatter about the new Steam Boxes that various companies are going to release in the latter half of the year, and now I'm not sure which way to go. Most of the games I play are on Steam already anyway, so it makes sense. But I don't know if I will be limited ONLY to Steam games (i.e., bye bye Diablo 3, SimCity, etc.). I could also build a gaming rig that far surpasses the power of a Steam Box without much fuss.

Anyway - thoughts? Also curious if anyone's interested in the Steam boxes at all. Thanks.

2. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Don't know what kind of specs a steambox would have, but I would expect it to be not that high, considering what's been done with the new generation of consoles.

One thing to keep in mind is that the steambox' operating system isn't windows, it's a linux variant. That means that not all games will run on it out of the box. Furthermore, this steambox OS is supposedly tailored for playing games, so I'm not sure how easy it is to do anything else on it (interwebs, making simple documents).

I have a HTPC running on Openelec/XBMC, which is a linux distribution tailored to home entertainment, i.e. watching movies and listening to music. It does well for what it's intended, but anything outside of that will require some special hoops that need going through. So what I'm trying to say is that it might be kind of more limited than you might expect from a PC.

I would build my own PC, because I want it to be able to do specific things, and that's generally not something that I kind find on the shelf anywhere. But even if I were considering something like a pre-built PC, I would wait it out a bit. Watch the cat out of the tree, as they say around here (literal translation). See what start up problems they have, what it turns out is actually possible to do on this steambox and what not. No great need to be the first adapter, because they'll basically be the beta-testers. Or alpha-testers, if the launch problems of steam itself are any indication.

3. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. I've purposely avoided being an early-adopter of anything for that reason. I'm generally fine with version 2.0 of just about everything.

Also, I would like the ability to do other things with it, even though this rig will be used primarily for gaming. My wife and I have MacBooks for our work stuff, and we usually use them for email, web, etc. I'd much rather build a box that I can customize.

Basically I'm looking for excuses to build my own machine, which it seems is what I really wanna do anyway. :evil:

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I wouldn't (only) buy a Steam Box yet. As henkie noted the Steam OS will only run games that run on Linux. It can also (supposedly) stream games from another Windows PC you have.

So, build your new PC and maybe get a Steam Box if you want to play all your games on your TV too :)

5. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Well in that event, I'll just get a GPU that is HDMI capable (most of them these days) and an extra-long HDMI cable. I'm not above relocating my PC to the living room.

And then...um...removing it before the wife gets home. :)

6. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    Here is a website with info on the current release steam machines, including price and specs of each one.
    http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/...m-machines-and-all-of-their-glorious-variety/

IMO they are very over priced and the manufacturer's missed the point of the steam machine concept and instead of building an affordable alternative to the PC that would still blow consoles out of the water, they turned it into an arms race to build the most powerful steam machine, which makes the price impractable.

at this point in time I would build a new PC.

7. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Wouldn't any pc you slap Stam OS on be a steam-box?

8. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    You could always build a cube PC and stick steam os on it, yes.

9. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Well, there's some cheaper options as well in that list, and some of the prices are for the small form factor and design as well, I'm sure.

Other than that, yes, you could put Steam OS on any PC you build yourself as well, but what would be the point of that? Might as well put a more broadly usable Linux distro on it as well (I'm considering it for the HTPC as well), or just plain Windows with Steam and all the other goodies that make it usable for more than just games.

10. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Have any of you had good experience with Alienware machines?

11. henkie

Media:
    Don't know much about Alienware, except that it generally looks like a discoball and costs more than I would pay.

12. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    My recollection about Alienware when I was pricing out machines a while ago was that it looked like you were paying a premium for a weird case.

13. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Wasn't that how Apple tried to operate with some of their Macs this last decade?

14. Death Rabbit

Media:
    In the 90's, yes. The old weird colored bubble iMacs were pieces of crap. The past decade has been great for Macs. Slick, simple, beautifully designed cases, both the desktops and laptops. By far the most reliable, easy-to-operate computers I've ever owned. In my industry (graphic design) they're everywhere, and I never, ever hear any of my friends or peers go "ugh, these macs are such pieces of sh*t. So stupid that everybody uses these." Just never, ever happens. We love 'em. Because they just work. Forever. Some people may consider them overpriced, but for the quality and reliability you get, the price has never bothered me.

If it weren't for gaming, I would never use a PC.

15. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Apple products due tend to be very durable. My very first computer, an Apple IIGS still worked fine in 2009, but I had to put it in storage for a lack of space.

My PowerMac 6500/300 from 1997 died in 2011, and I could probably fix it if I had a replacement power supply, but its proprietary and it would probably cost less to buy a TV tuner card for one of my newer computers. All I used it for in the last few years of its life was the TV tuner card, AIM, and displaying text files from GameFAQs so I didn't have to hit alt-tab mid-game (everything else is Windows).

Anyways, in addition to the iCraps (I never heard any good things about the iMacs you're talking about), I was thinking of things like the MacCube and that other one that looks like a monitor with a small, circular stand where the CPU is in the stand, yet the stand is actually smaller than the base of a smaller flatscreen monitor I have.
    I can't recall what it was called or what year, just that it was in the window of the Apple Store at Woodfield Mall for a while.

Both struck me as being cutesy CPU cases rather than selling on the machine's capabilities.

16. Death Rabbit

Media:
    New question.

I've never really messed around with SLi before. In considering my future rebuild, I'm faced with two options.

My current GPU is an EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB, and it's only a few years old. I could find a second one online for about $100 right now.

Or, would it be better to upgrade to a single new GTX 660 Ti or 670, for around $300?

17. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Tough call. According to Tom's Hardware charts the 560Ti is about half the performance of the 660Ti and less for the 670 in the 3DMark11 bench. Since you won't get double the performance in SLI the SLI will be worse than both. And I imagine the power consumption for the two cards will be greater than the single card options (though I didn't actually look up the power consumption numbers).

So is saving $200 worth it? Maybe.

18. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Awe, nuggets. Yeah, I didn't think about the power consumption. Good call.

I'll do the upgrade.

19. henkie

Media:
    Also, SLI is a lot more prone to have problems with games than a single card setup.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.