1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Broadband problems

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Shell, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    [​IMG] I have a very bizarre and annoying problem with my connection. When I'm online, the internet keeps disconnecting itself. Usually there are 4 lights lit up on the modem when I'm connected (Power, DSL, Internet, Ethernet) but when it disconnects the Internet one goes off. I'm thinking maybe it's a problem with World of Warcraft. Can anyone help?

(If you need more info on the computer etc post below and I will reply)

2. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

It may be a problem with your ISP, I recently had problems and had to replace my modem. You can call your ISP and ask them to run a diagnostic on your modem, i tmay help.

3. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    If the internet light is going off...that's on the ISP's side of your connection.

When I lived at my parent's house, their DSL modem did that all the time. Doing a power cycle (unplug the modem's power cord, wait at least 30 seconds, and plug it back it) sometimes fixed it. Other times we'd call the ISP and they would confirm that there was an outage in the area. One month, it happened 3 times, so they gave us a free month of service. :D

Call up your ISP, if it is indeed their fault, ask for some incentive for the time lost when you could have been online. :rolling:

4. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

I am curious, what does the "Internet" LED mean? A bit strange that they have a separate LED for it IMHO. What is the model of the modem?

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Every broadband modem will have WAN and LAN leds (along with the obvious PWR and WLAN if it supports wireless, and possibly one or two others). I expect Shell was referring to the WAN led. I can't see how it could have separate "DSL" and "Internet" leds... it's the same thing from the modem's perspective, really. Unless it has one for actual data transfer and one just for the connection...

6. Shell

Media:
    It's a BT Voyager 210 ADSL Router

7. Erod Gems: 14/31

Veteran

I was thinking that maybe it could indicate L3 connectivity to the ISP, as the DSL LED should indicate L2 connectivity to the DSLAM. But that would be the first one that I see with such a feature. I did not find any manuals online for this model either...

Edit: Found this on the Tiscali forum: "...The Internet LED only comes on when you've successfully connected to your ISP..." So it would seem that there is indeed an Internet LED to indicate ISP connectivity, if the above is correct.

[ August 16, 2007, 02:47: Message edited by: Erod ]

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  9. Shell

Media:
    Er...so does that mean it's the ISPs problem?

10. Chas Gems: 14/31

My modem also has a DSL and an internet light. The DSL light goes green when the modem has made a connection to the other modem at the ISP's end. After the DSL is connected, the internet light goes green when you are logged in, using the stored account name and password. The internet light being green means you are now connected to the ISP's gateway, or router, or server, whatever it is called.
    So your modem is connected OK but the ISP keeps 'losing your account'. So I would say it has to be the ISP's fault. Double check your stored account name and password, but it sounds like they must be OK or you would never be logged in.

11. Taluntain

Media:
    Definitely call the ISP.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.