1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Brazil's space program

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Oxymore, Aug 23, 2003.

1. Oxymore Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Hell, I didn't even know Brazil had a space program until I read this article .

It makes me think: is it a good thing to invest in space travel for such a country? As I understand, Brazil isn't a economical powerhouse (yet?), what good will that program bring to them? The president vowed to feed the citizens of his country when he took office, couldn't all that money be put to better use?

What do you think?

2. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

The program propably aims at developing high-tech industries, educate and employ scientists and so ensure the economical future of Brazil and making scientific progresses, which are in the end of practical use for the Brazilians in general. I guess this are the main goals of every space-program. Devoting national resources in hope for scientific progress which in the end yields a profit for all, i.e. make Brazilian industry an international competitior, diminish poverty and solving of "real-life" technical issues.

program
    The program was started 1994, so the now acting president has more or less herited it. Just stopping it may mean a lot of wasted money, I guess.

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Sure, the Brazilians built the HSB instrument (Humidity Sounder for Brazil), one of several instruments on the EOS Aqua satellite that launched about a year ago.

4. Silverwolf86 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I think I see well Brazil's point of veiw on the issue and well it's understandable and sympathizable at least. My own extreme environmentalist issues get in the way so the fist thing I could think of Brazil doing with the money is building up their military and preventing the annihalation of the Brazil Amazon Rainforest. See, ranchers burn down areas, use the burnt forest for cattle grazing for about 2 years before it gets to completely unusable and they go burn down more. The problem is, the only way the Brazilian government can really stop them is militarily and if they fire rubber bullets at guys every time they try to set fires, a riot turned revolution with the government would be started and then they'd be kicked out anyways and more forest might get burned down in the process. *agonizes over this dillemma*

So yeah, I agree with their decision to start a space program in the hopes that it will solve some national problems (as well as stimulating the economy and drawing in scientists) I have no idea if it will do the things they hope it will and in all honesty I don't see any better ideas for them. Also, before you suggest they use the money to feed their people, you should analyze the facts and try to come up in your own mind HOW they could do this and whether the space program might do this just as well.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.