1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Brain hungry...feed me book!

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Death Rabbit, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Please recommend me a book. Or nine.

I'm on a reading kick lately, and I'm sick of my favorite author, Chuck Paluhnialphabet (author of Fight Club and Choke whose name I can never spell and have given up trying to pronounce). I've been cranking through the Elmore Leonards, but I'm kind of sick of crime novels right now. I'm also not in the mood for fantasy.

Something sardonic, and funny (but not a comedy book) and semi-topical would be good. Books about the Nazis always interest me for some strange reason, fiction or otherwise. Don't ask me why - I blame Wolfenstein 3d and Benknobs & Broomsticks for my latent Nazi fetish, but that's another topic.

Thanks a pantload.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Not much comedy in these:

For Whom the Bell Tolls -- Ernest Hemmingway. Perhaps the best book I've ever read.

The Old Man and the Sea -- Ernest Hemmingway. Pulitzer Prize winning novella.

The Caine Mutiny -- Herman Wouk. Another Pulitzer Prize winning novel (the movie is great, the book is better).

The Eagle Has Landed -- Jack Higgins. This one has German soldiers who are definately not Nazis.

The Spy Who Came in From the Cold -- John le Carre. The best spy novel ever.

Eye of the Needle -- Ken Follett. Another novel with Nazis.

The Evil that Men Do -- R. Lance Hill. Good luck finding this book. A hit man is hired to punish a Nazi trained torturer.

3. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Totally agreed. I have 3 copies of this book, strangely. One I bought for myself, and two gifted from my brother and aunt when I mentioned I was reading Hemingway. :) Yeah, that Christmas sucked.

The Spy Who Came In From the Cold was already on my "to buy" list, so thanks for confirming.

4. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Chasing a Mirage by Tarek Fatah. It's non-fiction, and it is an erudite Muslim author arguing that he and his peers need to do more to roll back radical Islam and stop the ridiculous belief that countries should be ruled by sharia law. It's well written, extremely enlightening, and gives a person hope, as it demonstrates that not all Muslims are whackjobs lusting to blow us up.

On a lighter note, you could read Why You're going to Hell for leaving the Mormon Church by Elder Imagun Whippah Yo'Ass, the eminent and fiery African convert to the faith. ;)

I'm sorry, I'm in a weird mood today.

5. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    If you're somewhat into mysteries, you can get books by Aaron Elkins. His main series has a protagonist who is a physical anthropologist (nicknamed the skeleton detective). The books aren't too deep but are interesting. I find him to be a pretty decent author.

How about something completey off what you might normally read like a biography. About a year or two ago I went on a bio kick and read numerous books about the revolutionary war period. The John Adams one was really interesting (I think they made it into a miniseries or something like that).

My advice to you if you want to dabble in "classics" is to stay away from Dickens, Melville, and the Russian authors unless you have a serious tolerance for wading through prose or, in the case of Melville, wanting to expand your vocabuly on stupid esoteric words (I had to have a dictionary open each time I read him and it just wasn't all that fun).

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    How about Catch-22? Linky Linky

7. Death Rabbit

Media:
    You know something? I've never read either Catch 22, Ferenheit 451 or Slaughterhouse 5. Mayhaps the month of May will be numbers month. (Or Freshman Lit reading catch-up month. :D )

8. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I read some Dickens (Great Expectations and A Tale of Two Cities) when I was 14 or so and didn't mind them at all. I should note that this is with an annoyance to the aforementioned lengthy prose. I will agree with the Russians though, Boris Pasternak's Dr. Zhivago was a great effort to finish, and even though I loved the book, Dostoeyevsky's The Brother's Karamazov, I could never sit down and read it for any significant length of time.

OK, enough of that and time for a serious recommendation, Kurt Vonnegut's Mother Night. It's not like most of his books where he has a bunch of SciFi elements that I never like, in fact it has none at all (IIRC). What it does have is a clever plot, good humor, nice satirical writing, and also Nazi's. It is definately worth a read, one of my favorite little books.

So, go read it.

-edit- Haha, new replies while I was posting. You mentioned Slaughterhouse 5 and to that I say you should definitely read Mother Night before it. If you like Vonnegut's writing in the latter, than you can read Slaughterhouse 5, but otherwise don't start with it. Not a favorite of mine.

Fahrenheit 451 was a pretty good book and I enjoyed it, thought it wasn't anything immensely special for me. I can't comment on Catch 22 because I have neglected reading it, despite considering it every time I get near my family's tiny bookshelf at home.

9. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Oooh. Never read Catch-22, I think I might disown you. Mostly very funny and well worth the read.

10. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    So, mods, I want to point DR to some comics that're legally available free online. Only there's, like, profanity and/or nudity and/or gore in the comics. Okay to link directly, or should I just point him to the companies' homepages and let him take it from there?

11. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Try some of Stephen Fry's books. They're very well written can be light-hearted without taking away from the seriousness of what he's talking about

12. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The earlier books in the Kay Scarpetta series were quite good by Patricia Cornwell.

I would also recommend early Tom Clancy -- The Hunt of Red October and Red Storm Rising are amazing.

13. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    If they're 18/21+, send him a PM instead.

14. Death Rabbit

Media:
    He already did. And there was boobies. :thanks:

15. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Yeah, a few minutes after I posted I remembered that there were these mysterious things called 'PMs' and decided to investigate further. I'm clever like that.

16. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    If you're into old but classic and timeless political satire, I recommend Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift.

17. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I have never read Slaughterhouse 5 either, but of the other two, I would definitely recommend Catch 22 over Farhenheit 451.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.