1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Borderlands 3 - Review @ Venturebeat

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by RPGWatch, Sep 12, 2019.

1. RPGWatch

RPGWatch Watching... ★ SPS Account Holder

[​IMG]Venturebeat has reviewed the upcoming Borderlands 3:

[​IMG]

Borderlands 3 review - Fun action, but some yucks are too yucky

Borderlands came out 10 years ago, and in some ways, it helped spur a new genre of shooters. Gearbox Software combined the fast action of a Doom or a Duke Nukem with the loot and role-playing game progression of Diablo, and we can trace the roots of Destiny, The Division 2, and Warframe to Borderlands.

And while I see the appeal of these MMO looter-shooters, I prefer playing by myself, in a world full of quests with a more cohesive narrative and a slower pace. Borderlands 3 delivers this, improving its RPG progression and gunplay along the way to its September 13 release on PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One. And considering that the Borderlands series sold 5 million copies between publisher Take Two Interactive's May and August earnings periods (and sold 41 million copies overall), a demand exists for this take on shooters.

[...]

Conclusion

Above: Blowing up this brainy badguy with a mech is a blast.
    Image Credit: GamesBeat

When I started Borderlands 3, I expected to find some nice advancements on previous games. Gearbox has been making this series for years now, and it's nailed the formula while advancing it with each new release, creating deeper, more interconnected systems and progression.

But since Borderlands hit the scene in 2009, we've had a new genre of online shooters that ape the loot-collecting of Gearbox's franchise and older games like Diablo. And many of them do this well. Borderlands 3 reminds us that the market still exists for slower-paced single-player games with lots of loot and a variety of combat styles. Gearbox nails this.

I just wish the studio had advanced its humor and encounter design as much as class progression and weapon variety. If you enjoy lootin'-and-shootin', check out Borderlands 3. But go in knowing that you're going to cringe at some of the jokes and feel fatigue every now and then.

Claptrap's ass can only plug so many holes, after all.

Score: 77/100

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2019
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.