1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Boots of Speed - can you slow them down?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Maldir, Jul 11, 2001.

1. Maldir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

The Boots of Speed are very useful, but does anyone know a way to stop the person wearing them rushing straight off in front of the party? It's quite annoying to have one member of your group out of sight of the rest of the party and run into a group of enemies.

2. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I would recommend turning *off* the party AI (the lantern in the lower right corner of the screeen) and disabling the character script from "default" (or whatever you choose) to "none". This should help - then your party shouldn't do anything you don't order it to do.

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited July 11, 2001).]

3. Lord Praetor Munir Gems: 11/31

Ragusa, I think he meant to address the problem of having one of your characters meet the enemy alone while the rest of your party is trying to keep up with him. I think the only way is to get your character to take off the boots although I'm not sure if you can take off your boots while in combat.

Another way is to cast a slow spell on that character. Or maybe to make your character encumbered a little.

4. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] It is not annoying - it is the permanent effect of those boots.

If you can't live with it, sell them!

5. Ragusa

Media:
    I thought he was talking about a char running away to attack uncontrollably .... like my halfling cavalier did (I gave him the fighter1 script - perfect for barbarians and berserkers as well :D ) .... that's AI related. So if you want to use the boots of speed to your full advantage (means: not having a char breaking out of line) - turn off the AI. So you can give him the advantage of good speed while retaining control. They are too valuable to be stored in the inventory.

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited July 11, 2001).]

6. Maldir Gems: 11/31

Ragusa, I don't think the problem is one of party AI, it's when I select my group to move a long way over a screen, and the one with Boots of Speed runs off at twice the pace of the others. Now, if anyone could tell me a way to make the party stay in formation while they move...
    Maybe I'll have to take them off, but they're too useful in combat to sell.

7. Ragusa

Media:
    Oh, that's your problem ... well then Lord Praetor is right, taking them off is the only way to avoid it.

8. Zaragoth Guest

[​IMG] (A bit of topic)
    Does the boots of speed also increase your attack speed or only your movement?
    :cool:

9. Bowie Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Zaragoth- Only your movement, I believe.

Also, Maldir, instead of taking the boots on and off, you could put a ring of free action on the character, as the ring disables the boots. But this solution is just as pointless as the first one, IMO.

10. Ragusa

Media:
    The boots of speed *do not* increase the number of attacks. It just looks like that. The animation uses the haste/ oil of speed spell graphics, so your char seems to hit faster while your number of attacks is in fact unchanged.

11. Silvershade Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Are you really sure that the boots of speed don't give an extra attack per round, Ragusa? I thought that if you are wearing them they give the seem advantages as a haste spell which gives one extra attack per round.

ps: The Ring of Free Action does not disable the Boots of Speed (probably a bug).

12. Jander Sunstar Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

well, cast a haste spell to the rest so everyone will move at the same speed ;), or just keep track of the progression by moving a bit and waiting...

13. Ragusa

Media:
    The problem with the haste spell is, that it, unlike the boots of speed and the oil of speed, will make your party tired soon after the spell effect wears off so you need to rest to stop them mourning.

14. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] You guys are all wrong! :p

The boots of speed indeed increases the attack rate; but only for warriors(fighter, ranger, paladin) and only after level 13!

I don't know why is that, but Minsc gained +1/2 attack per round when using the boots of speed, so did my favorite fighter Mazzy.

15. Lord Praetor Munir Gems: 11/31

on that fact.. i think my Minsc did seem to get more attacks than my F/M/T... ill have to reload my Final save on that and check that one out.. but i think ur probably right...

16. Auger Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] Not that I would do this, but your could always ShadowKeep your way to your entire party having boots of speed, could you not?

17. Extremist Gems: 31/31

[​IMG] No you couldn't. Or you could but you'll keep silent about it.

Otherwise, that will have this consequence:
    If you get into a problem and need my answer - you can forget about it.

In case of that utility I'm a damned mad racist!

/nick ShadowKeeper_Buster

18. Silvershade Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Extremist, did you not forget a :mad: smiley in your post?

19. Auger Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Extremist - you picked your name very well. I assume "Fanatic" was already taken (JK). Personally, I do not care if people cheat, although I wouldn't do it (I think). The only real problem I will have with it is if it messes up the import to NWN, where it could affect my gaming experience. From what I read, however, that shouldn't be a problem (I know, a better post for the NWN forum, although it does apply somewhat here).

20. Extremist Gems: 31/31

*Giggle*

No, no, the post is on it's proper place - I mean: to mention an util like that in possibly the next generation of RPGs forum... :rolleyes:

MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.