1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Boots from Bloodscalp

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Shadow Steele, Dec 26, 2003.

1. Shadow Steele

Shadow Steele Still hiding in the shadows all night

How do you get the boots from Bloodscalp? His assassin wont die. I had a fallen Deva, 4 skeleton warriors, and a party of three. I actually killed Renal, but his assassin wouldnt die. What do I do?

2. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Ah, you mean THE assassin. I wont tell ya who he is, but ya can't kill 'im, ever. Life's a *****, aint it? :D

3. Shadow Steele

sooooo I cant get the boots and live? Oh well guess I'll get some somewhere else. :bang: Thanks.

4. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

You can only get those boots if you side with Bodhi.

5. Shadow Steele

Spoiler

I got the boots by summoning a bunch of skeleton warriors and a fallen deva, this kept the assassin busy while I got rid of Bloodscalp and got the boots. I then left, the assassin didnt follow me.

6. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Yea, i did that too :)

But the thing is that whenever you return to the docks district he appears again and smacks you down :p
    I hope you saved the game before that ;)

7. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    Why not kill him? A stat-draining weapon (Kachiko's Wakizashi, Chaos, Shapechange:Mindflayer), Timestop and you'll never hear from him again.

8. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I think his name is Arkanis and I've never tried to beat him. He always goes after the PC and no matter what protections you've got on he'll always waste you in one hit.

What's so special about Renals boots anyway?

9. casey Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

They let you run really, really fast... away from the fight ;) and what about pro-magic weapons?

10. Shadow Steele

SPOILER

I wanted the boots for my third character, they are boots of speed after all.....

11. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

IIRC, Arkanis' sword also adds a huge amount of elemental damage, so protection from magic weapons isn't going to help. He's immune to just about everything so the only way to kill him is with the attribute drain trick, like Scythesong mentioned.

The real question is: why kill him? He's there to prevent you from breaking your own game. If you attack the shadow thieves after siding with them in chapter 2, you have no way of getting to Bynnlaw. Just side with Bohdi instead if you want the boots from Renal.

12. casey Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Camdawg: Well if your the evil type of character who want's to lay low be meticulous and not draw attention, while gaining all the profit that they can they may side with the Shadow thieves to destroy Bodhi's Guild then betray them at the last possible moment. It's Amn the city of coin after all I'm sure there would be other possible way's of finding Spellhold if you talk to the right people and have enough money which is in no short supply.

13. Rastor Gems: 30/31

How are you going to get close enough to use the stat-drain trick? His sword does a minimum of 4k damage per hit.

14. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31

Media:
    It's important for a Timestop to be cast completely at the moment he shows up for someone with a character with an attribute-draining weapon to do the work. (Creatures held, by timestop or similar means, are penalized their Dexterity bonus to AC. It also prevents him from killing everyone.) This is best done with a Timestop Trap or serious timing.
    The enchanted short sword from Watcher's Keep will also hold him fast if you're lucky enough.
    BTW, Rastor this technique also works on Dragons...
    I hope your Improved Firk isn't vulnerable to this. ;)

@CamDawg
    It's not that CamDawg, but I killed him after the final attack on Bodhi. Since he got killed there it wouldn't be rational if he appeared when you tried to get Renal's boots. He did appear one time though, and now I remember it's probably because of the Brynnlaw-loop bug.

[ January 01, 2004, 10:48: Message edited by: Scythesong Immortal ]

15. CamDawg

I've never tangled with Arkanis since I've never seen the point. I do know that his immunities make him vulnerable only to the stat drain trick--actually pulling it off is someone else's problem. :) The question remains: why?

For both Casey and Scythesong, if you destroy Bohdi and then betray the shadow thieves, how are you planning to get to Bynnlaw? The game only allows transport to Bynnlaw via Linvail or Bohdi. If you mean Arkanis is showing up in chapter 6, then the game is just being dumb. I've killed Renal in chapter 6 after working for the shadow thieves and have not been attacked by Arkanis--this may have been a fix from a mod, though.

16. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31

Media:
    CamDawg, please take a better look at the second paragraph of my previous post.

There's a Baldurdash fix, IIRC, but the Brynnlaw loop can be avoided altogether by killing the vampires you first meet in Bryynnlaw before Sime reaches her position.

IIRC, killing Renal will not upset Linvail at all.

17. CamDawg

^^
    I mean that Arkanis shouldn't show up in Aran's guild hall in chapter 6 at all, since it is no longer game-breaking to kill Aran. Whether Arkanis dies in Bohdi's lair should be irrelevant.

18. Rastor Gems: 30/31

Actually, Scythe, I didn't make the Improved Firk immune to timestop since it caused some bugs and could create compatibility problems with other mods. It won't pose much trouble though, since he won't be affected by the traps and the instant you start to cast any spell, he'll throw you off kilter.

The only stat-draining weapons in the game (barring mods) are Haer'Dalis's sword and Kachiko's Wakisaki (both of which you need a bard or a fighter/mage to use for this trick), so I truly fail to see the point. You won't be able to get your chaos to work on him (which doesn't actually drain stats).

If you kill Arkanis, he'll drop the Killsword, which kind of screws up the whole game.

There's enough boots of speed in the game for every member of your party to have one and still have a pair left over to spare, so why bother going after Renal's? If you really want his pair, side with Bodhi.

He does show up in Chapter 6. It's a bug and I've already got an alpha fix for that.

19. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31

Media:
    You forgot the Shapechange:Mindflayer's normal attack which drains 5 int per hit. ;)
    It's not available early on, but when you come back it's there. If you want to get the boots early you could also rely on a "wish to be anything I want" from "Limited Wish".

A timestop trap simply helps to ensure that the potential victim is caught visible (or semi-visible), and without protection from magic weapons since the drain pierces Stoneskin.
    I must admit it really doesn't matter if you look at things from a patient, general perspective, but let's just say I don't really have the patience of a saint to go around SoA with only one, then two boots of speed. :D

When the killsword is dropped it won't matter since it can't be picked up. I think it was the developer's way of assuring that the weapon doesn't fall into the wrong hands should Arkanis be killed.

As for siding with Bodhi, I almost always play Chaotic Neutral and I always think siding with the Shadow Thieves is the better option. Bodhi's ways may not be as obvious as Mel's, but the suspicion is there.

20. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

BTW Rastor, Chaos refers to one of Haer's swords, not the spell.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.