1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

BoM Light Style

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, May 3, 2011.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] By popular demand (well, there was Barmy...), we now have a light(er) skin for the boards. You can select BoM Light from the dropdown menu in the bottom left corner of every page of the boards. You can freely switch between the two skins and use whichever one works best for you.

The original BoM skin will remain the default for now unless changed.

Jokes aside, a light skin is something which has been requested quite often but I never got around to implementing, but better late than never!

As this is the first public version of the skin it's likely that I've missed something that will need to be readjusted or you'll find something that bothers you, so please use the skin for a while and let me know if anything is out of place, any colours that are problematic, etc. Overall, I hope you'll like it.

I'll also have a fixed width version of this new one and the default skin available soon.

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Ok, the fixed width styles for both light and dark skins are available now as well.

3. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yuck. I think I'll stick with dark. :)

4. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Definitely sticking with dark.

5. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I don't mind it at all, it's different. I'm not one for all dark and dingy stuff! Plus it's a more safe for work, being a bit more inconspicuous and that.

Thanks Tal.

One thing - white would probably rather be better. White and blue goes well. Maybe change the red Sorcerer's Place header to blue as well, as it sticks out like a bulldogs bollocks on a white background.

6. Taluntain

Media:
    You're welcome.

The problem with white is that it's very hard on the eyes unless it's shaded a bit... I didn't use white with this one on purpose to make it as easy on the eyes as our dark one is. I'll experiment a bit and see if there's a shade of white that'd be usable though.

7. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    I like the lighter coloring, easier on my eyes. I do agree the background color could use a bit of tweaking, this shade of green doesn't quite jive with the blue. either that, or my monitor is way messed up... :lol:

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I'm going to try the light one for a bit. It's a big change, and my original thought was "no way - I'm sticking with dark", but I cannot help but think that maybe I'm just used to the dark coloring after all this time.

9. Taluntain

Media:
    Green? Err... the background is mustardy-sandy-beige-something... :shake:

Change is hard after you've been using a style for years and most people's first instinct is to not give an alternative style a chance... but I think that most of this is due to what you get used to. If I set the light style as default and tried to change it to dark after 5 years I'm sure there'd be an outcry.

It's a good idea to think of the introduction of an alternative style like this as coming to a different site - there you don't expect to get the same kind of style as on some other site and that doesn't bother you. That way you can easily use it for a while and see if you like it better than the old one. If you just go by the first reaction, you'll never change it unless you've been yearning for a light skin all these years.

Btw, I've enabled the "Default Style" in the selection. It would need some editing to get it to work properly as it's got some issues currently so for now I'm only enabling it to get some feedback on it. Colour-wise it's very neutral.

10. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Tried the Light. First thought to pop into my head was "Split Pea Soup". Yuck! Sticking with the darkside.

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Damn it. I wish no one brought that up. I agree with you Tal - I would have called in beige, but now that Stefanina brings it up, there is a green tint to it ... Now I don't know if I like it either...

12. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The dark parts of the light style are definitely green.

13. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    There's a lot of potential for monitor-based variation. You can make a white page greenish by customizing your monitor settings, and I believe that some monitors may already be predisposed to this or that spectrum natively, not to mention the possible effects of connecting via an old VGA adapter and that sort of thing. (My flatscreens at home and at work display colors slightly differently, for example.)

Bottom line is that just because you see green does not mean that it is green everywhere. I don't see any green at all. :)

14. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

It just means if you see something different from me, that you must be wrong.

15. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The "Light" is a putrid greenish-brown diarrhea like color on both my work laptop and my home desktop which has a nice widescreen. Odd choice by the way Tal. Better than pink I guess, but odd.

16. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    It's kind of growing on me, personally. Very calming ... :cool:

17. Blades of Vanatar

Oh no, Gaear, comeback to the darkside...

18. Taluntain

Media:
    For the record, anyone who sees any green in the light style has monitor colour/contrast/hue/saturation settings off. There's no green in that skin. Unfortunately it's very common that people's monitor colour settings are off so they get used to seeing their own versions of colours which are not in fact the actual, correct colours. Almost every monitor also has its own version of "magic" mode for enhancing colours or producing various varying effects of cool, dark, vibrant, etc. so what people wind up with in the end is anybody's guess. I've seen dozens of people's colour settings over the years and very few of them had anything resembling proper colour choices.

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  19. Blades of Vanatar

Methinks me hit a nerve! Just kidding around your mighyship...

Seriously, as I am a PC noob, how do I chagne it to "on"? I did not see it in the display tab in Control Panel.

20. Taluntain

Media:
    I added more to my post after your quoted me.

I meant "off" as in wrong, not turned off.

The problem with correct colour settings is that they depend on a number of factors... monitor, monitor colour calibration, graphics card, settings, etc.

If you've got a Nvidia card, you can run the Display Optimization Wizard from the Nvidia Control Panel - that's probably the easiest way to get you in the generally correct direction. But before that you should fiddle with the monitor controls and turn off any "Magic" or special colour settings that are turned on currently, because just one such setting enabled can completely mess up the colour representation.

Everything should be set to "default" or "normal". Unfortunately, even with that, you could still have one or more settings misconfiguration which could skew the colour representation. It's this level of possible complications that accounts for so many misconfigured monitors.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.