1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Bob Dylan!

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Dragon's Jewel, May 3, 2006.

1. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

We just went... tonight.. a few hours ago... To the Bob Dylan Show! Featuring... Bob Dylan!
    Live!

When I'm not completely exhausted I'll give a little review of what Bob at 60 sounds like, but before then, how about a little game?
    Who can guess...
    How much the tickets went for? What Bob Dylan sounds like? Did he sing any of his old (and good) pieces, or did he insist on only doing his newer stuff? How many people tried to take pictures of him with their cell phones, thus annoying those of us who actually attempted to follow the rules? Did I eventually kill the couple that sat behind us, having an extremely loud conversation with each other while I'm trying to listen to freaking Bob Dylan sing, would you people shut up?!
    I'll tell you the answers to these questions and many more, tomorrow!

2. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    did you know Bob is starting a one-hour weekly program on XM satellite radio, too? He's going to have complete creative freedom!

3. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The only thing i know is that Robert Zimmerman will turn 65 at the 24th of this month... :o

4. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Dylan is a genius. Even "Chronicles" is a great read.

5. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Okay!
    It was tuesday night at the local private college. One night only, Bob Dylan!
    It took me a long time to like Dylan, but my husband adores him-OLD Dylan, mind you. His newer stuff we're lukewarm about, but we both agreed that it was worth it to be able to say that we'd seen Dylan in concert.
    And the tickets were $40, which I think was pretty good.
    We ended up sitting on some bleachers surrounded-CRUSHED-by close to some 5,000 other people shrieking and shouting for Bob Dylan. He finally appeared at around 8:30. He started off with mostly his newer stuff, but about half way through the show he played 'Just Like A Woman', which is not our favourite older song, but still! He ended the show and then did one encore where he sang 'Like A Rolling Stone' and "All Along The Watchtower' and that was COOL.
    Here's the problem. Bob Dylan no longer sounds like Bob Dylan. He sounds like a Tom Waits impersonator doing Bob Dylan covers (translation: his voice has become very growly and gravely). So it's almost heartbreaking to hear him sing 'Like A Rolling Stone' when his voice sounds like it's almost gone. And the people who sat behind us were incredibly rude, holding long conversations in the middle of his sets.
    And you know, he seems to be weird about crowds. He didn't stand front and center, but stayed back in the middle of his band, and he never talked in the middle of any of his songs.
    But still! Bob Dylan!

On a side note, the song "The Times They Are A-Changin'" makes me want to stand outside in the pouring rain, shaking my fist in the air and screaming "We'll shake your windows and rattle your walls, for the times they are a-changing!"

6. The Gatekeeper Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

heh :) , I am a dylan fan as well and you have to understand that he has a great passion for music and he even wants to appeal to a younger crowd (but not for money like most people). But you have to remember after singing for 50 years you dont sound so good, look at ANY singer and even some guitarists you will see the rust on their faces. It is a totally normal thing and it shouldn't disgust you. Look at robert plant from Led-Zeppelin, he has taken quite a toll on his voice but does he care? hell no! And page he rarely releases any music anymore (he does movie tracks still). I just think you are damn lucky to have seen Dylan in concert under any conditions!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.