1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Blade: Trinity

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Aldazar, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Anyone seen it yet? Is it actually out anywhere yet? I've read some really bad reviews of it and was just wondering if anyone's seen it and can tell me whether it's worth seeing or not.

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

For a film like Blade Trinity, there is not much point reading reviews because this is never going to get a good review. The first two will also have received lukewarm reviews. Go and see it if you liked the previous two.

3. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    It'll be out here in February,, and I might go see it if I have a chance; I expect it to be as "fun and gory" (to quuote one of my characters who goes to see it) as the first two.

4. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Good movies never get good reveiws...

And although it is tough to make a sequel of a sequel good, I'm going to see this one, might as well.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I beg to differ. Good movies almost always get good reviews. Three of the most popular movies amongst SPers are The Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Last Samurai, and Gladiator. All of these movies received excellent reviews from critics just prior to their releases.

6. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    What if you only liked one of the previous two? ;)

7. Harbourboy

OK, to rephrase - go and see it if you liked Blade II. I was put off Blade II but that ridiculous promo poster which had Wesley Snipes in a ridiculous pose that looked like he was trying to scratch an itch on this right arm with the tip of his sword.

8. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Well, i just saw it. It's nothing like the other two. I loved the other two movies, i even got my girlfriend hooked. Now, it seems like all the good grittyness of the original has become something almost akin to slapstick. This was funny, but come on... Aside from that, i really didnt like the actors\acting in this one. Its impossible to take any of it seriously when the leading antagonist snarls constantly throughout the movie to show us that she is, indeed, wearing fangs... it looks liks she's constantly trying to pick popcorn kernals out of her gums with her tongue... but that's my 2 cents on it.

9. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

It is certainly no where near as good as the first film but I would say that it is about at the level of the second film. Or in other words, it is a fairly standard action type movie.

The plot is solely there to string action sequences together and really doesn't hold up if you actually bother to think about it. As Celesialraven pointed out, the film doesn't really take itself or its predecessors seriously.

It is a popcorn movie. There is nothing really special about it but if you like action movies and have some spare time then go ahead and see it - just don't walk into the theatre with high expectations.

10. Newfie Banned

I would have to say this is a pretty good action flick and was worth the money you pay for. There were times in this movie that my heart started beating faster in the action sequences. My only problem is if vampires are such a threat, why does it only take one kick or punch to send them smoldering into ash? That wouldn't scare me.

11. Arahar

Arahar Hmm, it's a dwarf. Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Trinity kinda sucked in my book. The fights weren't what I was hoping for but it does have a few redeeming factors.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2012
  12. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well for one thing - the first movie in a series is almost always better than the sequels. It's kind of a rule. You can't help but compare sequels to the original, and the criticism gets more brutal with each iteration.

The question you have to ask is - if this were the first movie in a series, would I like it? Because when you take "It's not as good as the original" out of the equation, you have no choice but to judge the film purely on it's own merits. Any Ewok will tell you that one. :tie: ;)

I'll be keeping that in mind when I go see it tonight. I personally loved both the first and second films equally. And for this one, my expectations are decidedly low. I haven't read a single glowing review for the movie, but then neither did I for the first two either. Movie critics are idiots who don't want to be caught dead giving a good review to a popcorn movie and eviscerate it just in case it's bad to cover their asses (and reputations).

Why you shouldn't listen to critics in a nutshell.

13. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

After I read that Wesley Snipes had done no publicity for the film whatsoever my hopes dropped. I suppose I'll go see it if I get the chance but I won't go out of my way to watch it.

14. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Saw it friday night. It was much better than I expected. It was about par with the second one, but like the second, not quite as good as the first. But like I said - virtually all sequals suffer that fate.

If you like the Blade movies and aren't too much of a dorky purist to just sit back and enjoy the movie, it's easily worth the price of admission. It definitely follows in the tradition, look and feel of the first two. Quick breakdown:

Warning: MINOR spoilers below
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -

Snipes (Blade): Didn't kick quite as much ass as in the last two, but I guess some room had to be made for the two new characters. Still great, as always. One thing I didn't get - why was he wearing long-sleeved shirts the entire movie? Is Wesley not buff anymore or what?

Biel (Abigail Whistler): ...droooooool... yes, she was incredibly tasty, naturally. Her acting was doable and her fighting was better than average. Her obsession with iTunes that was written into the script for her was a little lame. Shameless product placement, but that's to be expected these days.

Reynolds (Hannibal King): Great as an action star, but his wisecracking got a little old. Don't get me wrong - his jokes were funny as hell. (Blade: "So how exactly do you fund this little operation?" King: "I date alot of older men.") But they were so prevelant that they kind of killed the mood of a scene or two.

Parker Posey (Danica Talos): They certainly could've picked someone better to play her. I LOVE Parker Posey, but this really isn't her type of role. She did alright, but could've been far less obnoxious (apparantly, you have to snarl constantly, otherwise the audience doesn't pick up on the fact that you're a vampire...who knew?). I would have cast Bridget Moynahan (I, Robot) for this role in a second - and who knows, they very well may have offered it to her.

Christopherson (Whistler): I thought they handled his death very well. It seems fitting to have him die not just in combat, but sacrificing himself to protect blade and the operation. It's better that death by mere combat alone.

One last, minor kvetch ...

In the first two movies, the vampires could retract their fangs so they could speak normally. In this one, fangs were permenant. Even when one was sitting and typing at a computer...fangs. It wouldn't have bothered my if this had been the case in the first two. But consistency - especially in a series - needs to count for something. This was never really explained, and I found it a little lame.

Bottom line - if you are a fan of the Blade series, go see this one. You won't be disappointed as long as you don't go in with sky-high expectations (it is a sequal, after all). If you do and don't like it, it's your own fault. And don't listen to the critics - they hated the first two as well. And critics these days are such whores that if it's not a possible oscar contender, they won't give any movie a chance.

15. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Finally saw this last Thursday and while it was certainly enjoyable, it had some major faults, most of which have been mentioned. Mainly though, I agree that Parker Posey didn't really fit the role properly, they should have given Callum Rennie a bigger part and they REALLY should have given Triple H a lot more acting classes before even dreaming of putting him in a film.

That said, it was cretainly an enjoyable ride for what it was.

16. Shalladeth Is it ignorance or apathy? I don't know and I don'

I definitely want to check this out when it comes out on DVD. I've actually got high hopes for this, even though I have a tough time imagining Ryan Reynolds as a tough guy vampire slayer...I think the last movie I saw him in was Van Wilder.
    "Abilgail...wow...you know what would look really good on you? That would be me, sweetcheeks! Whoa...ease up there Abe...only joking...say...who does your tailoring? I know this great gal named Sook Mi...."

17. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I liked Underworld better. Not really a big fan of Blade.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.