1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Blade; dual-wield vs two handed weapons

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Voy, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Voy Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

How much worse would be a Blade using two handed weapons in BGT ?
    Thinking about creating character like that but I wonder if that would limit him too much since Blades can put *** in dual wield. Opinions?

2. Bsisi Gems: 5/31

Maybe I miss something, but I think he would rock.
    You can use my weapon database to do some estimations. With sketchy settings that I entered, I got 85.971 Dmg/round with Staff of the Ram and 86.112 with Angurvadal+Spectral Brand. You can get a bit higher with FoA and/or Club of Detonation.

I assumed that Blades can get 2 points in 2H weapons and that you have STR of 22 w/out having to use Angurvadal because I had no idea what STR to settle on. And there are many great staffs all the way through the game.

You get Staff +1 very early. You can buy Staff +3 as soon as you have the money.
    Staff of Striking in the most damaging weapon in BG1.
    In BG2 part, you can buy a Staff +4 as soon as you can afford it - and it's quite cheap.
    You can buy the great Staff of Striking just as soon and another shortly after. Still in Act 2 you may be able to get Staff of the Ram +4. Staff of the Ram +6 takes some time, but it's just great.

3. Voy Gems: 5/31

I'm not sure whether they can put more than * in anything else than two weapon style, but it shouldn't matter because according to description first point gives +1dmg +1 to critical and -2 to speed, 2nd gives only another -2 to speed (at least according to in game description)

But this dmg output looks promising- you have a link to some calculator?
    well anyways it is not that important to do into details; more or less I'd want to know if he would suck or no :p

4. Bsisi Gems: 5/31

Interesting. I have 2 BG2 versions, Polish and English. The English one says what you said, but the Polish one says that it's the second star that gives you more critical hits.
    That's important!

Would be nice if sb. tested it.

5. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

In the BG1 part 2-handed will be better since you can use bows while in BG2 dualwielding will be more effective because of the extra attacks you get with the scarlet ninja-to and kundane.

I'd start with long bow and 2-handed sword proficiency, add 2-handed weapon style at level 4 and staff proficiency at level 8.
    In BG2 you'll get 7 additional weapon proficiencies until level 36, enough to cover everything, whether you want to stay 2-handed (staves, carsomyr, short bows) or switch to dualwielding.

6. Voy Gems: 5/31

can someone clear that up ?

I have both English and Polish one too :cool:
    Voice acting is quite good in Polish version tbh I think i even prefer Polish Minsc and Sarevok over the original :D But original Irenicus beats the all tbh

7. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I'm pretty sure the English description is the right one. If I recall correctly from some playthroughs thru BGTutu, the first star in two handed weapons already gave my characters criticals on 19.

8. Voy Gems: 5/31

hmm perhaps then 2nd point in two handed weapons is a waste for any character? It only grants -2 to speed :/

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Blades who use two handed weapons do just fine. I've never made one myself, but I have converted Haer Dalis' to a two handed weapon. I remember that he did very well with the Impaler, later graduating to Ixil's Spike. The less obvious advantage of two handed weapons is their range. I like having a bard in the second row of my party, but when equipped with a two-handed weapon, he can "reach" to the front combat lines just fine. You can't do that with a scimitar.

Given that I was able to convert HD into a two handed wielder, I can't imagine it would be hard to turn a PC blade in that direction. Heck HD already has spent a bunch of his proficiency points, and even with him there was adequate points left.

The quarterstaff is probably your best bet early in the game. If you don't feel like journeying into Watcher's Keep early in the game (I know I don't), the adventurer's mart sell the Staff of Rynn (+4). That would be my weapon of choice early on.

10. Voy Gems: 5/31

well im starting in BG1 so it's gonna be some time until i reach those nice bg2 weapons :( I started out with bastard swords - since well I never used them(with a patch you can use them either with a single or with two hands)

I will probably put 1 star in every weapon 2handed by the time I reach ToB so I'll have versatility in that matter :D

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Even in BG1 you are fine - well, provided you have TotSC installed. There are plenty of nice quarterstaves in BG1. You can get a generic +1 variety from Silke in Beregost, and Ulgoth's Beard has a purchasable +3 version - in fact it's the only purchasable +3 weapon in the game. (Called a "Martial Staff", but it's just a plain old +3 quarterstaff.) Not sure on the price, but it's probably under 10,000 gp with a decent reputation, and would be an early choice for me to spend my money.

12. Voy Gems: 5/31

ye I'm playing BGT so everything is included :)
    also i play core-rules so I guess inventory doesn't really matter much on this difficulty level :p

I'm going for thwohanded weapons then

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.