1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Black Isle

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by herf, Jul 14, 2001.

1. herf Guest

its my belief that black isle thought this game was gonna be a flop right from the start so they didnt even try to make it better.
    they released it two months before it was meant to be released which gave the shops or the marketers no time to advertise it.
    they had no right releasing ti early, there is a massive slowdown bug in every version of the game, there is only 3 classes which should be changeable right from the character generation menu. they wrote the codes etc for a hell of a lot of spells which they just didnt implement for no reason at all.
    and the ending has gave absolutely no feasible headway (in black isles opinion) for a sequel.

maybe if the game had been tweaked and made better by addind a druid class and making more spells, more quests, a chance to get out of sigil after you come back from curst, some beter options for the evil good characters becasure there is very little difference between the two, maybe if they had gave the marketers a chance to market it, hell if they had of took a minute and sat down and thought about it, maybe then the game would have sold better.

2. Jander Sunstar Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I agree, while I heard the advertisements of the BG series, IWD and even the Fallout series way before they emerged in the market I noticed PS: Torment a month after it took its humble place in the stores. I think the producers thought that Torment would not be as successful as those other ones and I can feel that they did not give it the respect it deserves. Too many bugs even a patch couldn't fix, no sequel, and limited class restrictions are only but a few of the problems. If given the proper attention this game had the potential to become the best RPG game ever.
    One more thing about Black Isle, they keep ignoring Ravenloft and Dragonlance, what a shame. Maybe, since White Wolf has bought the rights of Ravenloft we can expect a Ravenloft game from the guys who did Vampire the Masquerade who knows!

[This message has been edited by Jander Sunstar (edited July 14, 2001).]

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Now that's just bull, really.

Of all the Infinity Engine games, Torment had the least bugs of all, for one thing. Actually, the only serious one is the slowdown bug, and the patch fixes it completely.

As for not implementing everything; hate to break it to you, but it happens with every game. All game designers start with a big bunch of things they want to have in the game, but eventually some things must get cut out; either for game balance or because it would delay the release of the game too much. Torment is no exception here. For instance, there's a whole bunch of things that didn't see the light of day till ToB came out, but they are already in the engine of the original BG2.

Next, they never meant to do a sequel for Torment from the start. They've always said that if they ever did it, it would be a "spiritual sequel", same as with Icewind Dale.

As for the druid... A druid in Sigil? True, you can have practically anything in Planescape, but I just can't imagine the Nameless One as a druid. True, he has many histories, but I really can't see how a druid could have been one of them.

Now one thing I DO agree with (hehe), is that the marketing was lousy. That's an undeniable fact. But sadly, none the people who actually worked on the game had anything to do with it. Blame it on Interplay, they sell & market the games.

Oh and Jander Sunstar, after a Planescape game which was named Game of the Year by practically every single magazine and editor and still sold less than one tenth of the copies BG did, you think Interplay is going to risk it by going to Ravenloft? Not in this lifetime. Dragonlance, maybe, but definitely nothing less widely known than that.

All in all, Torment's problem was nothing but
    a) bad (little) marketing
    b) people's unwillingness to try anything that falls short of the fantasy stereotypes

Which I suppose, also sums up the whole Planescape world nicely. The same reasons WOTC dropped the world. Because you can't make a big profit from the small base of very loyal fans, you need to have a huge base of fans who don't give a f*** about it, but play it nontheless.

Oh yeah, award list: http://www.planescape-torment.com/awards.html

Just in case you haven't seen it before.

4. Jander Sunstar Gems: 2/31

Well, I am certainly more enlightened now, as for the patch I did not download it that's my mistake. Thanks for the info (I'm sincere)...
    You are right about Ravenloft, there are not too many fans maybe but the whole rpg business gained a huge popularity with the Dragonlance Chronicles and I think it should be given a try...(just my personal wish that's all)

5. :eek:

Wow, Tal, you really love that game, don't you??

Well, its my best ever game of all time as well.

6. Kitiara Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

well i must add.. i just bought this game, and the first thing i noticed is the lack of choice in sex for the main character. I relize alot of the game is done with the bad guys being female, however i really believe in marketing that this game was made mostly for men. This cuts out a lot of interest for female rpger's.
    Think about it as a man, how often do you choose to roleplay a female character??

7. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Quite often actually.

8. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

9. Rogue16 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Kit, once you get further in the game, you'll see it just wouldn't have been possible to make a female nameless one.
    'sides that don't mean that guys'll have more fun playing it.
    oh, and both my brothers and my dad plays RPG's too and they've been playing as females.

10. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Well, I just got PST not too long ago and just checked it out. I can tell its way more involved than the other titles. I do remember though when I first got a hold of BG1, 1999 I guess, when I first got a computer (I know, I'm ahead of the times). Anyway, I remember the PST trailer that came on BG1 and I thought it was awesome. Great music, cool visuals. It made me want the game. I don't play so much all in all, and in the end I bought a used copy of the game which doesn't help Interplay or BI. I look forward to exploring more of the game. It does vary a great deal in terms if stock fantasy stuff, which I think BI has down pat. I have never had an interest in any other titles like "Revenant" or Diablo. I used to play D&D so I suppose I'm attatched, but those other games don't seem as authentic if you know what I mean.

11. Slackertoast Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Kitiara, leave gender thing out of this. Bottom line is nobody knew about the game so nobody bought it. If any game had the most potential for sequels or expansions or off shoots or anything, it was this game. How many story lines could have branched off from this game in the future or from the past? The other mistake they made was not making it a series. Everyone loves a trilogy.This game wasn't made as one.So it was dead before it started.Damn I'm getting all upset thinking about.

12. Beto Gems: 2/31

Sorry, can't buy into the notion that no one knew about the game. It was the ads in Computer Gaming World and Computer Gamer that made me want to play it. Just wish I hadn't waited so long to do it (just finished) :D

13. Mikka Gems: 1/31

*rolls eyes*

I learned how to play D&D when I was 7 years old, and I have been playing it ever since. Since then, I've had a ton of characters, both male and female- and I love them both the same.

*THAT*'s the problem with the game. Too many people want to play their little female-elven-ranger or what have you. This story *ISN'T* like BG1/2, Icewind Dale, Fallout, or anything. It's a story about The Nameless One, and that's simply it. Your given your persona, and you develop him as you see fit, but that doesn't change who he is.

And the thing about their being no difference between being good and evil, that's major bull. Different quests, different outcomes, different PC/NPC responces... I don't know, to me, this game developed being evil a lot better then the majority of the others out there. In fact, in most games, you don't even have the option to be evil!

Don't insult PS:T. *sniff*

14. Extremist Gems: 31/31

[​IMG] Hey, who made this lil' one cry? :mad:

Who broke the Sigil's first rule and insulted PT? :mad:

As Sigil's police member I strongly advise you to hide because I just unchained Mercykiller murderers after you! :mad:

Now, Mikka, don't you weep, we'll crush those before they say another blasphemy. ;)
    Let's go for a beer, that should make you feel better... ;)

15. Deimos Gems: 2/31

I agree that the marketing on PS:T was lousy- I only heard about it when I was reading an article that said:

"Created by the makers of Planescape:Torment"

Also, I agree that it is a lot more involved than BG or IWD- the storyline is great, you actually have to think about what you say to people or you're screwed!

Much better than the old "hack 'n' slash, damn I killed someone important, reload, hack'n'slash" format of stereotype RPGs :)

PS:T- best RPG ever even without a sequel!

16. LazurusLong Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] I have to agree PST is on of the best games ever made because of the depth that Black Isle made the interaction with NPC's have. Most games unless they are PnP dont give you more XP for figuring out the correct possible dialog option (that my not be there if you int and wis isnt high enough) than for killing or steeling the item nneed for quest completion. The only problem with the game was the slowdown bug and the no sequel. This is, was and forever will be one of the best games made. If only there were more people out there that were familure with the setting then IMO it would have sold in number like BG and BG2. How can one expect others to be familure with the setting when there are only 5 novels for the setting and 3 of them are not even in print anymore. Also WoTC dosent put nearly the money into R and D for this setting as any of the others because it just dosent sell as well again because no one knows about it.

This game was what brought me back to RPG/CRPG and it seems a shame to me that something such as this wasn't as big of a seller as some of the other Black Isle titles.

[This message has been edited by LazurusLong (edited October 27, 2001).]

17. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Err... If you check the title of this post, you'll see the words Black Isle.

Planescape: Torment was created by Black Isle Studios, not Bioware.

18. Extremist Gems: 31/31

[​IMG] Yes Tal, but it is Bioware's engine :p :p ;)

Ok, seriously, it is gorgeous what Black Isle did with other's engine. People who never played PT don't know what are they missing. But who cares?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.