1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Black Isle Studios Shut Down

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Foradasthar, Dec 9, 2003.

1. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/fallout3/news_6085243.html

So. A rumour, quoted to be a reliable one, for what it's worth. Good thing there's still Bioware.

With titles like Lionheart and those Brotherhood of Steel games, I wouldn't exactly call BIS the best RPG maker around anymore anyway. But they still had potential enough to make me care whenever they announced a new game was in development.

It's a shame. Too few people understand the value of roleplaying games.

2. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

A sad end indeed, and probably the end of Interplay to in the near future. The crap they published lately....urgh.

First 3do and newworld computing and now BIS, wonder who's next.

3. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Yeah. Only a few years back Interplay was about the most reliable company there was. And now it's come to this.

4. casey Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

On the good side SoA has a strong mod community to help keep things interesting for a few years to come so RPG's aren't dead yet ;)

5. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Woe! Woe be to us!

*Falls to ground and sobs uncontrollably*

Another casulty to crappy console games...

6. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

7. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    NOOOOOOOO! Say it isn't so! No more Baldur's Gate games! As if we didn't already see that coming...

8. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

[​IMG] That is so sad. I have expected them to stand up again after the last failures, but it seems that they could not. It is bad to see such a company to fall. I hope that someone will be able to fill the gap, allthough i seriously doubt.

9. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    RPG's definitely won't die as a result of this. It's not like they invented them, despite their pioneering work on the BG series. But let's face it - Black Isle has lost their touch in the last few years. Maybe it was just their time to go. The beauty part is that all those talented game designers will have to go somewhere. It's not like an "Enron" thing where all the former members become blacklisted and can't find work. Their talent is well recognized within the industry and the scattered remains will either take up residence with a better company or start their own.

Either way, I think this is a good thing. Shedding of old skin. They were coasting on the good graces of Baldur's Gate for too long.

10. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Don’t forget, folks – Black Isle “only” developed Fallout, PS:T, IWD and BG: Dark Alliance.
    The Baldurs Gate series was developed by BioWare, as was NWN and SW:KOTOR, so there’s still other players in the CRPG game.

11. Sir Ai Rayzor Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

@ Splunge

Like that wasn't more than enough (sorry for the attitude in this comment, but I think its a shame that they have to shut it down)

12. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @ Sir
    I guess my comment didn't come across as I had intended. I put quotes aroud "only" to imply that it isn't really "only" - those were significant games. My point was that there is another developer of quality CRPG's besides Black Isle.

One of these days I'll figure out that irony doesn't always come across in a forum. :D

13. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  14. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Well, from the viewpoint of a business leader, it is a rather sensible choise if they truly intend to concentrate only on consoles. On the other hand, as a PC-player, this is a disappointment. :(

15. Sir Ai Rayzor Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

@ Splunge

I did not misunderstand your comment.
    In my opinion BIS were producing games of such incomparable quality, that shutting them down would be like to shoot yourself by accident.

As stated in many posts, the shutdown of BIS will mean that there will never be a Planescape: Torment 2 (if they'd find a way to make one), another Icewind Dale game, and last but not least The new Fallout 3.

Hope I didn't sound too harsh ;)

[ December 10, 2003, 11:09: Message edited by: Sir Ai Rayzor ]

16. Ahrontil Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Can we blame some anonymous no-neck accountant yet?

[ December 10, 2003, 01:54: Message edited by: Bluin ]

17. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

I fear that the future of PC games will be dominated by FPS's. Evidence the role-playing aspects of "Call of Duty" and the character leveling parts of "America's Army". It will only get worse in the coming year, as there are significant parts of UT2004, Doom3 and HL2 that utilize traditional role-playing elements.

I am unaware of any forthcoming project from Bioware that rivals any of these. Unfortunately, unless a developed game can show potential in the console industry, it is no longer cost effective to create. Fantasy RPG's have always been further from the top in the console business, swamped by the action shooters and sports games. Perhaps we may soon have to drag out our bag of die!

18. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  19. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

The more I think about Black Isle shutting down the less I get of Interplay. According to Sir Ai Rayzor's link they were almost 50% ready with the game and even had a demo ready. Fallout III which was anticipated by many people got canned in favor of Fallout:Bos and even worse Fallout:Bos II. The latter two games which got hammered in the ground so far it would probably burned up now in the earth's core got chosen only for the mere fact that a game which features ladies in thongs with miniguns in their hands appeals to 12 year old boys, who are considered the market for such console games.

What I find really remarkable is the decision to make a sequal to a game which hasn't been published yet and as said before was highly critisized.

I don't know if I'm seeing things flying but could this be a very clear sign of the extinction (signs like uncomplete games which has been a sport as of late, and companies shutting down) of PC games/rpg's or is Interplay that stupid.

Don't get me wrong I like the occasional console game, but let's face it, they are designed for children. Race and sport games which are the most popular console games will never even come close to reality, It takes a real clutch in your hand and a real gas pedal beneath your feet to get the reality of racing. It takes the smell of grass and the feel of a soccer ball to make it soccer. RPG's however give you the chance to explore entirely new games.

I guess I rambled on for some time now but to me the future looks grim indeed when games like fallout III and Baldur's gate III get canned in favour for FBOS I and II.

20. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] I can't believe this.
    I'll check it out these days, but it is too hard for my heart to see right now. Geez...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.