1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Biff the Understudy?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Silverstar, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Hey there. I just read this at a site about Baldur's Gate game, and I have never heard about this before. See:

Biff the Understudy
    Human, Fighter, No Alignment
    Many conversations in Baldur's Gate require the participation of a certain NPC, and if such an NPC is accidentally killed, the game summons up Biff the Understudy to say the required lines. Biff can actually join the party in some instances, though his statistics are poor. He also has a brief cameo in Baldur's Gate II (this time as a literal understudy for Haer'Dalis).

I know him in BG2, ofcourse, but have never seen him in BG, saying the lines of an accidentally killed NPC. Is this true, and how this is possible? It is really breaking the wall, but also rather humorous. That is, if this is true.

2. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] If you have paired NPCs, for example Jaheira and Khalid and one dies in the party and you kick the second out. Biff will be summoned as the 'companion' NPC to prevent errors in dialogues and joining.

So if Jaheira dies... you kick out Khalid...

Next time you see Khalid he'll have Biff for a wife! :)

He's a debug character essentially.

Silverstar likes this.
  3. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Oooh, great, this is suprising! I have to see this!

Err, does this also work on (easy) TuTu games? I do not have a BG1 installation to try it out right now!

4. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I've not played EasyTuTu, I couldn't get it to install so kept to my standard TuTu installation I knew worked :lol:

Haven't tried it in TuTU either :hmm: should work, in theory it's pulling files from BG anyway.

5. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

OK, thank you very much my friend, I wonder if all the people here knew this little funny fact and I was the only ignorant one... :p

6. The_Curt_Jester Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I've read any number of threads about this but I've never checked it out myself. I'll have to try it next game.

7. Kullervo Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I vaguely recall seeing Biff in BG1 when I semi-accidentally killed someone (the wizard?) in the thieves guild while doing the skyship component quest. His cameo in BG2 is even more hilarious, when you know his BG1 function.

8. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    You beat me to it :) That was the first time I saw Biff. I only completed the thieves' guild quest after killing the wizard, and since he's supposed to have an exchange with the head thief at this point Biff appeared out of nowhere to fill in for him. I didn't know this at the time, of course, so all I saw was Biff randomly appearing and having a completely nonsensical conversation with the other guy. It was pretty surreal (and very funny)

9. Kullervo Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

And this happened on my first run(s) through BG, so I thought "Who is this Biff guy?"

10. Cal Jones

Cal Jones I'm not dead yet

Yes I got the same thing. I had a three archer firing squad (Coran, Kivan and Imoen) and as soon as the mage chap went red, they nailed him. Biff popped up and I had a hearty chuckle. :D

11. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    The easy way to see Biff is to use the CLUAConsole to summon up paired characters like Jaheira, Khalid, Xzar, or Monty. That way, you'll get to play with him in your party too, and also the characters might go hostile if you kill their partners.

12. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

I remember killing someone accidentaly before the proper convo had taken place and he appeared, however there was a rare annoying bug which created multiple versions of him :nolike:

13. DCD Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

One tends to encounter Biff more if one is an evil character, since proper evil characters would be killing everyone, party NPCs included.

Easiest way legal way to bring him up is to go to the stage where Shoal the Nereid is, and kill her after Droth spawns.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.