1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

BGT: Avatars lag

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by occam, Sep 15, 2014.

1. occam Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

This is my first BG run with a lot of mods installed (I only had Fixpack+Trilogy+Tweakpack in my previous runs) and the avatars started to lag by the end of BG. After I started BG2, the situation, if anything, got worse.

I do not think this is a hardware problem: I have the same modded game installed on both my laptop and on my desktop. I use the desktop to farm monsters for xp by switching the frame rate to 60, which is something that I cannot do on my laptop.
    And now I am having the same problems on my desktop as well.

These are the mods that I have installed (in the order I am listing them):

1) Ascension
    2) Fixpack
    3) Trilogy
    4) Unfinished Business 1
    5) Unfinished Business 2
    6) Banter Packs
    7) IEP Extended Banters
    8) Tweakpack

What should I do?

---------- Added 3 hours, 23 minutes and 29 seconds later... ----------

And I have just created a test new character.
    Its avatar moves without any hitch. So it's a problem of *that* particular party. Really don't know what the hell is going on.

2. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Most likely leftover scripts/heartbeats from summons that are still unresolved.
    Happens after leaving summons behind in areas previously visited.

I had something similar. Game would get laggy later on to the point of stuttering.

Was told to try deleting temp folder and cache. Didn't really work for me, but a new game and keeping an eye on summons solved the problem.

3. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Funny, I've never needed to farm monsters in BG1. On the other hand, I make sure to explore absolutely every location, and am probably effectively grinding or farming when exploring the Firewine area with the Kobold Commandos (protection from normal missiles is a must, even if it doesn't help against the fire arrows it stops the rest), or the U-something tomb (I haven't played in couple years, I can't recall. It's the one with the ghost out on top that wants the record books). The anakeg area later in the game also spawns a lot of XP.

I'm always at the XP cap before I'm finished. I'm going to really have to try Trilogy out so I can carry more levels to SoA.
    Then again, I've never had a problem hitting the SoA XP cap inside SoA.

4. occam Gems: 2/31

Haven't updated this bc the avatars randomly stopped lagging once they got outta Irenicus' Dungeon.

I think I have two more bugs, though, which are possibly due to UB.

1) I recently noticed that Minsc has a STR of 19 (and not 18/93). I noticed this after I used his Girdle of Frost Giant Strenght to create Crom Faeyr and his STR decreased from 21 to 19 and not 18/93.
    2) Whenever my PC wields a Mace or a War Hammer, he gains an AC bonus of 2 for some weird reason.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  5. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

For farming I always pick up a potion of stone form or invulnerability, sometimes a potion of speed, and run through every ankheg on the map at level 2. Usually puts me at about level 6 or so.

6. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Yes I believe that is from unfinished business. Minsc gets 19 str after you complete a quest involving the loss of Boo.

As for the hammers do you have points in single weapon style and are you not wielding anything else at the time?

7. occam Gems: 2/31

I have two points both in single weapon style, maces and war hammers.
    However, I also have two points in axes, but I don't get the AC bonus when I wield an axe.

8. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Well the style is why you get the AC bonus then but you should get that with the axe as well unless....

Is the axe you are using a throwing axe? If it is and it is assigned to be thrown rather than melee it will not get the bonus to AC (or crit) because ranged weapons do not get any weapon style bonuses (sucks I know).

occam likes this.
  9. occam Gems: 2/31

The axe I use is Azuredge, which is a throwing axe, so story checks out. Thanks!

I'm so not complaining about the lack of bonus, btw. That axe one-shot three liches already :D

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.