1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

BGII: Throne of Bhaal Infobits

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by NewsPro, Mar 17, 2001.

1. NewsPro Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

(Originally posted by Darien)

Senior Designer Dave Gaider had a few thoughts to share about Throne of Bhaal on the Official BGII Boards.

On fan suggestions: We listen a lot, actually. BG2 had a great many ideas implemented in it which came straight from the fans. And we're always looking for input and feedback.

So it's not like there are topics that are not open to suggestions.

In the end, though, it's us who have to make the game and we have to rely on our judgement of what to include or not to include, what's do-able or not do-able as well as what works or what doesn't. We have to make decisions on these things. Some of them are hard but, unlike what some people would like to believe, they are not made capriciously.

We're adapting a game into a format it was not designed for. Obviously this is going to call for lots of the above decisions, and while we didn't get everything perfect (who could?) we got a damn sight closer than anyone else has in making a real D&D game. If we do it wrong, our accountability lies with those who license us the game (WotC) and those who buy it (you, the fans).

And we've always listened to our fans. We're listening right now. It chagrins me a bit, though, to find some people automatically trumpeting their assurances that we *don't* listen just because we've made a decision that someone doesn't like or because someone isn't satisfied with our explanations for those decisions.

We're here to get input...and we do (heaps), both negative and positive. And that's good...and probably more than many other developers get. We've never said 'be thankful that we're here' and nor would we...I and others at Bio enjoy coming here and find it useful.

But everyone has a different idea on what's needed, desired or wanted...that should be obvious with even a cursory glance at any part of this board...so pleasing everyone just isn't possible no matter how much we might want to...so don't fault us for making the decisions we have to or not looking at things (like the rules) the exact same way you do. You can applaud or complain about our decision if you like, and we'll listen and take it into account the next time the issue arises...but in the mean-time, we have a game that has to be made, as well.

Shoot, I hope that doesn't come across as babble. It's been a long day for me. :)

Weapon that adds proficiency points: That is certainly possible. Proficiency levels are scriptable.

Weapon that adds proficiency points if you already have some in that area: That is much more difficult to do without involving some character scripting. You'd have to make the weapons set some kind of "I have this weapon" global and then have the game script check for both the presence of the weapon and the pre-existence of the proper proficiency. Not easy, but not impossible.

You know what might be do-able with this? Have the weapon gift you with style proficiency as opposed to weapon proficiency. That way, if you were unskilled with the weapon it still wouldn't be very useable to you. But it could give you ability in, say, single-wielding or dual-wielding...and even go beyond that. With scripting, you could give someone a 'mastery' in a style that wouldn't ordinarily be possible.

It's something to mull over. Thanks for the input.

Class-based items: Items can be restricted to certain classes. Personally, if I was going to put a weapon of this sort in the game, I would put it towards classes that are normally deficient in melee. Bards, druids and thieves pop to mind.

Magic darts: You'll be able to find darts with a decent enchantment level through the expansion. Like I've said before, we've focused our efforts with items on areas that weren't very broad in BG2.

A dart that returns to the wielder? I dunno about that one. The only thing that makes darts different from daggers is the fact that they are an expendable missile weapon. There are already daggers that return to the wielder.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.