1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

BG2 NPC Names

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Steppenwolf, Apr 20, 2001.

1. Steppenwolf Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

In an earlier post, I wrote that the name Imoen comes from the Shakespeare play "Cymbeline," where there is a character by the name of Imogen.

Minsc probably comes from Minsk, the capital of Ukraine.

Aerie, appropriately enough, is a variant of eyrie, an eagle's nest, or the name of a young eagle.

Irenicus probably comes from St. Irenaeus, a famous Christian missionary to Gaul (now France).

Viconia De'Vir - De'Vir was the fifth house of Menzoberanzan, obliterated by Drizzt's family in the beginning of R.A. Salvatore's "Homeland."

Korgan Bloodaxe - ?
    Valygar Corthala - ?
    Keldorn Firecam - ?
    Anomen Delryn - ?
    Jaheira - ?
    Yoshimo - a common Japanese surname
    Mazzy Fentan - ?
    Nalia - ?
    Cernd - ?
    Haer'dalis - ?

[This message has been edited by Steppenwolf (edited April 20, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Steppenwolf (edited April 20, 2001).]

2. antoine Guest

kiev is the capital of the ukraine, minsk is the capital of white-russia(or whatever they call it in English)

Not that it has anything to do with the game but, ... whatever

3. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] well, its BG1 I'm talking about, but I believe "Branwen" is the name of a Welsh town.

4. IronEagle Gems: 13/31

well come on bg2 has lotsa stuff like that, the biggest one being the Umar Witch Project..

It just means the makers didnt wanna sit for hours and think of a ton of names

5. Nightal Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Jan Jansen - Having this name in the Netherlands is a cliché.

Quayle - Was a vice-president of the USA, if I remember right.

Khalid - Is a commen name in the Middle-East

Edwin - Is a commen name in the Netherlands.

Tiax - I think it is an Aztec name.

Eldoth (Kron)- Isn't that the name of a god (of tranquilety or something)

Xan - I red somewhere that 'Xan' was the name of one of the designers p&p Kensai (or something else)

[This message has been edited by Nightal (edited April 20, 2001).]

6. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

C'mon guys, what did you get in geography at high school??? Oh, right, you never chose it...

Minsk (former Mensk yet even older name is Menesk) is the capital city of BELARUS!

Minsk is almost 100 years older than Moscow, and it is a beautiful city, and I was born here, and I write this post from a house in MINSK!

I can understand you guys though, when I came to the US telling people I'm from Belarus I've been asked things like: "Is it in Australia?" or "Do you have traffic lights back home?", "Do you have VCRs" etc...

Sad. Really sad.

7. Grovflab Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] I think Minsc is from the cleric quintet by Calvatore. There is a man living in the wilderness, ie ranger, named Minsck or something. He dies rather quickly, and the character has nothing else in common with Minsc from BG. By the way, you meet Cadderly, the main protagonist from the cleric quintet, when you return to Candlekeep in BG1.

8. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Don't be so worried Modjahed.
    I live in Croatia and they don't know what continent is it on. But life gets going on...
    About the topic I think that most names are chosen randomly.

9. Steppenwolf Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Do they have hamster zoos in Minsk?

ha, ha just wondering...

10. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

ROTFLMAO, Steppenwolf!

No, the biggest zoo you find in Minsk is the Government :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.