1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

BG2 not compatable with Windows XP!?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Kovalis Darkfire, Feb 21, 2004.

1. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] I have had this problem for quite some time now. I've been trying all sorts of things to fix it, but so far, nothing has worked. I go into the game and everything seems to work fine. Then after about 2-5 minutes(about 25 the first time i play after installation[have done this about 4 times so i know])the game either crashes to desktop, freezes, or my computer restarts. It never fails! Its getting me really angry because I just want to play the damn game! Does anyone have any info that could help me out here?

2. eug1404 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

It has nothing todo with XP, probably a driver for something.
    I've played for hours straight on Xp Home/Pro.

3. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Yep, it has nothing to do with XP.
    I´ve had XP for a long time and have played BG2 for a longer time. Check to see if there are any newer drivers for your graphic card. Also check the BG Config program and make sure everything works. And if needed reinstall BG2 after installing the new drivers.

4. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Kovalis Darkfire, it may be a graphics problem. Either your graphics card or driver. Check whether you have proper DirectX.

5. Tronak el Karbaro Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Try changing resolution and desktop color to 16-bit only, I have played BG2 on both XP and Home edition with no trouble.

6. Death Whisper Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

had this problem myself.

i think it got something to do with your cache folder. go to the root bg2 folder and then to the cache and temp folders and clean them of any files. it should help.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.