1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

BG1-BG2 and IWD1-IWD2

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Obad-Hai, Jul 25, 2003.

1. Obad-Hai Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Ok I wanted to start a new character that I can bring all through the BG series as well as all the IWD series. I'm looking for someone nature orientated who has some spells and is able to fight well. I was thinking maybe druid/fighter or maybe a ranger. I want to solo through all of the games as well. Any suggestions?

2. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I'll only comment on BG1/BG2 here as IWD is a different game, so check that forum for more info, but the same character should work in both. Also, there are many other topics on solo characters which might give you some other insights.

Two very important things to keep in mind:
    1. Traps/Locks
    2. Mages

You will have a hard time through certain parts of the game without a thief - especially TOTSC. Priests do have the 'find traps' spell but no way of avoiding them. You could just send summons through them to set them off.

Enemy mages can be lethal, without magic they can be very hard to defeat. What with all their protection spells. Druid do have some very good anti-mage spells later on, but you'll need to check out the BG2 forum for more info.

Fighter/Druid is a fairly good combo. The spells of the druid with the armour of a fighter. If you are going through BG1/BG2 (like you say) then I would dual-class and avoid multi-classing, this is to get better access to the druid's high level spell. Check the BG2 forum for some recent articles on this!! I would dual-class at L7 in BG1, this will give you good hp's, average THAC0 and good proifiencies - it will also allow you to obtain L8/9 as a Druid if playing TOTSC.

Ranger is a good fighter and some weak spells in BG2. Overall though, I do think you need some sort of magic support - so I would avoid the standard ranger.

Ranger/Cleric - very powerful class and extremely versatile. The benefits of the Ranger, the spells of the Cleric plus all the spells of the Druid as well. An awesome arsenal of spells. Plus a decent selection of weapons like hammers and maces.

With the ranger or ranger/cleric, I would carry a suit of plate and a suit of leather so you could use stealth when needed.

Check out the BG2 forum for info on weapons.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.