1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

BG or IWD?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by DarthMuffin, Aug 16, 2002.

1. DarthMuffin Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

I have played a lot BG2, beating it with many different classes. I was thinking of buying BG1 or IWD. Wich one is the best?

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    BG1 if you like a more story-driven CRPG, IWD if you prefer a lot of hack 'n slash.

3. Shadowhunter Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] BUY BOTH! :mad: .

P.S.:

Asking questions such as this is like asking Which you like best, your left or right eye? So you can just pop one out in case you didn't like one :mad: . Or Does your head hurt? Severe it so it doesn't bother you anymore :mad: .

Oh and by the way Tal please always recomend every Baldur's game. All are worth it and you know it :mad: .

[ August 17, 2002, 18:46: Message edited by: Shadowhunter ]

4. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] That is only your oppinion let the man make his own choice :p . Many friends that I have say that IWD is much better then BG saga but I believe you were right about one thing though. He should by both games and see for himself. :thumb:

5. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Well not all of us are freaking millionares. Think before you post you two, we can't all buy every game under the sun.

6. Yerril Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

[​IMG] Go chronological, and get BG1 first, if you can't decide. Although, IMHO, IWD is better. ;)

7. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I felt like I was stumbling through BG1.

Heck, if you didn't have the journal in PsT, you *would* be stumbling. But the story of Bg1 loops around a couple of times, and it was tough for me to follow.

But, don't get me wrong; I thought the story was considerably better than Bg2. I mainly didn't like the fact I couldn't access inventory while the game was paused.

I never really felt like I was stumbling through IwD. There might have been that one time in the Veil of Shadows, where if you don't explore and scour every single item, you might get stuck. But just getting into Baldur's Gate was tough enough; sometimes, plot *triggers* can really be annoying.

8. Void Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Baldur's Gate is also far more non-linear, there's usually a fair few options that you can choose to do at any given time, while in IWD you are pretty much stuck on the one single quest the whole time.

As mentioned above, Baldur's Gate is much more interactive, while IWD is hack and slash.

You could possibly buy both, as they are both very cheap (even with expansions) these days.
    I would much sooner buy BG2 or NWN though.

One last thing is that in BG, you never get to advance to nearly as higher level as in IWD, though some people like it that way (though you can allways continiue your character on from BG to BG2).

9. DarthMuffin Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

Thx for the advices! I think I'll start by getting BG, so I can understand the whole BG2 story... And since they are really cheap, I'll probably get IWD some day.

10. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

BG1 comes with TOTSC now as well.

11. Shadowhunter Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] BUY BOTH OR FACE MY WRATH :flaming: .

P.S.:

Just kidding :grin: .

12. Mister Rogue Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

IWD is far better on account of the ice, snow, and scimitars- oh, and you can get to a higher level- I also think that BG is lacking as most people (especially in Baldur's Gate itself) are completely unhelpful- "Hello, I look just the same as the guy you just passed, only I am dressed in slightly different colours, I have absolutely no knowledge of events in the city which I live in, so, uh.. get away from me peasant"
    Whereas almost every townsperson in IWD will have some useful information of the town/ place they are in for first time adventurers. (apart from the prisoners in Dragon's Eye that is)

IWD is far better, but don't get me wrong, BG is still pretty amazing in places.

13. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    If you've played BG2 then I'd say IWD

Unless you have a burning question about WTH happened in BG1 then get that (or ask on here ;) )

14. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] i'd probably have to say BG. I've got BG1 and IWD, completed BG1 and am so far up to Chapter2 (i think) of IWD. The reason i've only got that far so far is coz i keep going back to BG1. It's the lack of story and choices in IWD.

My total game time for BG1 at completion was about 160 days (as in, the time on my savegame).I tried to do most of the subquests but still missed off loads. So now, i go back and try the others.

Thus, i choose BG1 over IWD.

15. Psycho. the fanged rabbit Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I am just wondering why you went to BG2 right away with out starting out with BG1. I liked IWD better because it was more constant action and you make your whole party. On the other hand BG has a little better story and I think is a little harder. So you pick based on that.

16. Farthy Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

[​IMG] It's not a bad idea to get both. You don't need to be a millionaire. You just need to be a thirtyaire or whatever. You could probably get both for 30 dollars, trust me.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.