1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

BG III

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 3' started by Tiberius, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

What do I care about sales? All I care about is a good game, as any consumer should.

And realistically, I hardly doubt they have the audacity to make a game that has nothing to do with Charname's coming life and the bhaalspawn progeny at all. It seems more a question of how much will it have to do with it, not if.

2. The Gatekeeper Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Did any of you actually play ToB (j/k) c'mon the bhaalspawn are DEAD. How about we make something up in the time of troubles and fight gods as mortals? I dunno that sounds fun to me but too epic to be a prequel...

3. hecatonheires Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

...i have a interesting idea about the bg3 prequel...

it should be placed in the Time of Troubles..or the Godswar...

imagine that ;) )

4. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    Well, they should definitely leave the Bhaalspawn saga alone. In my book, its wrapped up as well as it can be (with a red ribbon on top no less ^^). No point unwrapping it and making a big mess out of it. I really don't want them to spoil my wonderful memories of a great game and a great story with a bad tie in.
    And if I'm not mistaken, its confirmed to be a prequel that does not tie in directly to the Bhaalspawn saga. IIRC, I read that you will not meet any of the NPCs as it takes place many many years before that, but one might expect an ancestor of Minsc (or something like that). IMHO, its a good call on their part. Kudos to them, for realising that they should not touch the Bhaalspawn saga.
    Not to mention, with Black Isle out of the picture and considering Atari's current track records... well, I am not really so excited about BG3. Lets hope they pull a miracle on this one.

As for the graphics engine, well as long as they pull it off, I don't really care if its 3d or not (while I personally prefer the good old top down view of the Infinity Engine, for me graphics is not a priority, a good story and gameplay comes first, eye candy comes next, although it doesn't hurt to look good, I'd prefer if they pour their resources into the former than latter). I never play NWN in a 3rd perspective, can hardly see a thing so I really hope they give us the option to zoom out to top down view if its a 3d engine.

And can someone link me to how the 3.5e rules work? Honestly, I prefer the 2e (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not too familiar with D&D outside of computer games) of BG2. The classes for BG2 is just amazing (kits and all) and they really stand out on their own giving diversity and uniqueness (while admittedly the restrictions are alittle... well, restrictive), while 3e is just a multi class fest (I usually just stay single classed) although I can't complain about the races. The more the merrier I'd say ;)

Sorry for the long rant ^^

5. Ophelia Gems: 1/31

Firstly, a prequel or similar is not a bad idea.
    Or one could be able to play an intertwined destiny of another character, say like a Drow exile, not unlike Drizzt or Viconia.
    Whilst playing, you will encounter certain happenings from BG 1 and BG 2. Maybe even the Bhaalspawn himself.
    Maybe you were one of Sarevoks henchmen???

When it comes to graphic and style, the standard 2d is very good. I still play BG 1 and BG 2 and feel no reason to complain.
    Like with Never Winter Nights, the 3d graphics just destroyed that special feeling. NWN was a great game but there were too many problems with the perspective and graphic design.

There has to be a way to strike a good balance.
    A first-person view is totally out of question.
    Morrowind is the only game that gets away with that (better than NWN by the way).

BG 3... mm... the word tastes good...

6. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I too am outraged that this is going to be in 3D.

I was hoping for an old-school, some might say "classic" text look akin to Wizardry I. I mean, hey, what's wrong with little black and white line drawings of skeletons and goblins?? Gamers are so shallow these days.

Now if you don't mind, I'm gonna dust off the old Commodore 64 and play some REAL games thankk you very much!

7. The Gatekeeper Gems: 5/31

The forgotten realms is a big world my friends, dont even tell me you cant make a new BG game... Sure the title could use to be dusted off a bit and changed but if they do as good as bioware than the game should be as good as expected...

8. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    So much banter about the engine. 2d, 3d give the new videocards a sweat or not. thankfully some said it it all about gameplay. and that what it was with BG2

some said please no 3d because NWN sucks. NWN was a economical succes and succeses like that make game developrs create game like that. and that is what we want not? NOT TO 3D will be the death of all games coming after bg3. 3d is here, and it will stay unil something better comes along, and that is not 2d. NWN was a gamble that payed up and now they have learnt an listened. Do not worry about the engine, it will be fine.

They never, really never again are going to make a game like BG2 in form of size and roleplaying for singleplayer. why? Because they can only ask payment once. and with many small expands it will be a mess. are you willing to pay double for a game rated just at aproxx 8.5 because it its not for the masses? And we need high selling numbers just to get them to make more. BG2 would now not score very high, not?

O yes I crave for somthing like bg2 but with new paint. I hated the hencman in NWN but still enjoyed it very much. both KOTOR's were nice and I thougt this in forgotten realms? NO! the worlds are to empty, the quest to shallow, the regions to small the game to short.

well let us look at NWN2 to see what Obsidian has made. a tip of the veil will be uncovered by them?
    well we can speculate further to no end. maybe one guesses right.

the 3.5 ruleset. I am getting down on my knees to say praise,... By choosing this ruleset they say we will put effort in it. if they did not put effort in it they will have thought of some stupid skill tree. the ruleset is not something to be scared of. it is a good set better than any other new quickly made one. I know it is not always forgiving for novices. that is what a difficulty setting is for. My first run in BG2 was on easy. Not any more.

To call it BG3. afcourse. sales=money=more games made. There is more Bhaalspawn than just charnamebg2. but was the game not called something with gate and not spawn. Is Athakla not the big town on the map and not Baldurs Gate. So it does not have to be about Bhaalspawn does it. it can be about balduran not?

balduran? yes you know of the schield, sword and armor. as far as I know balduran was a girl. Or the founding of baldurs gate? So get rid of the backwards tunnel view with bg2 at the start. look at the light at the end of the tunnel and hope that it is not the end of the way and only shooters are sold.

9. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

As far as I'm concerned, I'll wait and see. Any BG3 is good. I like it more 2D because I think it'll be easier to make the game bigger (or it won't matter. meh) and therefore, better. 3.5 ruleset will do just fine. And I don't care if the story's unconnected.

10. Whoa.KinG Gems: 1/31

I hope it's a prequel, it'll make me sad reminding me BG series is over but i'll enjoy it more than Balduran's adventures :( .

11. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

[​IMG] Oh great! Look what I finally saw over at IGN.
    Well they didn't have any further updates. Hope Atari actually begin making it sometime soon :mad: :flaming:

12. The Gatekeeper Gems: 5/31

Seems politics are getting in the way of these games, they obviously have no intention of makeing a great game... just money, sorry to say but with the nervous words of atari rep's leads me to believe they plan to leech these titles and reap all of the rewards... There is an equally good chance i am wrong but uhh this dosent reassure anybody...

13. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Keeping in mind that that article, according to the date there, was from April 2004 - a lot may have changed since then.

14. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I second the motion for a return to lvl 1. I would also like the game to take place in a very woodsy, mountainous, rivered valleys type location.

15. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    level one, ok thats fine. kill goblins for a day and we are on level 4... this is the danger that awaits us. for the first part of the game we must have a d level cap forced in exp recieved. I stand for no exp for killing. with later expands we can raise the cap to and later beyond 20 for epic needs.

and so we come into a debate: Is the game nicer on high or on low levels?

for me in bg2 I would give the tactical answer the middle. but after thinking I liked the lower more than the higher. At some point in the Bhaal expand I was not able to win fight anymore. I lost control and did not know what to do. It was my first D&d game. Take the rooms wih all the devils, or the demons in watches keep. Got in the room, fight one and try to escape with no dead, heal, again fight....Later with the six supercreatures i had to cheat to finish the game on normal. The desert battle was nice. Throne of bhaal was no fun for me, I want roleplying to be dominant. I want things like the strongholds. so I played bg2 only in the normal campaign but modded. If I only want combat, I will play guild wars.

My fear is that to please high level players we will reach those levels fast and we have a killing contest. NWN did it good(ducking to avoid the stone trown at me) by setting a cap at 20. With shadows of undrentide bioware made a good expand for all the fans. And it was not linked to the oc. HotU was more for the epic players as a desert. (I finished both on core rules without cheating wiz23/fig6/AA2)

16. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    2D vs 3D:
    2D is tried and true. 3D is 'new'. This means that there is stuff to learn about 3D. I have seen games in which the 3D element was actually a detractor, you couldn't see what you needed and you couldn't tell where you were going. That said, 3D can be a great advantage to the graphics component of a game.
    P.S. I liked BG I graphics better than II.
    THAT said, graphics are right there with music as the LAST concerns as to the greatness of a game. Graphics CANNOT make a game good, only make a good game better.
    Levels:
    Growing from level 1 to level 20 or higher gives teh game a degree of epic scope, not to mention customization. If you have 20+ levels to customize your characters' skills, spells, classes, and such, very few lvl 20 characters will be truely the same. Start at lvl 1, but put a 'gainable xp' min on. This means that, when you're lvl 15, goblins and such won't give you any xp because the xp they would give is below your xp min. On the other hand, dragons still give you xp regardless of where you are in the storyline.
    Atari:
    I think Joust was the last game I thought Atari did a good job on. Did Atari actually make Joust? A company refusing to officially announce the production of a game like BG III in todays environment is hardly evidence that it isn't doing so. THAT said, I hate Atari. I really hate Atari. After ToEE, I want to burn Atari headquarters to the ground. When I heard Atari had control of BG III, I tore my clothes, gnashed my teeth, and put ashes on my head (biblical reference). It will truely be a miracle if Atari itself does anything right with BG III.

17. Starlytt Gems: 1/31

2D has more of a fantasy feel than 3D. In almost every genre that is playable in 2D, the 2D games are more popular than their 3D counterparts.

RTS: Starcraft, Warcraft 2 for a long time, although there are great 3D games aswell (Total Annhilation, WC3)
    Roleplaying: BG > Oblivion (which is okay, but just not as good), NWN (ditto)
    Hack&Slash: Diablo (2) > Dungeon Siege

And music... the music in Total Annihilation *is* half the game, same goes for BG, which has a superb soundtrack aswell.

3D just dispells so much of the fantasy...

18. Late Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Media:
    We'll just have to live with the 3D. The number of max party members should be reduced, however, or the camera angles will be very limited if you wish to see your whole party.

But with the 3D, I'm worried about how good computer will you need to play the game. A thing that added to the popularity of BG1-2 was that it ran on old&slow systems, too.

19. Merlanni

Media:
    And most RPG players have slower machines, so if they want it to sell, keep the specs down. Oblivion is though to run for many persons on this board, and for one game alone, we will hardly upgrade.

20. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    I think it would be wisest to stick to a BG style of view. That way we can get a large party (6-8), which I think we all want as at least an option, and we can run it on realistic machines.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.