1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

BG II - newbie thoughts

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Harbourboy, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Ah, back in the city again. Seems like ages since we were last there. We had to fight some of those damned Githyankis who wanted their broken sword back and then we had to fight some cowled enforcers who turned up even though I don't remember us casting any spells (maybe it was the Githyanki spells they were responding to). Somehow managed to defeat all of them (good old skeletons did most of the work) and then finally go visit Cromwell to see if we had anything he could forge for us. We came away with a Vorpal Sword (cool - just like in Lewis Carroll's "Jabberwocky" poem - I wonder if it goes 'snicker snack'.....) and an Equaliser sword. Might give the Vorpal Sword to Keldorn so he can finally finally get a +3 weapon. Real pain is that we've managed to lose the shaft to the Gesen bow so we couldn't make that one.

2. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Well, if you still have the string for the bow, you could always CLUA the shaft.... :rolling:

3. Laertis Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Since you're back in town, this won't be a spoiler...at least for you :D
    So...how went the meeting with Drizzt do'Urden?

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Oh yeah, that was pretty cool - meeting Wulfgar and the gang. Luckily we didn't kill Drizz't in BG1 so he said he might help us out later on.

5. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

What are the character levels at this point?

Greater Malison goes very nicely with that vorpal sword. ;)

6. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

How did you loose the shaft? Did you pick it up in the bridge district?

Damn, I forgot about that... I totally twated Drizz in BGI, does this mean Im gonna get a rude awakening when I bump into him this time round? Guess he'll be wanting his Scimies back too...

7. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Nah, he wont remember you and believe anything you tell him.

8. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

nice, I'll probably just sneak up behind him and run him through then :D with one of his scimitars no less :banana:

9. Harbourboy

Hmm, I now understand why there is such debate over when to do all the sidequests in this game. After coming back into the city, it seems silly to go off and do quests in Trademeet or the Bridge District when we are hot on the trail of Irenicus and Bodhi. But it's also silly to do too many quests before going after Imoen because that seems to go against the plot as well (except whilst you're raising the 20,000gp).

With that in mind, we have set off to the graveyard to deal with vampires.

Also, I'm getting tired of keeping track of 6 party members so we're giving Imoen a bit of rest at the Copper Coronet. She deserves a drink after her ordeal. That puts the burden of arcane spellcasting for our 5 person party back on Nalia.

10. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Your attitude toward your NPCs is very interesting. I don't think I've ever seen someone drop off party members the way you do. It would drive me crazy to juggle the group the way you do. :)

So have you decided to press on with the story and ignore side quests?

11. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Just make sure you're ready when the time comes to face Bodhi and Irenicus, HB. You'll need all the help you can get...

...although I'm sure Arya is more than capable of handling this, of course.

12. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I would advocate doing all of the major sidequests, you should know them for what they are. This both for the xp and for the loot, find some halfassed RP reason and do it. Listening to your log of your party I would say that there is at least one vital and very cool item you have not picked up and probably a lot more. Difficulty wise I dont think you will have much problem with the remaining of the main quest but do you really want to leave a bunch of things undone in the game?

13. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

speaking of things left undone... has Arya visited the Delryn estate since her return to Athkatla? ;)

14. Harbourboy

We went to the graveyard chasing vampires because that seemed like the logical thing to do and we had a load of stakes that we wanted to get rid of as well. Most of the vampires were pretty easy for Minsc to deal with, using that Mace of Disruption, plus it got even easier when Drizz't showed up as promised. The only problem was that we missed out on loads of XP because Drizz't hacked them up before we got a chance. Plus it takes too long for Viconia to cast multiple Negative Plane Protections so we only ended up sending Minsc and Arya in to fight most of the time.

Finally got to Bodhi and she was disappointingly useless and died after about 4 hits. Luckily the last hit was Minsc's so we got the XP. So we now have that thing that the elves want, plus we have her heart (not sure what that's for). Arya, Keldorn, and Nalia all levelled up in the course of that encounter which was handy, although Arya is fast running out of thief skills to allocate points to.

And we didn't miss Imoen one bit as I think Nalia only cast 1 spell in the whole graveyard (Haste) so there was no need for 2 wizards there. Viconia and Minsc were really all that were needed.

So, I wonder where to now.......

15. Truper Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Bohdi's heart only comes into play if you are persuing a romance.

16. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

...Or if you want to take a big bite out of it and howl at the moon.

Err...sorry. Long day.

17. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Looks like Harbourboy's getting some motivation to try out the Tactics mod during his next run through BG2. ;)

18. joacqin

Media:
    I would recommend a trip to Windspear Hills, judging by your posts you have serious business left unattended there.

19. Harbourboy

I just don't remember doing anything special to kill Bodhi. There have been plenty of much harder fights that have taken me ages to get past.

Joacquin, we did Windspear ages ago. I get mixed up between Umar and Windspear but I know we have completed both those areas.

Actually, there aren't that many interesting looking unfinished quests in our journal. Just that thieves guild one and something about some fallen paladins. Oh, and Haer Dalis being zapped off to that other dimension. Nothing that seems worth diverging off the main story from.

And - the other issue I need to deal with is that Keldorn and Viconia keep trying to kill each other. I reloaded a few times to keep them apart but that seems a bit cheesy from a roleplaying point of view. So I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and let one of them go. And having already lost Anomen and Jaheira, it really can't be Viconia as this game is too frustrating without divine magic (and a 160k XP Aerie is NOT a viable option at this point in the game). Keldorn is not really needed as a tank any more and is really only there for the odd Dispel Magic and because of some supposedly powerful sword that we still haven't found after so long into the game. So it looks like the faithful Inquisitor is about to get a vacation........

20. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

If you haven't found that sword yet, I seriously recommend to follow Joaquin's advice there and go to the windspear hills. Seemingly you've forgotten one HUGE thing (not the sword ;) )

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.