1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

BG comic idea!!!

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by lizardpudding, Jun 27, 2006.

1. lizardpudding Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Okay, I'm a comic creator wannabe, and it suddenly dawned on me that Baldurs Gate is full of little books. These books are like miniature fantasy stories just waiting to be expanded upon! I was thinking i could take some of them, turn them into short comics, and put them up on a site or blog or something for everyone to read. Naturally, I wouldn't try to sell them or make the content mine...just fan-work, y'know?
    Anyway, do you think anyone out there would like to read that?

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

'Twould be interesting.

3. Alehldean

Alehldean For humanity's sake, please keep all appendages

I'm sure a lot of people would at least start reading them. You'd just have to make sure they'd want to keep reading. I for one would be interested in your project.

4. Midwinter Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

If it's high-quality (low-quality fan-produced work seems to be everywhere), I'd check it out.

5. lizardpudding Gems: 3/31

oh, midwinter, 'tis a sad remark indeed.
    I produce ONLY the BEST. Duh.
    (evil chuckle)

6. Midwinter Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Ah, in your profile it says you're an artist and writer by profession... then there's hope for this comic!

7. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

If you end up doing it and post a link I'll check it out.

8. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] I'd be interested :)

9. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

I'd check it out, definitely.

10. zerox Gems: 3/31

I'm interested, any idea when you'd have the time to start the project?

11. kuemper Gems: 31/31

I'd give it a look-see. I don't care if it's cr@ppy in-game scenes or Paint.

You mention books. Are talking about those you find in the shelves like 'History of the North'?

12. lizardpudding Gems: 3/31

@zerox: im moving from oregon to new york city in 3 days to attend a class on acting at the new york film academy, so whatever art projects i start will be a bit on from now (maybe a month, maybe less)
    @kuemper: yeah, books like that! they're all over the place in the game and (i think) pretty interesting mini-stories, books like history of the north, tale of the fateful coin, saga of the bleeding badger, story of king cupcake and the argonauts, things like that. I only recently began actually paying attention to the books and the idea hit on me.

with such a positive, outgoing response from y'all I definitely think i'm going to start work on this project.

I was thinking i could have a recurring character tie all the stories together...but that might make it a bit contrived. unless he was a travelling bard telling the stories...that could allow for a good narrative drive.

uh-oh...now I'm psyched.

13. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Hmm ofcourse I am interested in fan-work, no matter what. Keep us updated!

14. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    If you need a place to post them with a lot of exposure, I could set you up here, on SP... providing the comic's good, of course.

15. Duffin Gems: 13/31

The obvious choice would be Volo (even though hes not really a bard) or maybe Elminster or Drizzt. Or how about a reader from Candlekeep (Tethoril maybe?) recounting the tales from his readings of the great library. Hmm if you wanted to tell the stories from a more well known narrator maybe Haer Dalis, Edwin or Xan?

16. Felinoid

Unless I'm mistaken, Volo is in fact a 1st level bard.

17. Duffin Gems: 13/31

I thought he was a 5th level wizard? Im pretty sure he is. Ive attacked him a few times for a laugh and he uses level 3 spells i think.

18. lizardpudding Gems: 3/31

@taluntain: what a delicious offer! This is obviously the first place I'd want to offer it, as this is such a FANTASTIC site and y'all rock my world.

@Duffin: those characters are a bit TOO obvious, though it's a good idea. I think having a new, original character act as the narrator would lend a bit of fresh-air to the story.

@midwinter: what low quality fan work were you referring to? I'd be interested to see some of the other stuff people have made!

I'm thinking I'll get a blog up and running with concept art and pre-work, then when I have something more concrete finished I'll pass it by the big T...let's hope he doesn't kill me.

ALSO!!!!

If anybody could recommend any good stories (from the aforementioned books) it would be REALLY great. I've got a lot of research work ahead of me!

19. Felinoid

One word: scrolls. Also, the only place I've ever seen him is in Nashkel (in BG1), and there he just runs around like a frightened, but unkillable, little priss.

EDIT: Actually, you seem to be right. The BG1 manual lists him as "Volo (Chaotic Good, Human Male, 5th-level Wizard)."

20. lizardpudding Gems: 3/31

gee, I'm glad the volo dispute has been resolved :D !!!
    okay, I've started up a blog that will help me stay organized until I actually finish one of the comics and toss it to the wolves.
    Link:
    http://talesoftherealm.blogspot.com/
    Stay tuned!

Update:

June 29th: got some narrator ideas and sketches up on my blog. Check 'em out and let me know what you think! here's a DIRECT LINK to the specific sketch I plan to follow in regards to the narrator: http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h118/lizardpudding/bard.jpg

[ June 30, 2006, 01:42: Message edited by: lizardpudding ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.