1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Beyond Galaxyland - Review

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by RPGWatch, Sep 26, 2024 at 11:23 AM.

1. RPGWatch

RPGWatch Watching... ★ SPS Account Holder

[​IMG]Console Creatures reviewed Beyond Galaxyland:

[​IMG]

Review: Beyond Galaxyland

If you're of a certain, let's say...vintage(?), you may remember the classic point-and-click adventures of Day of the Tentacle, King's Quest, or Loom.

Or how about 2D Final Fantasy titles and the classic Chrono Trigger? All of these are industry and gaming staples. Whether you've played them or not, you've likely heard of them. Well I'm here to tell you that the joy I felt from Beyond Galaxyland is on par, and sometimes higher, than some of those gaming gems.

With a stylish pixelated universe, excellent writing, and a highly enjoyable turn-based combat system, this game surprised me from start to finish!

Go Beyond Galaxyland With Doug
    As Doug, you're a high schooler coming home from an event with a friend-a girl (whoa)! But it doesn't take long for things to go haywire. The game may draw inspiration from some of the titles I mentioned above, but it doesn't take as long to get the ball rolling in comparison.

Soon after your beloved guinea pig Boom Boom wanders away, Doug is met by a strange figure, a portal, and a new future he didn't see coming. This is all in the opening 15 minutes of Beyond Galaxyland, and it does not stop.

Beyond Galaxyland is presented in a pixelated style, with some nice depth of field and 2.5D mechanics. This approach brings your brief time on Earth and the universe to life in a way I truly enjoyed. Games like this need a little extra "pizzazz" sometimes. Something to stand out above the rest, and Beyond Galaxyland does that from the beginning. For me, it was an important distinction from the moment I started. The futuristic and retro-inspired stylings are exactly my jam!

[...]

Verdict
    This could be one of the biggest surprises I've experienced in quite some time. Developer Sam Enright may have just whipped up one of the last decade's best sci-fi stories and turn-based RPGs. And I don't say that lightly.

The tone hits all the right marks, the mechanics feel fresh but also familiar and easy to master, and the writing is spot on. Add all this together, and you have a wonderful result.

Beyond Galaxyland feels like a game that is having fun alongside the player. I could often feel the passion project-like nature of the game through my Steam Deck, and it truly paid off!

Score: 9/10

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2024 at 6:21 PM
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.