1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Beta Demo tomorrow 08/18

Discussion in 'Pillars of Eternity' started by Marceror, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    So even though I'm a bit disappointed about the limited scope of the "beta", I'm looking forward to getting my hands on even a sliver of Pillars of Eternity tomorrow.

I've opted to call it a "beta demo" since the scope seems to be closer to that of a demo, than an opportunity to beta test a major portion of the game.

For those who haven't been keeping up, the beta will contain approximately 3 - 5 hours of gameplay, with the opportunity to complete 4 non-essential side quests, so no spoilers of the main quest line. It will include one non-essential town, 2 wilderness areas and 2 dungeons as I understand it.

It will also include the ability to play as any of the 11 classes or any of the game's races/sub-races. You will start at level one, but immediately will be able to level up to 5. And can expect to reach level 8 by the end. The idea is to allow players to see the mid level abilities of each class (max level in PoE at final release will be 12).

I'm probably going to try out the chanter first, though I'm also rather curious about the druid and the cipher.

Anyone else planning to try out the beta demo this week? And if so, what class/race are you planning to test drive first?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  2. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Backer Beta is now live. I'm working from home today, and just finished my download.

3. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Hmmm. I wonder if you working from home had anything at all to do with the beta coming out today.

NAH. I am sure they were completely unrelated. :p

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hehe, you forgot the quotes around "working" from home :lol:

5. Marceror

Media:
    Far be it from me to make such decisions for such self serving reasons! Nope, would never do it. Absolutely not. No way.

:D

You know what BTA... I'll tell you what! I very much resemble that remark!

6. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Well, I tried the beta for about an hour and a half today. I'm a bit disappointed. I had inventory items disappear on me. I think the combat, at least as it is now, is clunky.

The character creation was fine. To get started, I just made a dwarf fighter to see how that played. Turns out the game gives you a party of a rogue, priest, fighter and wizard anyway, so I could have picked something else.

The graphics are pretty great on the big screen, sweeping vista type of thing. I found the individual characters a bit meh, but we'll see if they change that later. I got ass-whooped by a pack of lions, which was kinda neat.

Also, the game differentiates health from stamina, and I couldn't figure out how to restore my health without resting. All of the priest spells seemed aimed at restoring stamina, not health.

Very reminiscent of the games we love here, though. The classes are fairly similar with a couple of additions, although it looked like the rogue really isn't that much of a thief, just more of a squishy damage dealer.

I probably did not give it enough time to really immerse myself into it, so maybe Marceror can add on to this with his experiences. I think it has the potential to be a very good game, but I take exception with calling this a beta. It's really a buggy demo. A beautiful buggy demo, for sure, but still.

I will create an album in my profile and add some screenshots as I take them.

Hugin and Taluntain like this.
  7. Marceror

Media:
    This is a nasty bug. I made several attempts at the game before I was finally able to run through the game without the bug. Supposedly it's better if you don't save your game, but even encountered the bug with no saves made, and no previous saves in my save game folder.

Incidentally, there is another bug that if you double click on an equipped item to unequip it, switch to another character and then back to your original, you will have made a copy of that item. I just learned about this today. Not a bad idea, especially to get extra copies of your wizard's grimoire so that he isn't ever rendered useless (no grimoire = no spell casting). Under the circumstances, I feel exploiting this bug is justified.

Yeah, the game gives you the "core 4" classes. I have been trying some of the others, but most of my games have been bugging out so I haven't always gotten far with them.

The only way to restore health is by resting at an inn or camping in the wilds. It's a very different system, but it's growing on me.

Agreed that the game seems to be headed in a great direction, and may at last result in the first game worthy of being called a true successor to Baldur's Gate. But it is currently veeerrry rough. I have been calling the game a "beta demo". It's a demo that happens to be released during the beta phase of the game, so we're in agreement on that point also.

I'm looking forward to the improvements that will be provided in upcoming patches, and to see critical bugs squashed. I should do some screens too. Until yesterday I really didn't get too much further than character creation due to bugs, but have been getting better at avoiding them I guess. Might be in a better position to actually start enjoying this a bit.

I tried the Cipher for a couple of hours yesterday. It uses its attacks to build focus, and focus allows it to cast magic, mostly debuffs/mind control type stuff. Works well as an archer. An interesting take on a caster type, and very similar to D&D psionics.

Today I'm trying out the barbarian, and I created a druid at the inn for my 6th party slot. Not much to say on either yet, as I haven't even left town with them.

Hugin and Taluntain like this.
  8. Hugin Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I was also a bit disappointed, but the next beta path will be out next week, Brandon said :)

9. Marceror

Media:
    Yeah, he said Obsidian was "hoping" to have a patch out next week. I'll give the backer beta another try when that happens.

Hugin likes this.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.