1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

best way to take out adamantium golems?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by supafamous, Jul 27, 2004.

1. supafamous Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

My party is pretty young. Lucky me I ended up picking the firekraag quest first. I can't seem to kill the adamantium golem. I took out the two lesser ones.

2. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

First of all you need +3 weapons so if you've got a young party you might be out of luck.

If you haven't got tactics installed and aren't averse to a little bending of the rules, you could try running out of the room. The golem can't follow because the exit is too narrow (how did it get in there in the first place?) and then you can fire arrows at it until it dies. I think if you have a character with a 2 handed sword, they can even hit the golem from outside the room and it won't be able to hit them.

Borderline cheating but maybe the only way you'll win this fight.

3. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I don't see it as cheating to use a creature's bulk against it. That's the basis for judo in real life. Anyhow, there are two things that you need to do to take out an Adamantite Golem.

1: You've got to get him stopped. That could mean going through a door he can't get through, or it could mean getting a character who is nigh invulnerable to get in his way while your other characters fall back. One way to do this is to use the Cloak of the Sewers on a warrior -- I believe it's the jelly form that is very resistant to blunt attacks. either way, you can't tangle with this guy in melee for very long -- your blocker character should spend his time drinking potions of healing and/or regeneration.

2: Hit him with weapons he'll understand. At the early stages of the game, this means Melf's Minute Meteors. You might try using +3 weapons, but IIRC, there aren't many of them and they are all melee anyhow, so use the meteors. It'll take a long time, but you might manage to do it if you have enough mages slinging the spell.

3: Theoretically, if you have any spells like lower resistance or pierce magic, using them on this guy should weaken his ability to withstand Magic Missiles -- I've never tested this out fully, though, so this #3 is kind of an addition. The first two are rock solid tactics!

4. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Yeah Lowering resistance is a nifty trick. I used to employ it myself. Genarraly cast lower resistance twice on the golem and then pound it magic missiles etc and of course your blunt weaponary :)

Though i'm not sure if casting Lower resistance twice stacks with each other?

5. nightwood Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

it's a bit of cheese, but what you can always do is the following. stop the golem with an invisible character and then take him out with range weapons. nevertheless you will need magic weapons, no normal arrow will do.

6. Leppi Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Lower Resistance does stack so put three of them in a spell trigger and then pound him with magic.
    He does not have many hp but I do not remember if Lower Resistance affects magic damage resistance or just magic resistance.

7. supafamous Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Thanks for the tips! I'll give it a go with lowering his resistance. As it was, I was only going like 1 or 2 points of damage with meteors and Missiles were totally innefective.

8. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Stone skin + Mirror image = Easy win versus any golem.

Or just get them stuck, easy as that. ;)

9. Thunder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

The bow that makes it own arrows (don't know it's name), that you can buy after concluding the Trademeet quest can also hurt Golems. Get it stuck in the doorway and fire away. The same goes for the dwarven thrower warhammer from the same merchant. The wand of cloudkill (wand, not spell) can also damage it.

If you don't have a blocker then try casting Otyliuke Resilliant sphere (sp?) on one of your characters. The golem will concentrate on this but cannot harm him. Then bash away with any +3 weapon that you got.

10. An-D Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

"I don't see it as cheating to use a creature's bulk against it. That's the basis for judo in real life."

pheaehhaehaeahe :p

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    It's kind of both. Golems have 100% magic resistance, and therefore take no damage from spells. So when you lower their resistance, there's a chance of a spell getting through. Say you lower it to 75%. Now, 75% of the time, magic attacks still do no damage, but 25% of the time they do full damage.

The other thing is lower resistance absolutely stacks. And that's the key to the spell. One casting of lower resistance isn't going to do a whole heck of a lot against a creature with 100% magic resistance. Throwing two or three lower resistances on him is the key. (Which is much easier to do if you have more than one spell caster).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.