1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best way to identify stuff

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Raist, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Raist Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

My char is a ranger and I have tomi with me. I have many unidentified items, what is the best way for me to identify this items? going to store all the time seems to be a bit expensive (I'm just starting the game).
    any reply will be appreciated!

Thanks

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] You need a high Lore skill to be able to identify items on the fly. Since this is affected by INT, it might help if you drink a Potion of Intelligence (if there are any, I haven't found any yet) and your Lore might go up for a short time, enough that you'd identify the items. This is just a guess though, I don't know if it'll work. ;)

I'm playing a wizard and have high enough Lore that I can identify practically anything...

3. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I just used the store and the occassional potion of Lore that I came across. Nearly anything magical will sell for more than the 100gp it costs to id it, so you should be okay in the long run.

The only other option is to pump up your lore skill. So which is more valuable to you? Skill points or gold? :)

Aloha
    Vormaerin

4. Forashi Guest

You can lamecheat your way trough (identify all the items and then load the game where you identify only those that give more gold than you have to spend on identifying them, then sell it all). You can put valuable skillpoints to lore, which I wouldn't suggest unless you really have no other use for the points. Or then just multiclass to lvl 1 sorcerer with identify spell (might be that rangers aren't allowed to switch back after multiclassing).

5. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

You can identify them when you are in a shop or in the Halls of Justice. Most indeed sell are worth more then 100 gold, however many gauntlets are worth 45 GP only.

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Lore is a class skill for Rangers. With my 16 INT, and skill points in Lore (I have 7 skills that I can improve every level up and Lore is one of the ones I do) I've identified everything I've come across.

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited July 01, 2002).]

7. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I have decent intelligence (14), 13 points in Lore, and a ring of insight that gives +5 to lore as well...I am an identifying machine!!!

I also have to say here that the paladin's turn undead ability in NWN is pretty nice too! I went into the cemetary outside the Green Griffon in (spoiler - sorry) and killed about 8-10 zombies just by usng the skill!!! It was fantastic!!!!

8. Rael Elrohim Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

You can get Rings of Insight, which buff up your lore, just put them on to identify the item ,then ditch them. There are lore and intelligence potions too, I think the intelligence one is called Fox's Cunning (which my cleric can cast)

9. Raist Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Ok, thanks for all the reply. Although one question. As a ranger, why would I have a high inteligence? Isn't wisdom much more imporant for a ranger to cast spells??

10. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

A high intelligence gives you better dialogue options and more skill points. Both those things are useful. For spellcasting, wisdom is the relevant stat. You need at least an 11 by level 4 (the game doesn't let you start with less than this, unlike PnP) and having a 14 eventually is important if you want to use all your spells. Beyond that is nice (you get an extra spell or two) but not critical.

Aloha
    Vormaerin

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.