1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best (underrated) weapons

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by david w, Mar 2, 2004.

1. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Ask anyone for their favourite weapons in the game and you'll almost certainly get something along the lines of Crom Faeyr, Flail of Ages, Celestial Fury, Blackrazor, Runehammer...

But what about the other great weapons you can pick up (and often with a lot less hassle than the ones listed above)? Which of those is your favourite?

Mine would have to be the Dragon's Breath Halberd: +4 weapon with an extra +1 fire, cold, acid, poison and electricity damage. One of the few weapons in the game that can inflict some serious damage on the likes of Kangaxx and yet also a weapon that seems to get omitted from everyone's favourite weapons lists.

What are everyone else's?

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    That is good yeah. I also like Daystar for an easy peasy +3 weapon you can get straight away.

3. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

The best melee weapon against undead in BGII until you get Runehammer (ToB) is the Mace of Disruption. It is in a pool filled with blood in the crypts of Graveyard District.

4. Vyndin Source Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Well, Carsomyr +5 is almost the only sword my Paladin used throughout the whole game.

And it was not much of a hassle acquiring it. I mean, a Red Dragon is just my breakfast... :grin:

But to keep it real (saw Ali G yesterday :D ), I'd go with the Daystar longsword that you find in a crypt somewhere in the graveyard. Or was there a Lich guarding it :hmm:

5. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I've always liked the Staff of Curing in the Graveyard district for a soloing druid. Only a +1 enchantment but its good for a alot of the time.

6. Bloodtitan Gems: 8/31

the staff of the ram from ToB, forged by cespenar.

7. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

Namarra, the weapon held by the Crypt King in the Graveyard District. A nice easy fight, and you have a rather good sword.

8. Djieff Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I really like the Defender of Easthaven, bought from Joluv in the Copper Coronet. It's a +2 flail that gives 20% resistance to slashing, piercing and blunt damage. It's great as an off-hand weapon, especially for a Barbarian!

I also really like the magical throwing axes, and the Sling of Seeking.

@ Morsmordre: Daystar is only considered +2, sadly.

9. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Well, not that it´s great or anything.
    But I´ve always like the Blade of Roses for some reason. It´s actually the blade I used all the way from chapter 2 until I defeated Irenicus the first time I played BG2 :)

10. Vyndin Source Gems: 8/31

Was it not Daystar that lay in a chest next to his grave? And what was Namarra... :hmm:

Oh, Adjatha the Drinker is a sword i liked using a lot, regenerating at every hit. ;)

11. spetznaz Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

The ice-morningstar that you get in ToB (can't remeber quite where though, in the beginning atleast). Used that one instead of FoA until I got all the heads.

The Tugian Bow (correct?) from the Beast Master in Coppers Coronet is very nice, especially for dualed mages. 3 shots/round for free.

The Sword of Swiftness (Kundane? My memory seems to fail me again) is also very underrated. Speed factor 0. I had a Stalker once who dualed Short Swords and Scimitars. Belm + Kundane = ;) meating ;)

The Blade of Roses is actually an awesome weapon, so is the Dragonslayer. BoR does damage as a (+3?) Bastard Sword. Very nice.

Pixie Prick and Neb's Nasty Cutter are nice weapons too :)

12. Sintryst Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Regular bastard sword. Serious. My favorite weapons are bastard swords, and protection from magical weapons is a PAIN, as are magic golems.

13. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Definitely the Staff of Goodberries that you get from the Kobalds... I mean, what is more useful then being able to heal 5 hp every day. :D

14. Neeraj the Freak Paladin Gems: 8/31

[​IMG] Mauler's Arm is really good for a Cleric with no warrior background. It gives 18 STR when weilded.

15. Zephyr Angel Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I think that one of the most underrated weapons out there is the Flame of the North +2.

Yeah, it has a +2 enchantment but it becomes a +4 against all of Chaotic Evil allignment!

16. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

The Answerer +2. It may be a little slow, but it have a -2 AC and -15% Magic Resistance per hit on the enemy. Not much left for Melissan in the end.

17. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    There are too many to name, but here's a good list:

Arbane's Sword +2.
    One of the best swords in the game, it protects against all hold-type spells and abilities, even Psions.

Stilletto Demarchess +2
    Dualled with the Pixie Prick, it is a fearsome weapon with the right buffs or character class.

Short Sword of Mask +4
    The Entanglement enchantment rarely kicks in, but when it does the target is as good as dead. With Greater Whirlwind it can be used effectively to bring down solo, uber-powerful monsters.

Scarlet Ninja-To +3
    Belm merged with Jhor the Bleeder. Dual-wielded in the hands of rogue-type characters it is easily one of the game's deadliest weapons.

Blade of Searing +3
    The fire enchantment pierces stoneskin... a nice alternative to the Flail of the Ages.

The +1 Long Sword from Druid Grove
    Unique because it actually shifts in enchantment depending on monster type - it is one of the best weapons a low level fighter can have. Works against Kangaax.

18. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

Since you ruled out Blackrazor, which is just my favorite weapon period!!!!

I'd have to say that daystar is my favorite. There are other weapons I use often as well, like katana +1. You may think it's not very good, but I ALWAYS buy it right out of the dungeon, it's a GREAT weapon!!

Also i often use the sword of Sarevok for half the game until I can get the Jorel's Dagger(forgot name SP), from Joluv, which is the second best 2handed sword :)

19. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

The Root of the Problem is great for fighting Trolls.

The drow weapons are great while in the Underdark so is the armour.

The Staff of Thunder is helpful as well.

20. Winterine Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I like that blade also. Too bad you get it a bit late in the game, but as Velve Zauviir said, it's good against Melissan.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.